Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #55
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post

The only reason I can see wanting a Yaris is for the 3dr or the sedan, i'm not sure why anyone would buy a 5dr yaris (no offensive to 5dr yaris owners, please enlighten me!).
I can totally see why 3dr LB owners would want to get a 5-dr: you get to keep the LB style, car is pretty much the same body size, but it's 100 times more convenient for getting people and stuff in and out of the back seat (getting people through the front doors is kind of awkward and gets old eventually).

I have a 3dr myself, only because I don't use the back seats much. If I did, I would have gotten the Fit or the Matrix. Putting in doors in the back is a pretty smart move, i think. My 2 c.

Last edited by tomato; 03-01-2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typos
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #56
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
not the proper comparison, since that is an automatic yaris 5 dr liftback.
automatic fit starts at $15,550
It still doesn't matter.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #57
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglemobile View Post
Anyone remember the Honda Accord station wagon? Or for that matter, the Accord hatchback? I saw a guy a few weeks ago with one of the HBs in mint condition.
Yea! My ex's father has the Accord wagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Yeah, Hyundai stinks.

Dude, welcome to 2009. Hyundai is now among the best.

In the last 5+ years, Hyundai has made incredible gains in quality with their cars (styling too). They arent "shitboxes" anymore.

Even if one buys an Accent (and IMO the new ones are nice, save for the interior dash), you neednt fear it falling apart after the standard 5 yr / 100,000 km warranty expires.

And the new Elantra Touring (read: hatchback) that just came out... brilliant!! Id rather own it than a Toyota Matrix if I was shopping now in that class.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #58
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
You can't cross compare years.
i'm not sure why anyone would buy a 5dr yaris (no offensive to 5dr yaris owners, please enlighten me!).
Bc it has 4 doors! Cant stand 2door cars. They drive me nuts for the poor accessibility to the backseat when its needed (and this is coming from a guy who is usually driving by himself).

But also, in the Yaris Hatchback's case, I dont like the styling of the 3door yaris... it just feels/looks like its lacking something to me...

I much prefer the looks of the 5door yaris hatchback.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #59
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
In the last 5+ years, Hyundai has made incredible gains in quality with their cars (styling too). They arent "shitboxes" anymore.
That's funny. So - over the last 5 years - hyundai has turned from the creator of "shitboxes" by your own terminology, to "one of the best."

How exactly do you know this?? Considering none of the cars created in this "5 year golden age of hyundai," have been in the consumers hands long enough to give conclusive results? I still don't see many 04 hyundais, and again, when I do, they sound like complete crap, and are just hobbling around town waiting to explode on some unsuspecting person. Maybe the complete restructuring and turnaround of hyundai didn't start til 05??

Actually forget it. If you think a company can go from turning out steaming piles to golden eggs overnight, there's no point in this conversation. Go buy a hyundai. I'm sure it will last 10 years, 200k miles with NO problems.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #60
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkinheimer View Post
Be glad that people comare the Yaris to another good car, and not a Hundai or Kia...
Dont forget Daewoo

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #61
SurfinYaris

Drives: White Yaris
Its because we have DOHC motor and Fit have SOHC... if you get my sarcastic
SurfinYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #62
upyaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Frankly, everyone I talk to that has a bought a Honda within the past 4 years has had nothing but problems.
2006 Accord - Back window leaked and airbag recall.
2006 Civic - Driver seat back pops off, broken side mirrors as they do not bend when hit.
2008 Civic - Wind noise from window not closing property.

I haven't heard a complaint yet from a new Toyota owner. Oh, most Hondas aren't manufactured in Japan anymore. Probably why they aren't working as well.
2008 Meteorite Metallic Hatchback, TRD lowering springs, TRD rear sway bar, TRD exhaust, 17" LiquidMetal wheels w/ Yokohama "S" drive wheels, 10" Fusion subwoofer w/ 400 watt amp, infiniti speakers, AFE stage 2 CAI, 35% window tint, wind deflectors, euro taillights, NST SSK1 & SSK2, and NST lightweight pulleys!.
upyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #63
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Actually forget it. If you think a company can go from turning out steaming piles to golden eggs overnight, there's no point in this conversation. Go buy a hyundai. I'm sure it will last 10 years, 200k miles with NO problems.
I dont think their cars are "one of the best" -- wasnt me who said that. I merely said they arent crap-cars anymore.

Now granted its only the latest gens that seem to be improvements. there isnt any long-term data to support that they wont fall apart after 5+ years, but with the if you read reviews, hyndais are being almost universally lambasted anymore by reviewers.

The quality of internal materials is now running close to par w/ others in their respective segments (eg. accent vs. yaris, elentra (touring) vs. corolla (matrix))

i woudlnt be surprised to see these current gen hyundais last 6,7,8 years.

and just to note, ive had my yaris now 3 years, and ive had lots of probs w/ it, and its a wonderful toyota product.

low-beam/high-beam stalk went (couldnt turn on highbeams), rust on breakpads causing whine when breaking, that damned bloody ABS sensor/harness BS (in now for my 4th fix... 3 sensors + the harness now!), radio stopped reading CDs when cold, that recent recall issue, etc)
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #64
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
ill take the 09 fit front end then keep my read end on my yaris hatch then take the fit gauge interior as well as the steering wheel then keep my yaris seats and clove compartments.. also take the fit 09 engine 117hp then keep my yaris manual transmission.

now thats customade...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #65
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
ill take the 09 fit front end then keep my read end on my yaris hatch then take the fit gauge interior as well as the steering wheel then keep my yaris seats and clove compartments.. also take the fit 09 engine 117hp then keep my yaris manual transmission.

now thats customade...
Sounds like a perfect car
Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #66
田中秀樹

Drives: SW20
Quote:
Originally Posted by upyaris View Post
Oh, most Hondas aren't manufactured in Japan anymore. Probably why they aren't working as well.
Neither are most US Market Toyotas.
田中秀樹 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #67
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 田中秀樹 View Post
Neither are most US Market Toyotas.
The Yaris is though.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #68
田中秀樹

Drives: SW20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktiger60 View Post
The Yaris is though.
And so is the Fit.
田中秀樹 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #69
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post

Even if one buys an Accent (and IMO the new ones are nice, save for the interior dash), you neednt fear it falling apart after the standard 5 yr / 100,000 km warranty expires.
I have an '07 Accent hatchback, and while it's no Yaris, it's a decent little car, about 50K miles and no problems at all yet.

I still love my Yaris 100000 times better.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #70
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
I have an '07 Accent hatchback, and while it's no I still love my Yaris 100000 times better.
I would too!! (But i do like the new gen accent hatchbacks)
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #71
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
You paid approximately $19,500 for your Fit (auto?). How much was your Yaris again?

The Yaris was a lot less...it's also a lot less car. Less safer, less-than-steller handling, less air bags, less navi, less esc, etc.

As Toyota and Honda sales plummet during this Depression, the Phit sales increased 2.3% in February. Wonder why?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #72
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post

now thats customade...
now we just need a rendering!