Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #37
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Computer Science Major? Is that like an MCSE (Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert)?

Anyway back on topic I almost went the carputer route (and might just rip out my headunit and get one done someday), but I would have used an old laptop I have lying around, I'm sure there's a way to fit it somewhere

There's some really cool media control software for carputer use, one amazing one is called Centrafuse, more functions than you can shake a stick at!
Well, my company has MCSP certification, so I guess that makes us Microsoft Certified Solitaire Professionals!

I'd also recommend going the 2nd hand notebook route: It's small, so you can jam it almost anywhere, they draw way less power, are easier to power up off 12VDC, are quieter, more rugged, already assembled, have all the connectivity features you'll be wanting (BT/WiFi/IrDA/Firewire) and generate way less heat. Plus if you get one with an ATI X1600 or GF7400+ graphics adaptor it'll even be able to run 3D games at the screen resolutions you're likely to run - even newer games..

I currently have an old lappie running as a media server in the bedroom, using the (uber cool) open source Media Portal software. For control I just use a Logitech wireless gamepad with a key mapping utility - cheap. simple and effective..

I could jam it under one of the front chairs and have it up and running in the Yaris in minutes - fuck the headache of building a PC and then trying to power it and find a place for it to go
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #38
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
ok I just stumbled upon this thread... just wondering if ya'll knew most home computers ran off of 12 volts.... you will need to remove the power supply that converts 110AC to 12DC and put a voltage stabilizer(wave rectifyer) in there, but that sure beats going from DC to AC to DC again for no reason
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 AM   #39
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
ok I just stumbled upon this thread... just wondering if ya'll knew most home computers ran off of 12 volts.... you will need to remove the power supply that converts 110AC to 12DC and put a voltage stabilizer(wave rectifyer) in there, but that sure beats going from DC to AC to DC again for no reason
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. The ATX specification requires 12DVC, 5VDC and 3.3VDC - all of which must be tightly regulated (i.e. no voltage fluctuations) and clean (i.e. no ripple)

In order to run a desktop PC in a car you will absolutely need power supply of some description, be it a purpose built DC-DC one, or DC-AC-DC in the form of a regular ATX PSU and a DC-AC inverter.

Notebooks with car charger kits are a lot simpler :)
Old 03-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #40
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. The ATX specification requires 12DVC, 5VDC and 3.3VDC - all of which must be tightly regulated (i.e. no voltage fluctuations) and clean (i.e. no ripple)

In order to run a desktop PC in a car you will absolutely need power supply of some description, be it a purpose built DC-DC one, or DC-AC-DC in the form of a regular ATX PSU and a DC-AC inverter.

Exactly. Each route (old laptop vs Mini-PC) has its advantages and drawbacks. My old laptop has two problems: USB 1.1 only, and crappy sound. What I was planning was to get a USB2.0 PC Card, and an external USB sound card like one of the Creative Extigy's. With a custom-built PC, you would avoid these kinds of headaches!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #41
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Exactly. Each route (old laptop vs Mini-PC) has its advantages and drawbacks. My old laptop has two problems: USB 1.1 only, and crappy sound. What I was planning was to get a USB2.0 PC Card, and an external USB sound card like one of the Creative Extigy's. With a custom-built PC, you would avoid these kinds of headaches!

Wow, your old laptop really is old LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #42
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
First laptop I ever owned, even though it's just gathering dust now, it has sentimental value

It was pretty fancy in its time, one of the thinnest lightest laptops available (Asus M2 series, just about 2.2kg for a 14"...)

And the specs are still good enough, 1.8GHz Pentium M, but gonna need a boost in RAM as well. Not gonna do any gaming with it, though, that's for sure!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #43
Razr
YRS WHOR

If you only need USB2.0 for the Creative sound card, an alternative would be a more basic USB audio adaptor (like those that come bundled with better headphones, and actually sound VG), or if you're going full audiophile maybe one of the Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA cards -though the latter is a pricey option.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #44
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Hmm that is a possibility, but can those handle plain old USB1.1? I'm not looking for audiophile quality, but if I can get 4.1 or 5.1 output it would work well with my current amps and speakers. And, I would still want the PCMCIA slot for a USB2.0 adapter, that way I can have a bit more flexibility for peripherals.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #45
Razr
YRS WHOR

Yep, no problems running a headphone style adaptor on USB 1.1, but most are only stereo output. A bit of googling should turn up something suitable.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #46
Razr
YRS WHOR

OK, just googled for: 5.1 usb audio adaptor
Here's a couple of hits on USB 1.1 compat devices:

http://www.usbgear.com/usb-audio-adapter-5/index.html

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...udioadv/micro/
Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #47
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Hmm OK I'll see what I can find

Problem now is the screen...

This one seems just the best:
http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-6500.htm

but seems to be out of production until May when they introduce a new version... Not many other choices for double-DIN touchscreen VGA screens...

Even the single-DIN ones available on mp3car.com seem to have some bad reviews. I'm not even going to waste time to start thinking about finding something suitable locally

Is this just a pipe dream?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #48
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
OK, just googled for: 5.1 usb audio adaptor
Here's a couple of hits on USB 1.1 compat devices:

http://www.usbgear.com/usb-audio-adapter-5/index.html

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...udioadv/micro/
Sweetness! The turtlebeach one looks good, but 5.1 seems to be only achieved through digital output, that's gonna be a pain in the @$$ to interface with plain analog amps

So, that usbgear one looks very promising, thanks for the heads-up!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #49
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:

no problem there guy, that is what a dual wave rectifyer is for :), The power supply in a computer is basicly a transformer and a dual wave rectifyer, the rectifyer will set a specific voltage, no problem, and is basicly a couple Diodes
Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #50
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
the rectifyer will set a specific voltage, no problem, and is basicly a couple Diodes
The keyword being rectifier of course :)

In any case, what youre describing is a DC-DC converter, so we're in agreement
Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #51
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Not many other choices for double-DIN touchscreen VGA screens...
Well, it doesn't necessarily need VGA (or DVI) input - so long as the video adaptor in your notebook can do overscan on its TV output you will get full screen output via composite video. Any ATI 9xxx/1x00 or Nvidia x2GO/5x00+ can do this with the right driver and/or utility, and even some on-board video chipsets can do it.

The only issue then is compensating for the overscan in your media center software, which Media Portal does very nicely
Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #52
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

yeah but the picture quality won't be anywhere near as nice, I'd prefer the pixel-sharp look of a proper PC connection, especially when running software such as Centrafuse

Plus, the laptop has no TV out, so it's a moot point

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #53
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
The keyword being rectifier of course :)

In any case, what youre describing is a DC-DC converter, so we're in agreement
Yes sir lets go drinkin
Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #54
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Ihave this one on my desktop....works nicely for what I want.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote