Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #55
Jeff@MicroImage
"Know it all"

Drives: Lancia Delta Integrale
Looking great!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #56
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Thanks everybody.

It's hard to tell from my original pics, but the old paint was really beat. I had a half dozen dings and dents from top to bottom, most around the door line. The old paint had almost 500,000 miles on it, although it hung in there pretty well it had taken it fair share of abuse.

Now you need to be 6" from the car to find it's flaws, instead of being able to see them from 16'. LOL

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the headlights still...tails I'll probably pick up tomorrow from MI.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #57
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
almost 500,000 miles on it
Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #58
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Wow, how many miles are on your car?
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #59
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

Who pimps out a car with a half million miles on it? I DO!

My Yaris is putting in work in this life, maybe in the next life it can come back as a butterfly or a lilly pad or something...but for now it's

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #60
NateDogg

Drives: Toyota Yaris
That prep makes me cringe. You get what you pay for.
NateDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #61
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogg View Post
That prep makes me cringe. You get what you pay for.
Wow, you have an amazing ability friend...you can visualize the unseen. That's day 1 & 5 of around 12.

If you knew how much I paid you'd realize I got A LOT more than I paid for. ;)

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #62
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S

Whatcha lookin at getting for lights? All i can see from the pics is that it looks like yours are a bit hazy. . . and your tails look great :O They got unseen flaws?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #63
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post

Whatcha lookin at getting for lights? All i can see from the pics is that it looks like yours are a bit hazy. . . and your tails look great :O They got unseen flaws?

Some type of HID projector setup, I don't think I want to retro fit these ones because they've seen a lot of road time.

The tails I picked up for about 30 bucks here. The passenger side has a leak and each one has a corner chipped off. The previous owner opened them up and kind of botched the re-seal so I opened them back up and blacked out the background, masked the covers and edged both with a few coats of tint spray to cover the ugliness. They are only slightly less ugly now...but were a test for me to determine whether or not I like them and I do so they served their purpose. They're fine from a distance and at night and whatnot, but they stick out like a sore thumb now.

I forgot to get a hold of Jeff @ MI earlier...I'm going to email him real quick about those tails.

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #64
NateDogg

Quote:
Wow, you have an amazing ability friend...you can visualize the unseen. That's day 1 & 5 of around 12.

If you knew how much I paid you'd realize I got A LOT more than I paid for. ;)
You dont honestly think they worked on your car for 12 days do you?

Visualizing exactly what you showed us, I'd say theres no more than 3 hours of masking and prep, a couple of hours of paint, all in a days work. The other 11 days your car probably sat in the corner watching all the other cars come and go getting proper paint jobs.

A couple of hours of R&I's or even partials and you could have easily had a proper paintjob, doubled its value and have no worries in the future.

Dont get me wrong it looks great and all, but theres still a chance its going to chip in all the areas that were or weren't masked off. I'm also guessing your ac/rad are covered in overspray.

You got exactly what you paid for.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #65
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
You dont honestly think they worked on your car for 12 days do you?

Visualizing exactly what you showed us, I'd say theres no more than 3 hours of masking and prep, a couple of hours of paint, all in a days work. The other 11 days your car probably sat in the corner watching all the other cars come and go getting proper paint jobs.

A couple of hours of R&I's or even partials and you could have easily had a proper paintjob, doubled its value and have no worries in the future.

Dont get me wrong it looks great and all, but theres still a chance its going to chip in all the areas that were or weren't masked off. I'm also guessing your ac/rad are covered in overspray.

You're talking out of your ass...

You didn't see the car before, and you didn't know I'm the 3rd owner of the bodykit(that was thrashed). The bodykit itself took 3 days to repair and fit.

Now if you're done here, I'm sure there is another thread you can try and shit on somewhere else...so far that's all I've seen you do with your 24 posts.

By the way, this paint job cost me 50.00(my deductible)...so no, I didn't "get exactly what I paid for".

Don't be a tool, go do something productive.

