Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #73
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
Looks like slimmer from ghost busters just hit your fog lights. xD

But yeah.. I do agree the fog lights from garm has a huge freaken gap. Enough so that water when its raining or snowing will get in. I just wrapped the fogs electrical wire in electrical tape up to the plugs. If it gets bad... I'll try to close the gaps with silicone.

kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #74
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Today I went out and tried to start one of my Yarises. It had been 6 to 7 days since I last started each Yaris. The first Yaris I tried would not turn over. The second Yaris was completely dead. So I had to call AAA for a jump. While I have zero proof that the fog lamp kits caused the problem, for safety sake, I unplugged different parts of the fog lamps.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #75
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
Today I went out and tried to start one of my Yarises. It had been 6 to 7 days since I last started each Yaris. The first Yaris I tried would not turn over. The second Yaris was completely dead. So I had to call AAA for a jump. While I have zero proof that the fog lamp kits caused the problem, for safety sake, I unplugged different parts of the fog lamps.
Interesting. If your switches are the same as the one that came with mine, the lights are incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. If you have them wired where the light on the switch is always lit, it will draw more current than an LED, but still not a significant enough amount to kill the battery in a day or two (I measured the current draw of the switch bulbs to be about 50 mA).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #76
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I had the glove box light in my truck kill the battery in less than 3 days when I parked it with the box open one time. I'm pretty sure the that battery has significant more capacity than a Yaris battery. Lights are evil.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #77
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

There are other things that draw power from the battery all the time. A clock being the first thing that comes to mind. Plus a vehicle electrical system wastes some power even with every thing turned off. Electricity is always trying to find a way to complete a circuit. Some electrons will flow even when every switch is turned off. Plus with modern relays checking for things like door locked or door unlocked or built in timer expired to turn off over head light, modern vehicles consume more battery power than older vehicles all the time.

What gets me is that one of the switches to the fog lamps was unplug. Still the battery was dead in 7 days. I wonder if I should go out and start both of those Yarises every few days, and let the Yarises run for 1/2 hour, to make sure the batteries are charged.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #78
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I wonder if I should go out and start both of those Yarises every few days, and let the Yarises run for 1/2 hour, to make sure the batteries are charged.
I would do that with any car (but only for a few minutes), just for the car's general health and well-being. You can also get a cheap voltage tester so you can check the voltage any time you want to; I wish these cars came with more gauges.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #79
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
If you don't drive the cars regularly you could always just get a trickle charger. A 1/2 hour at idle isn't going to do much for you.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #80
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The battery shouldn't run down in 7 days. If it is, either the battery has an issue (in your case x2) or something is drawing a significant amount of current when the car is off.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #81
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
that is just plain weird...u sure you reconnected the batteries im serious here not trying to be funny or anything. did you check the main fuse on the battery terminal connector?
I have not checked the main fuse on the battery terminal connector. In the modular home park where I live, each lot has just one parking space per home. My Mom uses the parking space besides our modular home. Her Subrau has the same problem. The alarm system kills my Mom's battery in less than a week.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 09-22-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #82
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
If you don't drive the cars regularly you could always just get a trickle charger. A 1/2 hour at idle isn't going to do much for you.
I park in a over flow parking lot. I do not have access to a place to plug a trickle charger. According to my research 25 minutes at idle will charge a dead battery.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #83
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The battery shouldn't run down in 7 days. If it is, either the battery has an issue (in your case x2) or something is drawing a significant amount of current when the car is off.
I had both batteries replaced last week.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #84
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
There is another option than a trickle charger. The same thing the tow truck driver used to start my Yaris. A portable rechargeable battery powered jump starter. I bought a Duralast HEAVY DUTY 450 PEAK AMP jump starter. 5 LED lights that are labeled to tell the status of the sealed lead/acid battery. Comes with a plug in the wall charger. Cheaply made in China. Comes with warning not to over charge it or it might over heat and explode. The instructions do not agree with the LED lights. The instructions say to recharge it every time it is used. It does not look large enough to do the job. But it works.

I have already used the jump starter once.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 09-26-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #85
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have something like that for car shows. Someone always runs their battery down bumping tunes, it's nice to be the guy with the jump start box.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #86
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
The other solution is deep cycle marine-type batteries, they'll take licking and keep ticking. Those batteries aren't just meant for the heavy duty stereo guys.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #87
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

I not much for throwing away a new battery. What the Yaris really needs is a larger alternator. The owners manual says that the Yaris alternator is too small to generate enough power to heat the rear window defroster. So the rear window defroster draws additional power from the battery. The owner manual warns owners not run the rear window defroster more than 20 minutes. So the Yaris does not recharge the battery very fast. So a number of short trips could leave the battery without enough power to start the Yaris.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #88
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
I not much for throwing away a new battery. What the Yaris really needs is a larger alternator. The owners manual says that the Yaris alternator is too small to generate enough power to heat the rear window defroster. So the rear window defroster draws additional power from the battery. The owner manual warns owners not run the rear window defroster more than 20 minutes. So the Yaris does not recharge the battery very fast. So a number of short trips could leave the battery without enough power to start the Yaris.

I have been running a sub and an amp since the first day I had my car, and my car has never failed to start in 3 years and 74,000 miles. Original starter, alternator, and battery.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #89
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #90
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

I have been running a sub and an amp since the first day I had my car, and my car has never failed to start in 3 years and 74,000 miles. Original starter, alternator, and battery.

74,000 total miles divided by 3 yeaers = 24,666.66 miles per year. 24,666.66 miles divided by 365 days per year = 67.5 miles per day. 67.5 divided by 2 trips per day = 33.75 miles per trip every day. Your equation may very.

My Yarises are 1.6 years old. The Yaris I bought used has 14,000 miles. The Yaris I bought new has 12,000 miles. 12,000 divided by 1.6 years = 7500 miles per year. 365 days per year divided by 2 (Yaris driven every other day) = 182.5 days per year each Yaris is driven. 7500 miles divided by 182.5 = 41 mile driven every other day. 41 miles divided by 2 trips a day = 20.5 miles per trip every other day.

While I know that this is a crude way to figure out average miles per trip, it is the best equation I could come up with. Driving 20.5 miles per trip in my Yaris is questionable for recharging the battery back to 100% of capability.

Of course there may be a problem with the instructions on how to install the after market fog lap kit I bought from Micro Image that I am not aware of that is killing the battery.

I have too much on my credit card to be able to afford to put the Yaris in the shop for a complete electrical system check. Both Yarises passed the standard electrical check when the batteries were replaced. Next year I hope to be able to afford to put one of the Yarises in the shop to have someone experenced in installing after market fog lamps to check the work I did to see if I made a mistake installing the fog lamps and/or to see if there is a error in the install instructions.