Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #37
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
People who write their telephone number like this: 6 five_7 five3 nine 024two
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #38
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswf View Post
Geez. I didn't just buy a dependable fuel efficient car. I feel like this car carries a title...

I bought the title of speech and grammar police (or English teacher).

Taking my Yaris back tomorrow and getting a Ford truck.
(I kid, I kid...)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
A man married into my extended family. He had one previous marriage. That marriage produced one daughter. Early on in the marriage, that daughter referred to our family as 'those people who can't construct a proper sentence (when speaking)'. I had to chuckle a bit when one of 'those people' in my family earned a full academic scholarship to Stanford Law School, which enjoyed (and still enjoys) a higher ranking than the aforementioned daughter's alma mater.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 AM   #39
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
People who write their telephone number like this: 6 five_7 five3 nine 024two
Screams ITEMS FOR SALE ON CRAIGSLIST .
Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Actually did in a couple months ago while I was in Arizona.
Wow. I haven't seen one of those in ages. I did use a gas pump in 2007 that had those rolling wheel numbers. It was located on the 'main drag' in Tupelo, Mississippi.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:59 AM   #41
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
-People who (when I am in THE SLOW LANE on the freeway or on a multi lane in each direction surface street going the speed limit or slightly under) don't like the speed I'm going and 'to teach me a lesson' try to come as close as possible to the corner of my rear bumper as they are switching lanes and passing me. About 35% of the time, the person also tries to come as close to sideswiping me as possible. This almost never happens to me in the SF Bay Area. Here, it happens probably every other day. The southern half of Florida though is far worse though, IMO, re the neanderthal proclivities of some drivers.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...4238.html?vp=1

Since you mentioned Florida, the dumb arse in the Ford did get what he deserved, but the woman should have also let him pass...(second) but that road isn't a freeway so I guess there isn't technically a dedicated passing lane.

*edit: Also, for those dumb arses that love to tailgate when I'm in the most right lane

trolololol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #42
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post

Since you mentioned Florida, the dumb arse in the Ford did get what he deserved, but the woman should have also let him pass...(second) but that road isn't a freeway so I guess there isn't technically a dedicated passing lane.

*edit: Also, for those dumb arses that love to tailgate when I'm in the most right lane

trolololol
Yeah, South Florida is 'a whole nother level of crazy'. I almost got run off the road on I-75, and another time (thanks to my horn, paying close attention, and deft driving on my part and people going in the opposite direction who heard my horn) I narrowly missed a head on collision with a Mini...whose driver was trying to pass 10 cars before a blind curve (on the old highway that goes from Winter Haven, FL to Ft. Myers, FL). Both happened while driving my Yaris. I detailed each in previous threads (in long posts ).
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #43
Kaotic Lazagna

hmmm, looks like I'll be staying away from Florida. hahaha
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #44
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I used to live in Florida. Driving there is downright crazy really.

•Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk•
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #45
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I got a bright red car so that people would see me, they don't.
I got a loud exhaust so they could hear me and know I am there, they don't.
I got Hella Horns for when they chose not to look or even pretend to be paying attention.
Now they tend to know I am there so that we can communicate in sign language.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #46
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
I got Hella Horns for when they chose not to look or even pretend to be paying attention.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #47
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
hmmm, looks like I'll be staying away from Florida. hahaha
If you draw a line (across the whole state) just south of Bradenton, anything north of that line has been fine (in my experience).
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #48
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Have You Ever Seen...

... a brand new car with the 'license applied for' in the window still, all dented up? I have, now that's sad...
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #49
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #50
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quote:
-People who don't use turn signals when there are cars behind them.
OH YES!
10% of my brake war is due to "oops-I-just-decided-to-take-this-exit-of-the-roundabout[they're quite common here]-idiots"
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
... a brand new car with the 'license applied for' in the window still, all dented up? I have, now that's sad...
Yep. It was a Chevrolet Sonic. I described it here in a post. DebbyM46227 wrote here that it was from a hailstorm. She wrote that the same thing happened to her car. Mother nature sometimes has the fury poor drivers save for other drivers.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #52
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Quote:

trolololol

No matter what. No matter which lane I'm in. Number of lanes. Or type of road (highway or street).
IF someone is trying to get by, I get out of their way. Always. Even if I have to change lanes into a tight spot.
EVEN IF the person in front of me is going slow. If someone is in a rush (more than me, and I move fast), I respect them and move out of their way.

But if I'm trying to get somewhere and I'm not shown courtesy at least in the left lane. Or if they speed up when I try to pass them... I've been know to dump a soda out the window slowly when I get in front of them. Rainex doesn't even combat that. They can enjoy their sticky windshield.

Aside from that, when it comes to getting by me, I could be the most courteous driver ever. I'll see you coming from far away. I check my mirrors constantly. 320 miles a day in my Yaris. 0 accidents. Been doing this for years. I know for a fact that I TOO can avoid accidents myself by simply being courteous to those in a hurry. And I'm sure me moving over asap calms their nerves some too.

That trucker in Florida would have given me a thumbs up. Not the middle finger up.

chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #53
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
No matter what. No matter which lane I'm in. Number of lanes. Or type of road (highway or street).
IF someone is trying to get by, I get out of their way. Always. Even if I have to change lanes into a tight spot.
EVEN IF the person in front of me is going slow. If someone is in a rush (more than me, and I move fast), I respect them and move out of their way.

But if I'm trying to get somewhere and I'm not shown courtesy at least in the left lane. Or if they speed up when I try to pass them... I've been know to dump a soda out the window slowly when I get in front of them. Rainex doesn't even combat that. They can enjoy their sticky windshield.

Aside from that, when it comes to getting by me, I could be the most courteous driver ever. I'll see you coming from far away. I check my mirrors constantly. 320 miles a day in my Yaris. 0 accidents. Been doing this for years. I know for a fact that I TOO can avoid accidents myself by simply being courteous to those in a hurry. And I'm sure me moving over asap calms their nerves some too.

That trucker in Florida would have given me a thumbs up. Not the middle finger up.

Here (and in Florida....and in some rural counties in California) one should take into consideration that the other driver might be packing. Not a huge concern in any of the 9 Bay Area counties. In the Bay Area, I've observed that incredibly selfish, dangerous drivers (ones who make idiot last second 'my time is too valuable to miss this exit' maneuvers) are usually driving 75k + cars.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 AM   #54
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:

Depending on road conditions and traffic congestion, I'll move out of the way even if I'm in the slow lane. I like being courteous, but if one chooses to tailgate me, well, I'll just purposes slow down a little (not brake, just back off the gas a bit). So far, this sticker works 9/10 times I would say. haha. But at the same time, I would hope that other drivers are considerate as well; if there are open lanes to pass, then just pass.