Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #55
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
the DRL uses the low-beam for us. You can confirm this by turning on/off your headlights at night near a wall where you can see the change is just the brightness when the headlights are turned on.

i should add, this is for my echo, which should not be different from the yaris but it might. The same method to check still applies.
taKuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #56
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Well I would think its a no brainer for it to be a lower voltage off the LOW beam, beacuse although its a lower voltage, the beam PATTERN would be aim'd up if using the HIGH beam portion of the H4?

Violin may be able to shed a little more light here..
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #57
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
I just checked the wire diagram for the Yaris, and it seems that taKuto is correct, the Yaris uses the Low Beam filament as DRL... which creates a bit of a problem. If I'm using the H4 common wire as the trigger for the HID, will this common wire be on when the car is supposed to be running on DRL? I can't seem to understand the diagram from Violin, as in the H4 plug, the H terminal is not linked to anywhere? GuySmily's diagram seems to be much simplier with just one relay?
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #58
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Well then, if you are expecting to keep the DRL box hooked up in your car, and splice off the regular plug to fire your HID's, it wont work. Keeping DRLs and having HID, will "strobe effect" your ballasts, and kill them over time.

Hence the reason for disconnecting the DRL box for anyone installing just a plug-n-play in their Yaris.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #59
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I don't really have a solution to your DRL dilemma. Would it be legal to have a separate pair of lights, perhaps behind the grill, that come on whenever the ignition is switched on? That would be simple.

In my diagram, the car side H4 plug plugs into a female H4 plug that I purchased and integrated into the harness. See my DIY for parts suppliers.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #60
taKuto
rice rocket

You will only need one relay, and diodes for the low beam and high beam triggers which connect to the relay. You cannot use GuySmiley's harness since that's for positive trigger. You will need a negative triggered harness made. Wish I had the time to make you the schematic, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #61
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
dumb question.... but since we have city lights in the LB, could you just use those as you DRL? or can you hook up the high beam bulb on the same circute as the parking lights and use relays in a series to have them shut off when the lowbeam HID's come on..... only down fall to this will be no regular Highbeams at night
I can draw up a scamatic if you do not understand... but it will work, and you can keep your DRL disabled and run HID's :)
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #62
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
You will only need one relay, and diodes for the low beam and high beam triggers which connect to the relay. You cannot use GuySmiley's harness since that's for positive trigger. You will need a negative triggered harness made. Wish I had the time to make you the schematic, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere.
What's the difference between positive and negative trigger? And I thought I only need the low beam wire as trigger, as the high beam wire I will plug directly to the hagelon light.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #63
taKuto
rice rocket

positive trigger = a +12V wire is given power when the switch is on.
negative trigger = the ground wire is active when the switch is on.

toyotas are mostly negative triggered. Makes the harness a little different for constructing.

The high beam will get the common 12V and the high beam ground
The low beam (HID) will use a relay harness which will use the low beam and high beam grounds as a trigger wire.

Black Yaris, what are city lights? Do you mean the parking light? Is it a bulb that turns on when you flip the headlight switch one notch, and stays on during the low-beam switch?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #64
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
positive trigger = a +12V wire is given power when the switch is on.
negative trigger = the ground wire is active when the switch is on.

toyotas are mostly negative triggered. Makes the harness a little different for constructing.

The high beam will get the common 12V and the high beam ground
The low beam (HID) will use a relay harness which will use the low beam and high beam grounds as a trigger wire.

Black Yaris, what are city lights? Do you mean the parking light? Is it a bulb that turns on when you flip the headlight switch one notch, and stays on during the low-beam switch?
what you are calling a positive trigger is a normal neg(-) ground system
what you are calling a negative trigger is called a pos(+) ground

City lights are the these, I had this pic laying around, to explain city lights to someone else
Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #65
Violin

The reason I use three relays is so I can flash the high beams without the HIDs coming on. Worth the effort, I think.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #66
taKuto
rice rocket

When is that city light active? I don't have one for my echo so I wouldn't know anything about it.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #67
Violin

The first position on the light stalk turns it on, the next turns on the headlights. I used it (labled "arking lamp circuit" on my schematic) to trigger the one relay - if I used the low beam, they wouldn't turn off without shutting off the car. If Canadian models lack a city/parking lamp, my harness wouldn't work.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #68
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
The first position on the light stalk turns it on, the next turns on the headlights. I used it (labled "arking lamp circuit" on my schematic) to trigger the one relay - if I used the low beam, they wouldn't turn off without shutting off the car. If Canadian models lack a city/parking lamp, my harness wouldn't work.
We have parking light as well in Canadian models.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #69
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Is it possible to wire the Fog Lights to become DRL? Just a though after talking to my friend. He did a retro fit to his Civic SiR with Audi A6 projector, and he wired his Fog to become DRL with the use of relays... I will ask him for more detail on that.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #70
R0ME0

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS Turbo
GabL I went through a similar dilema with my Celica. i'd just retrofit a custom HID setup for the headlights with some grommets thats what i did and its works like a beauty. Also as someone pointed out that the 3prong is for a leveling switch. Pretty easy to wire up. If you're interested let me know I can teach you how to hook it up. It does wonders in the Celica! I might have to do this for the Yaris now. Do you have a link on where to buy these headlights? Additionally do you have more pics of the headlights? Is there no longer any permenant amber on the headlight just in the bulb? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #71
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
GabL I went through a similar dilema with my Celica. i'd just retrofit a custom HID setup for the headlights with some grommets thats what i did and its works like a beauty. Also as someone pointed out that the 3prong is for a leveling switch. Pretty easy to wire up. If you're interested let me know I can teach you how to hook it up. It does wonders in the Celica! I might have to do this for the Yaris now. Do you have a link on where to buy these headlights? Additionally do you have more pics of the headlights? Is there no longer any permenant amber on the headlight just in the bulb? Please let me know. Thanks!
R0ME0, do you still have the wire diagram of how you wire up your Celica? I do want to make the fog light the DRL and keep everything there.
I'm also interested to know how to wire up that auto leveling switch? Please post some pictures if you can. Thanks!
I got the headlights from Taiwan Yahoo auction as mentioned (tw.bid.yahoo.com). It doesn't have the permenant amber reflector at the side, also the side parking light is not on this headlight also. I will try to post some more pics later!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #72
acdaazn

Drives: Toyota
So whatever happened to this project?