Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #37
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
If the sedan was so great, then why did Toyota quit offering it in the US market?

And if it is so great, why was it never offered in the European market?

And, if the sedan is so great, why did the hatch outsell it in every market where the two were offered?

Sorry, but it's clear the hatch is the superior and preferred design, which is why it prevailed whereas the sedan is history...

Ya can't argue with facts, but nice try!
well put.....well put indeed! plus is'nt there more avaiable for the hb also?

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #38
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
If the sedan was so great, then why did Toyota quit offering it in the US market?

And if it is so great, why was it never offered in the European market?

And, if the sedan is so great, why did the hatch outsell it in every market where the two were offered?

Sorry, but it's clear the hatch is the superior and preferred design, which is why it prevailed whereas the sedan is history...

Ya can't argue with facts, but nice try!
A). The sedan is not "history"; Toyota has merely delayed the introduction of the sedan until probably next year. It will be available again with the new body style.
B). The european market is totally different than the North American market. Europeans like small hatchbacks, not small sedans.
C). Would like to know where you got your sales numbers; I could not find any. However, seeing as the Yaris in all its iterations is sold around the world, Not surprised that the hatch may be the more popular model, since Americans are not really hatch-oriented like the rest of the world seems to be.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #39
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
THAT'S what I'm talking about! We hatch owners can get things into our cars that the sedan crowd can't (or can, but not without some trouble). What about big tv's, bigger lawn equipment, bikes, etc, etc, etc? I could not live with a sedan - I need at least a hatch, if not a wagon.
I hear ya, Death - and THIS is the size of the kit Im talking about :)

Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #40
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Yaris sedan still on the Canadian toyota site.
Yaris sedan named differently in other markets...
Can't fit 2 adults, 2 kids, a full-size stroller, and luggage into a yaris hatchback...and this coming from someone with a compact hatch and a compact sedan. We used our yaris hatch to move big bulky items and our aveo sedan to move long items and for family trips
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #41
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmobile View Post
well put.....well put indeed! plus is'nt there more avaiable for the hb also?
Thanks, I forgot about that as well. Just another indication of the hatch's superior popularity.

Plus, the sedan I easily confused with the Corolla; but the hatch is truly unique.

I've owned sedans in the past, so I am aware of their positive attributes; but the Yaris hatch is clearly the better and more popular of the two (worldwide sales records prove that!)

Cheers! M2
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #42
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
i gotta another thing also M2......the hatch is kinda unique since how many small hatchs do u see that you could sit 4-5 and DON'T have more than 2 doors? other that the Yaris there's the Fiat 500 but that just got to the states also. And not to step on anybody's toes but Civics are coupes, TC is a hatch BUT it's also larger, CRZ is onle 2 seater, Focus is bigger and only comes in 4 or 5dr. The hacth really don't have any competition, I personally see more hacths than sedans around.

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #43
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
My '08 LB has more elbow room against the door than the sedan. When they restyled the LB for 2012 I wished they had used the nose styling from the sedan instead of the over styled mess it has now.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #44
YARISed

Drives: 2011 S sedan A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Now, a yaris wagon would be the tits
Ditto for LB's and wagons.

Look at it this way. Everybody here bought a vehicle for a reason - transportation. What needs we have for transportation dictates which for us is the better vehicle, sedan "or" LB. The better car will be the one you need because both are a compromise between functionality and preference.

As for me, a secure trunk is a necessity out here hence my choice.
I even purposely leave glove boxes, center consoles open and sun visors down when parked - even at home.
Sort of saying, "Move along, nothing to see here. You mofo's are not welcome to smash my windows and violate my property."

I was seriously considering the LB. I want a liftback / wagon. But for now a sedan is what I need.
YARISed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #45
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
I'll get out off my H.B when you prey my dead cold fingers off the wheel.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #46
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
They stopped the yaris sedan because it was the same price as the Corolla. Those who want a car cheap and fun to drive around town will grab the yaris, those who want more comfort for highway travelling will buy a Corolla, that's it. I think they should have kept the yaris sedan and made the next gen corolla more expensive.
But the best would be to improve the trunk volume of the hatchback yaris, like the Fit, which has as much trunk as a Civic.

Also, does the yaris sedan drives like a hatchnack? The direction sharpeness, road noise, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARISed View Post
As for me, a secure trunk is a necessity out here hence my choice.
I even purposely leave glove boxes, center consoles open and sun visors down when parked - even at home.
Sort of saying, "Move along, nothing to see here. You mofo's are not welcome to smash my windows and violate my property."
I'd smash your window just because I think your behavior is really stupid.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #47
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
used my hb to bring two nighttables to my place.. both were in cardboard boxes that (I think) would not fit through the rear door of seadn (I did not expect that packaging would add so much volume).. i carried one on the front pass. seat and another one in the trunk (rear seat flat)

http://photo.qip.ru/users/tolmach/95112742/127439395/
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #48
YARISed

Drives: 2011 S sedan A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
I'd smash your window just because I think your behavior is really stupid.
Undiagnosed anti-social disorder?

The idea is to deliberately declare that there is nothing valuable inside the car worth stealing.
Logically it would discourage small item thieves (GPS, iPod, cellphone, etc.) to break in if its not worth it.
Car break-ins for the silliest reasons are common in some areas of the city.

If I lived in a more laid back town, then that would be a different story.

Now back onto topic.
YARISed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #49
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARISed View Post
Undiagnosed anti-social disorder?

The idea is to deliberately declare that there is nothing valuable inside the car worth stealing.
Logically it would discourage small item thieves (GPS, iPod, cellphone, etc.) to break in if its not worth it.
Car break-ins for the silliest reasons are common in some areas of the city.

If I lived in a more laid back town, then that would be a different story.

Now back onto topic.
That kind of attitude encourages the idea of always fearing the others and creates a bad atmosphere in the neighborhood imo. In some countries, they don't even lock their bicycles, and everyone is happy.

For me, "declaring" that way that you have nothing to steal would challenge me and I'd be even more tempted to try to steal you something, or just smash your window for fun.
Anyway, I would never steal, so you don't have to worry about your yaris.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #50
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I bought a Sedan, but honestly I prefer the hatchback, especially the 5door.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
That kind of attitude encourages the idea of always fearing the others and creates a bad atmosphere in the neighborhood imo. In some countries, they don't even lock their bicycles, and everyone is happy.

For me, "declaring" that way that you have nothing to steal would challenge me and I'd be even more tempted to try to steal you something, or just smash your window for fun.
Anyway, I would never steal, so you don't have to worry about your yaris.
if you live in NYC you should fear everyone. That is just the way it is. If you've never been there you couldn't possibly understand. The crime and stupidity displayed their are like nowhere else.

Making sure the morons roaming around at 3am know you have absolutely nothing in your car is the only way to guarantee they won't smash your windows. They aren't going to do it just out of spite, because a smashed window means an alarm, and that will draw cops. But if they don't know, they might try, because you never know what might be in a car. You do a car every few blocks you might get lucky and score enough loot to sell for a few hits of your favorite drug.

Their is no friendliness in NYC. Their is no trust. History killed that a long time ago.