Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #37
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
That's the reason I got rid of my Bimmer!
Is bimmer that bad?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #38
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
Is bimmer that bad?
Not all- I had a 1985 325i Zinnerbot, and it was great.

My '04 545i, on the other hand, CRAP. Everything on that car broke at least once- it was all under warranty, but I was in a loaner/rental more than I was in my 545. It didn't qualify for Lemon law, but I bitched and screamed and threatened until the dealership bought it back. From what I hear, the sales manager drove it for 6 more months and then sent it to auction.

But, like I said, not all- my buddy Len has an '05 M3 with 40,000 miles and not a single problem.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #39
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Not all- I had a 1985 325i Zinnerbot, and it was great.

My '04 545i, on the other hand, CRAP. Everything on that car broke at least once- it was all under warranty, but I was in a loaner/rental more than I was in my 545. It didn't qualify for Lemon law, but I bitched and screamed and threatened until the dealership bought it back. From what I hear, the sales manager drove it for 6 more months and then sent it to auction.

But, like I said, not all- my buddy Len has an '05 M3 with 40,000 miles and not a single problem.

My wife's 05 X3 is no winner either. Tons of nagging design flaws and service from the dealer is less than spectacular. We are trying to dump the lease for a new Camry Hybrid!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #40
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
I thought the Aveo is made in Korea by Hyundai in the same factory where they build the Hyundai Getz... it looks much better than a Fit
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by forpinks View Post
I thought the Aveo is made in Korea by Hyundai in the same factory where they build the Hyundai Getz... it looks much better than a Fit

No, its made by Daewoo which is a separate Korean car company that is now owned by GM at least to my knowledge. Hyundai does own KIA, maybe you were thinking of that...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #42
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
my bad news: I got rear-ended last week, and my '07 Yaris is totalled...(I'm fine, and insurance will take care of the car)

other bad news - my rental is an Aveo. The Aveo (which, in its defence, is better than the Kia I drove the last time my car was in the shop) is a piece of crap compared to the Yaris. Mileage, handling, fit 'n finish, etc.

I agree that the typical buyer for a Yaris will probably be comparing it to an Aveo or a Focus, not a Fit or Versa. The Yaris wins hands-down.
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #43
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, the focus and cobalt are compacts, and the kia rio,chevy aveo,honda fit,and nissan versa are all sub compacts.

A base focus and cobalt are in the 13k+ range where I live, and the aveo,rio,and my yaris are all in the sub 11k range before dealer mark ups/delivery charges, ect.

the cobalt is lucky to hit 30+ mpg, and I used to work at a ford dealership and while the focus is said to get 30+mpg highway, its more like 25...it gets horrible milage from the people I talked to. both these cars are compacts and not in the same price range and class as the aveo and yaris.

the fit and versa from what I have seen, while sub compacts, dont get the milage or the same base price as the yaris,rio,and aveo.

P.S. the engines in the base focus and cobalt are nothing special...while the ecotec in the cobalt is said to have lots of potential with tuner parts, it is also plagued with mechanical issues, one of the reasons I sold my 05 cavalier(at 10k miles the engine refused to start when cold...after about 4 minutes of cranking it would finally fire, and the dealership could not solve the problem.) and didnt buy a cobalt or a focus...those things were always in the shop.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #44
clayky

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Well in fact, the Aveo is a Daewoo - which is both Korean and owned by GM.

I dont know where the US market Aveo's are made, but the one's they're flogging around here are made in India.
The US Aveo's are all made in Korea...
clayky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #45
clayky

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan
[QUOTE=redyaris;66324]No, we just had someone that tried to do that. He flamed me, I handled him and he is gone now. This poster btw admonishes me and others in another thread for acting like 'junior high' however. Hypocrisy at its best!

Ive also had a Nissan Maxima, a Honda Del Sol and a Volvo 850 turbo, each of which outperformed the domestic cars in every regard and went over 100K without a sweat...In fact, I wish I never sold my Honda as it was the best car I have ever owned!!!!

QUOTE]

I agree Red, I had a '94 de Sol VTEC......160 ponies, loads of fun and never a hint of a problem.
clayky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #46
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I bought a Yaris because it was exactly what I wanted and I didn't have to buy it with all the power stuff that -always- has problems. This was my ideal car since Volkswagen is -never- going to release the Polo here.
I dont know about in the states, but here VW sells it's previous generation Jetta and Golf as the City Golf and City Jetta: low cost alternatives with 4 cyl only and most dont have power options, and I think the base price is something like 13,000 CAD. They dont get near the fuel economy of the Yaris though and newer VW's are severely dealer dependant for maintenance, not to mention the heavy cost of parts...
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #47
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
This may be just a touch off topic, but have you noticed how the fuel efficiency for economy cars seems to have actually decreased across the board over the past decade? Toyota seems to be the only brand capable of really pulling off impressive mpg with a small engine anymore. The Honda Civics still have high marks, but the Fit, which you would expect to be awesome ni that department, actually gets fewer mpg. Very strange. Makes it hard to shop, when mpg and price are your two main objectives.

~YR
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #48
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
why why why???????????

why is aveo even in here........"oh wait just want to make sure i didnt start this forum....." no i didnt.... SO! why is this even here?????????lol..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #49
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
This may be just a touch off topic, but have you noticed how the fuel efficiency for economy cars seems to have actually decreased across the board over the past decade? Toyota seems to be the only brand capable of really pulling off impressive mpg with a small engine anymore. The Honda Civics still have high marks, but the Fit, which you would expect to be awesome ni that department, actually gets fewer mpg. Very strange. Makes it hard to shop, when mpg and price are your two main objectives.

~YR
Well, weight is the enemy of MPG, right? It seems like the car companies are afraid to keep their cars light (think Honda CRX or Geo Metro)... they believe that Americans won't buy anything "less than substantial." So poundage is added, and MPG suffers.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #50
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
[quote=clayky;66865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
No, we just had someone that tried to do that. He flamed me, I handled him and he is gone now. This poster btw admonishes me and others in another thread for acting like 'junior high' however. Hypocrisy at its best!

Ive also had a Nissan Maxima, a Honda Del Sol and a Volvo 850 turbo, each of which outperformed the domestic cars in every regard and went over 100K without a sweat...In fact, I wish I never sold my Honda as it was the best car I have ever owned!!!!

QUOTE]

I agree Red, I had a '94 de Sol VTEC......160 ponies, loads of fun and never a hint of a problem.
I had a '93 Del Sol Si and it ran perfectly. I sold it at around 80K. It was 10 years old... Everything worked perfectly. All I did was change the oil and brakes. It also had synthetic oil in the tranny and engine at all times. I really miss that car.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote