Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #73
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
No way I can afford an unlocked phone *sadbanana*
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #74
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Yes, you can. If you think about it, getting a phone with AT&T AND paying for the data plan = getting an unlocked phone and paying minimal for data.

If you get a "smartphone" from AT&T, the minimum data plan is $15 for 200mb.
If you get a non-AT&T smartphone, AT&T does not force you to get the data plan and even if you do, you can use the "unlimited data for non-smartphones" as long as you do it over the phone/online, their current billing system has no way of knowing that you're using a smartphone if you don't purchase it from them (* unless you bought one that's on their list, for example: iPhone)

Or at least that's how I always try to rationalize it. I should be on a phone forum. LOL while you guys spend on your cars, I spend my $$ on new phones
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #75
Kaotic Lazagna

My bro can get us unlimited (I need to verify this) data and text for the same price we're paying now (only I have unlimited text).
Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #76
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Sorry I didn't make it. My sister's bday got moved from sat to sun. Next time though.

Laz, check out the variants of the htc evo. I think the base one is called the thunderbolt.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #77
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Sorry to butt in. The Evo and Thunderbolt are only similar in size/shape. They are very different internals. I had a Thunderbolt. Its nice hardware but if you are in a low coverage area for LTE you will get a max of about 6 hours of light use/standby. I also got sick and tired of Sense. It tends to BOOOOOOG DOOOOOOWN... This is especially annoying when you are trying to type out a message and the phone can't keep up. Eventually I got the extended battery and it lasts the whole day, barely. It is also a PHAT BRICK with the extended battery. I eventually got sick of it and sold it. Waiting for the Droid 3, even if it's not a 4G phone. Seems like the Droid Charge on Verizon is the best 4G phone out there right now. I am not a huge fan of Samsung in general, but the phone is getting very good reviews. Anyway just my opinion of course, hope it helps.

Car, Mobile Device, and Professional Computer Nerd...

- Jason

Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #78
Kaotic Lazagna

I don't want a slow phone. My Samsung Eternity already takes already and its touchscreen sucks arse.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #79
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I have to interrupt on this one Kiteless, sorry haha.

Laz, if a phone's UI bogs down, just root it and flash a different UI rom.

HTC Sense does suck, but the new upcoming 3.0 Sense is smooth as hell.

I would stick with a 3G just because 4G is still new and they still need to get up a lot of towers and improve phones battery life using that.

And Rain DOES make a damn well point.
I would love to get the Panasonic or Sharp phone from Japan, but the unlocked phones are $699 and up
And the fact that Verizon does not use SIM cards except on Blackberrys a few Droid world phones....

HTC Evo 4g wasn't built with quality...had a few of my friends with one have several problems. Touch screen stopped working, the speaker went bad on one, phone's bottom light up touch buttons stopped working when wifi was on..
Somehow the HTC Incredible (same as Evo but smaller and no 4G) was built good (go figure, damn Chinese inconsistency). Sean and I have been rocking this since last year (AMOLED version), and man does it live up to its name.

Select a a couple phones from carrier, then go crazy on reviews about them. I spent about a month before i got the phone..although Sean might think i copied him
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #80
Kaotic Lazagna

I see only two from AT&T that's not too expensive. lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #81
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
But but but .....

Seriously though I am sick of Sense. As much as I wanted a "Super Phone" with a big screen, the T-Bolt was not too bad size wise and I was able to tolerate the slowness of Sense. I was holding out for Cyanogen MOD but because it was an LTE phone the roms that had some out don't have the right software for LTE to work, so it was kind of a hack and I didn't want to loose LTE. After I added the extended battery the bulkiness of the phone combined with all its other shortcoming really ate away at me. After a while it was like nails on a chalkboard, sloooooly moving doen the board, Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek every time I used it.

I had a Droid Pro at work laying around. It technically belongs to work, so I am just borrowing it. What ever I manage the phones here, among other things. So I moved it on my personal Verizon account and even though it has a small screen that is only 480x320 (original iPhone Res) 3.1" screen. Even my original Droid was 845x480. But even then, the physical keyboard is great, its running Gingerbread from Motorola, and its really fast. Really only major complaint I have about it is that it is a little unstable and reboots on me at least every other day for no apparent reason.

I don't think the Droid Charge is gonna be a slow phone. But I can understand if you don't like Samsung because your previous phone was one, and is super slow. I have my own reasons for disliking Samsung that has nothing to do with phones.

Aaaanyway geeking out on phones here...

- Jason
"Proud to be a nerd."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
I have to interrupt on this one Kiteless, sorry haha.

Laz, if a phone's UI bogs down, just root it and flash a different UI rom.

HTC Sense does suck, but the new upcoming 3.0 Sense is smooth as hell.

I would stick with a 3G just because 4G is still new and they still need to get up a lot of towers and improve phones battery life using that.

And Rain DOES make a damn well point.
I would love to get the Panasonic or Sharp phone from Japan, but the unlocked phones are $699 and up
And the fact that Verizon does not use SIM cards except on Blackberrys a few Droid world phones....

HTC Evo 4g wasn't built with quality...had a few of my friends with one have several problems. Touch screen stopped working, the speaker went bad on one, phone's bottom light up touch buttons stopped working when wifi was on..
Somehow the HTC Incredible (same as Evo but smaller and no 4G) was built good (go figure, damn Chinese inconsistency). Sean and I have been rocking this since last year (AMOLED version), and man does it live up to its name.

Select a a couple phones from carrier, then go crazy on reviews about them. I spent about a month before i got the phone..although Sean might think i copied him

Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #82
Kaotic Lazagna

It sucks because the only two that I can get for AT&T are the HTC Inpsire 4G and the Samsung Captivate. I guess there's some Motorola's, but I heard they're harder to hack/root (what ever it's called )
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #83
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
@ kiteless - I did not know that Cyanogen roms weren't capable of 4G connections yet.
Another reason why i say stick with 3g for the time being.
My coworkers thunderbolt weather app started freezing....i just laughed at him and left.
Droid Pro or anything with a smaller screen I would love.

@ Kaotic - I would personally see how both the phones you told me feel in the palm of your hands.
In my opinion, cant go wrong with either or. Both have a good amount of developers making new roms for it.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #84
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
@ kiteless - I did not know that Cyanogen roms weren't capable of 4G connections yet.
Another reason why i say stick with 3g for the time being.
My coworkers thunderbolt weather app started freezing....i just laughed at him and left.
Droid Pro or anything with a smaller screen I would love.

@ Kaotic - I would personally see how both the phones you told me feel in the palm of your hands.
In my opinion, cant go wrong with either or. Both have a good amount of developers making new roms for it.
Cool, I will check it out when I'm in Union City. Freakin ghetto people of Vallejo activating the passcodes on the phones at AT&T. hahahaha
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #85
Pur_Blu

Drives: NCVC craziest
Send a message via AIM to Pur_Blu Send a message via Yahoo to Pur_Blu
your mom has a smart phone!! lol

anyways i had a great time i would like to see more new faces which is why i plan so far out birthdays and other conflicts i understand. i intercepted a text from Assad and thanks.

PM or text me on the mini meet details... im in!!
PM or text shifter kart plans
PM or text plans on the next meet... im in!! Sac cruz

Vegas 2012 IM SO IN
Pur_Blu is offline   Reply With Quote