Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #37
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Interesting that none of your quotes include front or rear wheel drive in the definition (and neither did any I found) -- therefore, are you willing to drop that detail?
Nope,a true sportscar is a rwd 2seater vert. Thats the original definition. Ever heard the saying "Corvette,americas only true sportscar",and that was the truth till the viper came out.

None of them are my quotes,I'm using your own questionable wikpedia link against you. Anybody can post definitions on there apparently(wikpedia).
Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #38
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Hah! I bite my thumb at your definition!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

"A sports car is type of automobile designed for sporting performance. While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability. Great emphasis is often placed on handling—the ability of the car to remain in the control of the driver under challenging condition such as when the car's tires begin to lose their grip on corners."

There are plenty of ways to define it, but your "official" definition?
I like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
Nope,a true sportscar is a rwd 2seater vert. Thats the original definition. Ever heard the saying "Corvette,americas only true sportscar",and that was the truth till the viper came out.

None of them are my quotes,I'm using your own questionable wikpedia link against you. Anybody can post definitions on there apparently(wikpedia).

BTW, aren't convertable considered roadsters? More so than sports cars? Wouldn't that mean that Supras, and RX-7's aren't sports cars, since they wern't offered in a convertable option? That would only leave the s2000 so far, that I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, and the 350z.

I don't think the most current 'Vette Z06 came as a convertable, does it?

Would rally cars be considered as sport?

This entire "sports car" argument kinda reminds me of what a real "ricer" is. Though the original term came from describing Japanese motorcycles, the term is used as derogatroy towards Japanese cars nowadays.

Its so vauge in description, since theres so many different variations.

Like those Crossover SUV/SAV/whatevers. Not quite this, but not quite that. Though Crossovers, I think, is in its own class.

Oh, and where would an M5 fit? mmmmm I love that M5 goodness.

OH! and since M6's were derived from a covertable, with a carbon fiber non-removeable top... sports, or not?

A lot of people bring up good points, but theres so many other things that'll contradict (or so it seems) everyones reasoning. A vauge description would fit for a vauge class. Sports = something sporty. or potentially sporty.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #39
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I like this one

BTW, aren't convertable considered roadsters? More so than sports cars? Wouldn't that mean that Supras, and RX-7's aren't sports cars, since they wern't offered in a convertable option? That would only leave the s2000 so far, that I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, and the 350z.

I don't think the most current 'Vette Z06 came as a convertable, does it?

Would rally cars be considered as sport?

This entire "sports car" argument kinda reminds me of what a real "ricer" is. Though the original term came from describing Japanese motorcycles, the term is used as derogatroy towards Japanese cars nowadays.

Its so vauge in description, since theres so many different variations.

Like those Crossover SUV/SAV/whatevers. Not quite this, but not quite that. Though Crossovers, I think, is in its own class.

Oh, and where would an M5 fit? mmmmm I love that M5 goodness.

OH! and since M6's were derived from a covertable, with a carbon fiber non-removeable top... sports, or not?

A lot of people bring up good points, but theres so many other things that'll contradict (or so it seems) everyones reasoning. A vauge description would fit for a vauge class. Sports = something sporty. or potentially sporty.
All I'm saying is the original definition was a rwd 2seater vert,it has been changed overtime by popular demand I guess lol. There is a lot of well performing cars that don't fit the definition of a true sportscar. And yes you are correct,their was no vert z06 and therefor technically not a true sportscar,funny but thats how it is. You can see how it got minipulated over time though with the availability of the same cars with hardtops etc.