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #66
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S

Weird about the tails though; definitely can't see it in the pics. I've debated grabbing some of the ebay projectors.. . . but there's a lot of mixed reviews on them haha. I just don't know if i can justify $160 to get a product that works for a month and then goes:
Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #67
NateDogg

We got off on the wrong foot, the main thing i'm trying to point out is that

Side markers
handles
belt mldgs
roof mldgs
headlights/tailights
bumper meets fender
bumper meets quarter
sideskirt meets quarter/fender

All these areas will have a chance they might chip from everyday driving to R&I's. Thats it, thats all.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or your car in any way.
You get exactly what you pay for... it wasn't directly pointed towards you but in general to anyone paying for anything in life.

Quote:
You're talking out of your ass...
I'm only talking from my own experience
If your going to tell me you spent 3 days repairing and fitting your own bodykit in your carport/garage; i believe it, been there done that.
If your saying this bodyshop spent 3 days to repair and fit the kit for you; i say . Your pictures alone provide theres only minor bodywork done to the kit. Even if you cut your front bumper into 4 seperate pieces it might be tricky but would still be back on the car in less than a day. Been there done that too.

A car in the shop for 12days can be normal, but i guarantee your car hasn't more than a days work put into it.

Quote:
By the way, this paint job cost me 50.00(my deductible)...so no, I didn't "get exactly what I paid for".
If you pay your deductible, your insurance should pay for a top of the line paintjob which includes all the R&I's of the list above, and not only would you have a better paint job but the bodyshop would have also gotten more money in their pockets too. win win situtation

So why didn't you get the top notch paintjob?

Because the real worth of your car wasn't enough to cover the cost of a proper paintjob

You have a half millions miles on your car, if your insurance put another dollar down, it would have been written off.

Soo actually i kinda take that previous statement back... in your case,

Quote:
Don't be a tool, go do something productive.
I know i come off as an a-hole, but realisticaly, you could have easily done the R&I's yourself and had less possible headaches in the future.
As for productivity, Out of the 1000+ views this post has gotten maybe the next guy who decides to paint his car wont overlook such simple things.

I'm not hating at all, i think the car looks great
I just cross my fingers nothing goes wrong, or else we're up **** creek without a paddle
Old 02-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #68
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
We got off on the wrong foot, the main thing i'm trying to point out is that

Side markers
handles
belt mldgs
roof mldgs
headlights/tailights
bumper meets fender
bumper meets quarter
sideskirt meets quarter/fender

All these areas will have a chance they might chip from everyday driving to R&I's. Thats it, thats all.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or your car in any way.
You get exactly what you pay for... it wasn't directly pointed towards you but in general to anyone paying for anything in life.

I'm only talking from my own experience
If your going to tell me you spent 3 days repairing and fitting your own bodykit in your carport/garage; i believe it, been there done that.
If your saying this bodyshop spent 3 days to repair and fit the kit for you; i say . Your pictures alone provide theres only minor bodywork done to the kit. Even if you cut your front bumper into 4 seperate pieces it might be tricky but would still be back on the car in less than a day. Been there done that too.

A car in the shop for 12days can be normal, but i guarantee your car hasn't more than a days work put into it.

If you pay your deductible, your insurance should pay for a top of the line paintjob which includes all the R&I's of the list above, and not only would you have a better paint job but the bodyshop would have also gotten more money in their pockets too. win win situtation

So why didn't you get the top notch paintjob?

Because the real worth of your car wasn't enough to cover the cost of a proper paintjob

You have a half millions miles on your car, if your insurance put another dollar down, it would have been written off.

Soo actually i kinda take that previous statement back... in your case,

I know i come off as an a-hole, but realisticaly, you could have easily done the R&I's yourself and had less possible headaches in the future.
As for productivity, Out of the 1000+ views this post has gotten maybe the next guy who decides to paint his car wont overlook such simple things.

I'm not hating at all, i think the car looks great
I just cross my fingers nothing goes wrong, or else we're up **** creek without a paddle
This isn't my first paint job, it isn't my 4th either...I've spent thousands of dollars and dozens of hours on vehicle paint. I know what you're trying to say, but this isn't your thread and your info is nothing new.

If you cannot overcome the need to get your .02 in I suggest you start a thread aimed at helping "the next guy"...All you've managed to do here is derail my thread.

My odometer 03/11