Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #37
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
I consider the ">" symbol to represent "is greater than". So I meant to say that HID projectors are better than HID reflectors in my opinion. Good thing we cleared that up.
taKuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #38
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
what do you mean by 'wrong again'? If I'm wrong for posting an opinion, just say so, you don't have to make me look like an idiot.

GabL, what you will want to do is make a separate wiring harness for the HID's. You will use the low-beam, and the high-beam as the trigger wires, but the high-beam wire will also go to the high-beam bulb.
taKuto, what do you mean by "use the low-beam, and the high-beam as the trigger wires, but the high-beam wire will also go to the high-beam bulb"? Don't quite get it...
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 AM   #39
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
check kthesee out... cant read them but iif i could i would most likely buy them

http://tw.f5.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/e18529582
http://tw.f4.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d25111071
Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #40
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL View Post
GuySmily,

Your diagram shows the connection for H4 HID bulb, will it work with the headlight unit? Can I not just match up the wires (high beam/DRL to halegon, parking to parking, and low beam to HID)?
Quote:
taKuto, what do you mean by "use the low-beam, and the high-beam as the trigger wires, but the high-beam wire will also go to the high-beam bulb"? Don't quite get it...
Where the diagram says H4, it means the stock bulb, not the HID.

Yes, you can match the parking lamp wires from your new housing directly to the stock wires. Yes, you can match the high beam wires up.

There is NO DRL wire. We'll have to sort out how to keep the DRLs working later...

But no, you CANNOT match the low beam wire to the HID. Because your new headlights retain a full halogen bulb for the high beam, it is VERY important to find a different power source for the HID. Remember, the stock wires are only designed to power one bulb (either low or high) at a time. In your case, when you use your high beams, the low and high will be on SIMULTANEOUSLY (to prevent damage to the low beam when flashing at night). This would put too much strain on the stock wiring and is a dangerous choice.

What taKuto said about triggering the HIDs can be simplified.. If you notice in my diagram, to trigger the HIDs you don't use low OR high beam wires at all... You use the common wire!

The common wire doesn't care whether the high beam or low beam is on. As long as one of them is on, it will provide 12 volts. For reasons I explained in the other thread, your HID bulb MUST STAY ON when you flash your high beams to prevent damage.

Here is the same diagram with everything erased except for the low beam / HID:

Basically, for wiring up the low beam HID:
-Use the stock +12v headlight wire (common) to trigger your relay.
-Don't even touch the stock low beam (ground) wire.

There is one flaw to this setup:
What if your headlights are off and you flash someone several times?
Because your HIDs are triggered by the common +12v wire (which powers your high beams), your HIDs will flash with your high beam bulbs.

I have NEVER had to use my high beams to signal someone (instead, by habit, I use hand signals or some other method to get my message across), so for the retrofit on my car I chose simply to ignore this problem. There is another, more complicated circuit which involves the use of diodes, more relays, and all 3 stock wires. Let me know if you're interested and I can dig it up. But if you don't flash people in daylight (or can break that habit) then I'd say don't bother.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #41
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

hmm... it's more complicated than I thought... I was thinking a direct wire to wire change will take cares of this project, but it seems to involve more than I thought. Have to dig up my ECE books to check what those symbols in the circuit means. hahaha! And also need to find a relay and sort out which wire is which...
Old 08-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #42
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Isn't the DRL wire the same as the High Beam wire, just with lower voltage supplied? As I thought the DRL uses the same filament as the High Beam, just with lower voltage?

I don't think I or my gf (she's driving the car mostly) will ever flash anyone.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #43
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:

I don't think I or my gf will ever flash anyone.
Not even for some beads?

LMAO.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #44
taKuto
rice rocket

the DRL is the low beam wire for the echo/yaris.

IIRC I think the 12V wire for the H4 plug is always powered, even when the car is off. When I have time, I'll double check that on my car.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #45
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
It gets even more complicated to wire up the Yaris so you can flash the high beams because of the way our cars our wired. The power is always on, even when the lights are switched off. The high and low beams are switched by way of the ground. Here's how I wired mine:

Unfortunately, the high beam indicator no longer works with this setup. I tried many different resistors to fool the car into thinking there was a low beam filament there but to no avail. I finally wired up an LED on my dash as a high beam indicator.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #46
Violin

R1, R2 and R3 are relays.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #47
Violin

$650 was a great price BTW. Good luck getting them working.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #48
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
$650 was a great price BTW. Good luck getting them working.
If I get it to work! haha
Old 08-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #49
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Wow, the 12v is on even with the car off? I didn't expect that... Sorry for not taking that into consideration, because that does change a few things...

Violin, instead of resistors, have you tried using a small bulb like a turn signal bulb? I would just find somewhere to tuck it away, or even use it to light up the engine bay =p
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #50
taKuto
rice rocket

GabL, i'm sure the only difficulty you'll have is the wiring harness for the HID's. The schematic drawn up by Violin looks to be correct. Just build one of those and you're set.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #51
Violin

If the thought of building a harness scares you, there are plenty of harness builders around. Just explain exactly what you need - that schematic would help a lot.

It would be cheap compared to what you've already invested. Check here for some: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20144
Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #52
Violin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
Wow, the 12v is on even with the car off?
Not the car (ignition), the light switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
Violin, instead of resistors, have you tried using a small bulb like a turn signal bulb? I would just find somewhere to tuck it away, or even use it to light up the engine bay =p
Possible, although I've already drilled a hole in my dash for the LED, so I'm done.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #53
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Just wanted to confirm, is the DRL in our current H4 bulb uses the high beam filament? If so, shouldn't the high beam wire and the DRL be the same with just different voltage supplied at different time? i.e. at DRL, a lower voltage is supplied, and at high beam, full 12V is supplied through the same wire? If this is the case, then I can just wire the high beam wire to the halogen bulb of the new HID unit using the same concept? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #54
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
The key word there is, in "our" headlights. Being as everything is seperate in your new kick ass one's, they may wire things differently right from the start.

I would look into Volins suggestion of someone making up a harness and figuring everything out for you. Might save you some stress in the long run.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote