Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #37
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
My wife used to take her 05 xb to our local dealership for oil changes (because it was only $20) She took it in once at 40k and they told her the front brakes were totally gone, the rear brakes needed to be cleaned and adjusted, and the brake fluid and tranny fluid needed to be flushed. Total price $700. I told her to just get the oil changed and buy the front brakes while she was there if they weren't too expensive and I would change them myself. When I got home I pulled one front wheel and unbolted the caliper to remove the brake pad and it was only about half gone. I ended up finally installing those brake pads 25k miles later. We have never returned to that dealer and when I bought my Yaris 4 months ago we drove out of our way to go to another dealer. Mabye they thought since she was a woman that she would fall for it. I don't know but you can only try to screw me once. That is all it takes. If you treat me fair I will be a customer for life.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #38
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
Some crazy people like to change wiper blades before they start scoring the 4 concentric quarter circles into your windshield.

Tires rarely stay balanced for the life of the tire. This is why almost every tire place recommends balancing every other rotation.

As far as I'm concerned if you pay for an oil change on a yaris, you're open season(or maybe an open wallet). Dealerships are closing across the nation, the economy sucks, and toyota is taking the brunt of it now because of the pedal recall. If I could make 40 bucks spraying a can of cleaner into your intake, I would too. I also like how preventative carbon maintenance done by a dealer is shunned here, but seafoaming your engine is pretty much SOP.

i have never needed to rebalance a tire. not a single time, ever. I am certain there are reasons to, but by some galactic-chance, I have not.
you read a few posts on seafoaming and you immediately generalize all of us? awesome.

but to tell you the truth: i'll get right on that wiper-blade change, it sounds imminent.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #39
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
i have never needed to rebalance a tire. not a single time, ever. I am certain there are reasons to, but by some galactic-chance, I have not.
Define NEED. Your car isn't gonna fall apart if you don't balance your tires, you just get a smoother ride and longer lasting tires if you do. I'm not making this up... Call a tire shop and ask how many cars never need balancing... lol

Quote:
you read a few posts on seafoaming and you immediately generalize all of us? awesome.
No, I read them a long time ago, and generalized at a later date. I didn't realize it was rude to read people's thoughts on a forum and bring them up later.

Quote:
but to tell you the truth: i'll get right on that wiper-blade change, it sounds imminent.
Good thinking. I know I hate when you get that first rain and the wipers just smear water and dirt all over the windshield.

Anyways, I'm just glad to know that every other type of service worker in the world is extremely honest and nobody outside of car dealerships would ever, ever try to screw anybody over. Its so weird that dealerships work the opposite of the rest of the world. I can rest easy knowing that the plumber/electrician/contractor/etc are charging me the absolute minimum for any job, and would never do unnecessary work on my house, I just gotta check up on that dealership extra now.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #40
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
When my brothers windshield got cracked he was quoted 1300 dollars at the dealer. We found a place 5 minutes from our house for 155 installed.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #41
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Car biz is a dirty biz just like many others.

Whether it's dealers, mechanics, parts, or whatever, a good salesman can spot a "mark" from a mile away.

Do your homework, be an informed consumer, and don't be intimidated or bullied any time you go for any service.

Understand that most dealerships make their money on SERVICE and not the cars themselves.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #42
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
i never bring my car to dealerships unless i have to do a warrenty work, period.

even when i bring my car in, the sales people never attempt to bs me because, as someone already mentioned, they are good at picking their "prey"

seeing my car all done up and souped up, they know that I am a guy who knows the shit pretty well compared to a random asian lady who walks in with their lexus rx 330.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #43
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
I'm in the "good dealer group" also,haven't had any problems with service...pricing.You never know though,the dealership could have changed hands or hired a "d-ck" for a service manager........you just never know.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote