Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #973
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Yes. The number is clearly printed on the chip. The throttle body itself is in excellent condition, and nothing on it had been buggered around with. I'm going to cycle it some more before I swap the chip, just to see if things get any better and I'm definitely going to turn the idle down!
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #974
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Tooter, interesting projst.. thanks for the update

Quesition: you were able to re-use the pins that came with the original TB in your adaptor/new TB setup?

Thanks
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #975
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
No one listens to me. I sold at least five pre-swapped TB's and none of my customers had issues. Swap the chip.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #976
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Tooter, interesting projst.. thanks for the update

Quesition: you were able to re-use the pins that came with the original TB in your adaptor/new TB setup?

Thanks
Yes.
The holes are threaded to accept the stock studs.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #977
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
No one listens to me. I sold at least five pre-swapped TB's and none of my customers had issues. Swap the chip.
Got it, Garm.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #978
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
I swapped the chip on the tb I had and still had issues. The high idle finally came down a bit but when you let off the pedal to decel the car got kind of herky-jerky(bucked) I finally took it off because of that. You could feel that the acceleration was better though....
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #979
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
I swapped the chip on the tb I had and still had issues. The high idle finally came down a bit but when you let off the pedal to decel the car got kind of herky-jerky(bucked) I finally took it off because of that. You could feel that the acceleration was better though....
I hear ya on the bucking... it's flat out undriveable.

I'm swapping out the chip right now and am going to also turn down the idle, and will see what happens.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #980
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Yes.
The holes are threaded to accept the stock studs.
Thanks

Have not yet received my adaptor.. but I am sure it is totally awesome ))
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #981
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Hey Garm,

Swapped out the chips and the throttle body does work a little bit better. It only goes to 2,000 now while suddenly deciding to hunt around for an idle speed. And it still has that 2 second delayed jerky drop on decel that makes the drivetrain shudder. I did turn the idle down 1/4 turn. It needs more, but at least I can do something about that issue.

Driving at speed is strange, you just rest your big toe on the accelerator and it holds 40 mph Even partial throttle and the engine is eagerly accelerating. Clearly this thing is capable of feeding lots of air into the engine without hardly any angle on the butterfly. This makes the throttle extremely sensitive. Now that's not a complaint as it's not so much so as to be unsafe. It will just take some driving to get used to it.

All in all, at least some improvement. Do you have any other ideas? Particularly about the two second delay of the jerk on decel. If I just barely have the throttle pressed, the jerking cycles back and forth constantly. It feels like it has lost the ability to smoothly transition from throttle to decel, and the delay tells me that it is computer related because it is so perfectly evenly timed.

Even running both chips the throttle body has never thrown a CEL light... so at least that's good.

Greg
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #982
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If you remember the old fashioned fueling devices called a carburetor, they had a device called a dashpot that holds the throttle partially open while you release the pedal and acts as an emission control device. The computer treats the electronic throttle the same way. But because the throttle is larger the effect is greater.

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #983
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Thanks

Have not yet received my adaptor.. but I am sure it is totally awesome ))
Wow... it's been 7 days since it was mailed. How long does it take stuff to go through customs? The Customs Declaration number is:

LC892190662US

It's a Small Flat Rate Priority Mail Box. See if they can locate it.

Greg
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #984
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
If you remember the old fashioned fueling devices called a carburetor, they had a device called a dashpot that holds the throttle partially open while you release the pedal and acts as an emission control device. The computer treats the electronic throttle the same way. But because the throttle is larger the effect is greater.

Yeah, I'm familiar with those, because I'm from that era.
...but they let the throttle down slowly and smoothly. This waits 2 seconds and then suddenly drops it shut. This is a precise computer timed event as it does it exactly the same each time.

So this brings me back around to the same question:

Has anyone here ever successfully run a Corolla throttle body with none of the issues I'm experiencing?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #985
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
You know i was thinking about this , this might be the case where one of those aftermarket throttle controllers is just the thing. You have to calibrate them when you plug it in between the accel pedal and the obd II port anyway, it might correct the bucking issue...
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #986
tooter
play every day

Now that's an intriguing idea.

Does anyone here run a throttle controller that they can program for instant deceleration?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #987
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
From what I remember reading in other TB swap threads, you need to let the ECU completely reset between idle screw adjustments--i.e. unplug the battery for at least a few minutes. In theory, that will help with the idle RPM hunting.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #988
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Has anyone here ever successfully run a Corolla throttle body with none of the issues I'm experiencing?
As mentioned, aside from the fluctuating idle at cold start (which only lasted 1-2 minutes) I had ZERO problems with mine. Also had an SRI on it. Same part number as yours, just cleaned it up and slapped it on. No chip swap. Didn't even clean the epoxy off the idle screw.

I'll do some digging to see if I ever did a video of it.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #989
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Tooter has a 2012, which has an entirely new ECM, so there may be some differences in how the ECM reacts to changing the throttle controller.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #990
tooter
play every day

I'll still try Cranky's advice (Thanks! ) of resetting between each idle change. I'm really going to crank it down today, because regardless of any of the other issues, it idles too fast. I was thinking that maybe the ECU keeps fishing around for the right idle speed, because the butterfly is prevented from closing enough to acheive it.