Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #865
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
true that. Once I was sick and my nose was blocked up for a couple days, and then I started smelling again and everything smelt like garbage/crap. I then realized how bad it smells around detroit. nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
It must be a Michigan thing... When I drive in Michigan I do not get as good as gas milage as when I drive in Ohio... must be the air
Other than that I actually attempted to stay below 3k today. It was quite a challenge.
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #866
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X-8 View Post
I always work on the knowledge that an idling engine doesn't develop much oil pressure, so, the cold, thick oil isn't getting to and lubricating the upper moving parts (like the valve train) very well. So, I fire it up and go - not hard - right away, no warm-up.

eflb55, you need to also own a Mazda RX-8 like me. It thrives on high rev's, going to 9k so happily. It also only gets about 18 mpg on the average, so you'll really have something to complain about. Maybe too then, you'll drive your Yaris the way it was intended to be driven, and you'll get your 36 mpg average like me (14,500 mile average mpg, that is...) and maybe you'll be able to enjoy it for a real long Toyota amount of time. and maybe you won't be one to find out why the Yaris got poor ratings lately in crash testing.

can you grow up a bit when writing to others on this board, sorry everyone doesn not own a RX-8 like you, does that make you feel special you have a vehicle that is made by Ford/Visteon/Auto Alliance... I realy hate it when people come in here and think they are better than everyone else because they have something everyone else could easly have.... if you had a Ferarri, HELL yeah throw it in people's faces, you may as will told us you had a real fast Taurus or something like that....... sorry for the vent, it just bothered me a bit

and to keep on topic, I have been gettin 30-32Mph, but I drive her hard on the e-way
Old 12-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #867
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
You sir, are a jerk.

First off, I'm easily old enough to be your daddy, and if I was, I'd slap some sense into you the hard way, if it's at all possible for you to gain any semblence of civility, you seem to be now beyond help.

Secondly, I only mentioned my owning my Hiroshima-developed/hand asembled rotary engine - powered, Hiroshima-built vehicle because, (a) as you already know, rotary engines redline at 9000rpm, actually rev to 9500 easily, and eflb55 likes to rev high, and, (b) if he thinks something under 25mpg is bad, he would really have something to complain about with the 18mpg that he would only get. Hmmm, if I was "throwing it in people's faces", why would I so blaringly be exposing one of the oh-so-few downsides of owning one?

Thirdly, it seems that you have a problem with people who are happy with what they have been thus-far able to acquire. If I were to have mentioned my Ferarri or my real fast Taurus or something like that....... would you have behaved any more civil? Just because I have experience in matters pertaining to another one of my several cars, doesn't mean I'm bragging about owning it, and even if I was, you would STILL have no right to reply in the way you did... My guess - you were banned from the RX-8 forum for posting in a like manner, where they rightfully so have little tolerance for your type.

Fourthly, doesn't this site have admins? I made the complaint last night, but I guess they don't care. That's just plain sorry. Need I refer to the Forum Rules? http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910 And not only do you post extremely foul language, which I am completely offended by, due to my religous beliefs, you have extremely foul language in your sig! This forum is full of kids. There is absolutely NO place for your kind here.

Fifthly, oh, I was going to comment on your, oh, nevermind...
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 AM   #868
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
WELL we all hear what you are saying racer, but, since you sound like a man who pursues wisdom reflect on yourself at the same time and be open to what you may find there. I am sure you are a decent guy, and i bet you are hard working as you took the time to look up a rule over a grudge you had against a silly rebuke post (id have been too lazy to actually look it up, even had i wanted to reply to him :P) but, consider yourself a bit as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X-8 View Post
I always work on the knowledge that an idling engine...
I fire it up and go - not hard - right away, no warm-up.

eflb55, you need to also own a Mazda RX-8 like me...

you'll get your 36 mpg average like me
If you dont mind look at that above post and consider how there might have been a more effective and polite way to convey your message? Was the focus of your message something that required referring to yourself so often, or was it simply about appreciating what you do have and understanding how things can be much worse off?

(in further reflection, imagine if i had responded thusly:

I always try to speak kindly and to the point. You should try to think about what you said like i always try to do.
Racer X-8 You should have a beautiful japanese girlfriend who's parents always try to analyze and judge you for your worthiness, like i do. Then maybe you would learn that you can't always talk about yourself when you want to make a point.
Then You would have some experiences in being delicate and understanding other people. That way, you can grow into a better person and you can get along better with people; like me.)

The point: look at yourself, you have faults, fix them, persue wisdom--become wise, not angry.

(and if you want to reply please PM me) EDIT: i didnt pm you because i was too lazy :P been planning to post my results here, so what the hell take out two at once. But either way you talked about yourself way too much.

Now that i have had my tirade (notice: i would remove the top portion of this post if i was moderating this site, so feel free guys , as it really contributes nothing to the site)

My mileage during daily living has been 22 mpg. My long trip highway commutes is 34mpg. It makes me very sad, but oh well, guess short trips and moderatly heavy feet and a fat body will do that to you

and no, her name is not Yaris:) and she is beautiful, got her on the rebound while she was studying abroad--easy pickings.

Last edited by BMGYaris; 12-21-2006 at 06:54 PM.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #869
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
BMJYaris, I hope that beautiful Japanese girl of yours isn't called Yaris.

I'm another lead foot driver and it shows by the condition of my tires. At 30,000km, they're already worn out. Anyways, I'm getting better mileage then eflb55. My worst is about 30mpg (US), but my 5spd Yaris gets very few cold starts, so no short trips on a cold engine.

I have to agree with eflb55, it's hard to drive the car conservatively when it's so much fun to drive. Also, I think the electronic acceleration likes to hold on to the speeds, regardless it you're in a fuel conservative mode and want the car to coast while slowing down. So, if the car doesn't want to go slower, hey, who am I to complain?
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #870
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
A person who is trying to speak of lessons learned thru personal experience will usually use the words "I" and "me". Duh? Take it or leave it, I'm totally not surprised by the want of another hotshot to take what I had to say and turn it against me. Anybody else? BMGYaris, why didn't you PM me?!?

Oh, and, um, Pars, uh, {a friend of mine(?)} feels the same way about the Yaris being fun to drive.

Last edited by Racer X-8; 12-21-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:48 PM   #871
Pars

Respects Racer X-8

I usually try to get a sense of a person's driving attitude by the cars they driver. And I doubt a posers would be driving an RX-8. I do know of a Cougar in an automatic RSX. But the RX-8 is the kind of car for enthusiast (similar to the S2000 but for much less).
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #872
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
I finally got tired of waiting to put more miles on the car so i filled up with 3 bars remaining. This is the first full tank of gas and the car has 240 miles on it.
I bought the car with 40 miles on it and did not top the tank off for a few days.

With 99% true short trip city driving I got 25.89 MPG. Once I get back to work I should get a much better idea of what to expect from a mix of city/Hwy MPG.

This is a 5spd Hatch.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #873
superjens

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Doesn't matter what I do, super light, quicker high revs, all city or all highway, so far my first 1500 KMs are just shy of 30 MPG.

superjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #874
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
Wink xb?

Hey why would u go back to the xb seeming that it doesnt get as good. If anything go for the xa since it looks way better and gets better mpg.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #875
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
Call me dumb, but I've always thought gas was gas. We only have 2 readily available gas stations in our small town, a BP and a Shell. Due to my mileage difference on a recent trip I decided to test out mileage differences using each brand. On BP (always 2-3¢ per gallon cheaper) I average 32-34mpg, using Shell this week I got 36.6mpg. Huh?
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #876
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typer73 View Post
Call me dumb, but I've always thought gas was gas. We only have 2 readily available gas stations in our small town, a BP and a Shell. Due to my mileage difference on a recent trip I decided to test out mileage differences using each brand. On BP (always 2-3¢ per gallon cheaper) I average 32-34mpg, using Shell this week I got 36.6mpg. Huh?
Personally, I like using Shell in the winter and Esso in the summer. But, the difference in fuel consumption hasn't been great enough for me to prove or disprove one brand over the other, since there's very little control over my driving style (it changes with my mood and I tend to be moody) and I don't do the same route everyday.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #877
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Personally, I like using Shell in the winter and Esso in the summer. But, the difference in fuel consumption hasn't been great enough for me to prove or disprove one brand over the other, since there's very little control over my driving style (it changes with my mood and I tend to be moody) and I don't do the same route everyday.
Shell is definately the best. With the new Tier 1 gas I notice better gas milage.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #878
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typer73 View Post
Many cat manifactures tell you NOT to use BP fluel due to all the extra additive that can actually harm your vehicle over time
Old 12-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #879
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Many cat manifactures tell you NOT to use BP fluel due to all the extra additive that can actually harm your vehicle over time
Well, 40 miles for 30¢ more per tank ... hmm, I'm not that dumb! Shell it is!
Happy Holidays!
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #880
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Here is the result of my latest tank with fuel from Petro Canada. Canadian currency used:

Fuel Cost
$36.01

Distance travelled
535.5 km
332.76 miles

Fuel Amount
34.83 litres
9.2 US gallons
7.66 Imperial gallons
Cost of Fuel
$1.03 per litre
$3.91 per US gallon
$4.7 per Imperial gallon

Fuel Economy (30/70 city/highway)
litres per 100 km
miles per US gallon
miles per Imperial gallon

Mileage Costs
¢ents per km
¢ents per mile

The result appears to be good, considering that it is winter. Possible reasons being that the guy who assisted me in the full serve only gas station might not have filled up close enough to the top (that could affect the calculations in that the distance would appear to have been covered with less fuel) and that the last week or so was quite warm.
BTW, I have refilled with Shell Bronze to see if a better result could be achieved.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #881
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i drive past a fuel depot where the trucks refuel to refill the gas stations, and strangely, i've seen trucks from just about every station refilling from the same tanks.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #882
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
So... question:

What do you consider accelerating gently or non-gently (ie. wasting fuel by accelerating TOO FAST/HARD from stop signs or lights!)???

When I accelerate, tend to keep it between 2,500 and 3,000 RMP before shifting into 2nd... 3,000 being the ABSOLUTE highest... im usually at 2,500 or in the middle.

Is that wasting unnecessary gas in yall's opinions?

Lets get some thoughts here, because I'm wondering. Am I starting harder than most ppl and maybe thats why I'm only seeing 28-30 MPG US per tank???

Jems