Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #55
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That's flat out dangerous.
Is it dangerous because of: 1. What might happen during the fill up (e.g some people might fill to the point of a spill and might also be doing something dumb and illegal like smoking in that environment or doing something less obvious like getting in and out of the car and building up static electricity)....or 2. Something inherently dangerous about driving with the fuel at that level in any car (however statistically slim the chance might be for a damaging consequence)? I've seen many different signs around pumps in nearly every state and in the foreign countries I've driven in with messages and symbols re what not to do when filling up and a small indication as to why. I've also read articles that touched on fill up safety while addressing other auto issues, but haven't happened to come across any articles dealing with fuel level while you are driving, but would truly (not sarcastically) like to know any issues. I have incorporated every fill up precaution I've ever heard about into my fill up behavior, EXCEPT re fuel level (I'm pretty OCD when it comes to always having the same reference point re each fill up so that I know my MPG figures have a consistent reference point....I know...I'm rationalizing...but I recycle, live in a energy star house of reasonable size that consumed fewer resources to build than a larger house, drive a Yaris, and just generally do things to have the smallest possible 'footprint'). In California topping off is 'tsk-tsk' and beyond, but I've never heard anyone say why. I've always thought it might be that topping off increases the volume of whatever chemicals are escaping that are or might be damaging the air.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote