Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #91
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I have 2.25" exhaust, not 2.5".
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #92
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
I agree that a smaller pipe diameter may help, like 2 inches, but your terminology is wrong. Backpressure is never a good thing, you do not want back pressure for ultimate horspower. What you want is no back pressure but fast exhaust gas velocity, if you go too big on the pipe diameter you loose the exhast gas velocity and the coresponding hp and torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
I think you peeps are looking in the wrong place . I bet if you put your stock exhaust back on you will find your HP and torque . Remember that thing called "back pressure" . You peeps have opened your exhaust too much , IMO .
Opening an exhaust too much will result in a loss of HP and torque . Either you need more airflow to fit your exhaust or you need to downsize your exhaust to create the proper back pressure .

Want proof ? Just check out Noogie vs Poop setup . Poop has the larger exhaust and lower numbers .......
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #93
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Back pressure is a good thing . Some not alot . Without Backpressure(BP) there isn't any exhaust gas velocity . If no BP was a good thing all the real race cars would have exhaust gas being released straight from the exhaust port . ( Yes I realize that exhaust pipes also evacuate heat )

Try this , go turn on your garden hose . See how it flows ? To increase the velocity of the flow you can do 2 things 1. increase the volume of water or 2. partially cover the end of the hose with your thumb (creating BP) .
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #94
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
I didnt read the entire thread but think I have a decent idea of what is going on.

Here is the first thing I will say here:

Comparing results from DIFFERENT DYNOS is not accurate and a waste of time.

Different dyno manufacturers read differently, and ambient conditions change from day to day. If you have dyno results before and after a mod on the SAME dyno, generally the gain (or loss) you see is close to accurate.

At this point, it looks like that if you want to fully realize the gains from a blitz SC, you will need addtional tuning.

A fuel controller may work, but if timing is still retarded, you are only going to LOSE more power. We need to find out what that box does. Lets say all it does is retard ignition timing. Then I would say remove the bot, get a fuel controller and adjust the fueling curve, run cooler spark plugs and always run premium fuel.

Adding a rising rate FP regulator is NOT a solution for a returnless car. There is really no mechanical fix to solve this particular problem. You are going to want a piggyback ECU or a reflash.

You guys are not going to fix this with fuel system mods. I assure you, you are not running out of fuel with a ~30 HP gain.

Peterpoop,

Your exhaust is fine, I would not worry about it. If you can get something to view your ignition advance in the meantime, do so.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #95
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
This is what Camelll posted as to what the fuel controller hooks into.

Blitz uses: RPM, power (ig/on), 4 injectors, air flow, 2 grounds, accelerator position sensor. etimago could you post a pinout of the ecu locations?

ECU Description/ Wiring Description/ ECU Loc/ ECU color
IFG1/ RPM/ C20-81/ Yellow
IGSW/ Power (ig/on)/ A21-28/ Red
L2/ Injector/ C20-107/ Gray
L1/ Injector/ C20-108/ Lt. Blue
VG/ Air Flow/ C20-118/ Gray
E01/ Ground/ C20-45/ Brown
L3/ Injector/ C20-106/ Pink
L4/ Injector/ C20-105/ Blue
VPA/ Accel Pos Sensor/ A21-55/ Red
E01/ Ground/ C20-45/ Brown
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #96
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Cali yaris got in contact with blitz and blitz said the fuel controller is just that and does not do anything to timing. Noogie thinks the timing is being retarding because the knock sensor is picking up pre ignition.
Is the black box wired to the boost control knob? If so then the boost selection could retart the timing.

If not, then he could be right. I have a knockbox that we could listen to the engine with and see if it is indeed knocking.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #97
LtNoogie

Oops, sorry Mike. I did not realize you responded!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #98
LtNoogie

The boost control knob determines when the blower kicks in...25% throttle position, 50% throttle position, or 75% throttle position.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #99
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Is the black box wired to the boost control knob? If so then the boost selection could retart the timing.

If not, then he could be right. I have a knockbox that we could listen to the engine with and see if it is indeed knocking.
Where in the OC are you? If I don't chicken out due to this AFR, I might just run into you at Willow Springs on April 10. You can see what the car is doing on and off boost.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #100
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Well I need to look for some 1zz fuel injectors now. I'll try those on, get some numbers, and then later, put the 1zz tb on that I have. Maybe they will equal eachother out?
Nope. I assure you that your HP will be lower with larger injectors, and the car will run bad off boost and when cold.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #101
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Where in the OC are you? If I don't chicken out due to this AFR, I might just run into you at Willow Springs on April 10. You can see what the car is doing on and off boost.
Irvine area.

I still need to confirm I can go and get signed up for the 10th.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #102
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

What are the pinouts for the black box and does it connect to the boost switch? my guess is yes.

The next step is who is brave enough to disconnect a couple wires and find out exactly what the black box does :)
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #103
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

OK I found the pinouts for the black box. It just connect to fuel related components. We will have to do some data logging to see why the car is pulling timing under boost.

Long,

If you can, warm up your car and do a couple pulls in 2nd or 3rd.

Then pull the negative battery connector, or pull the fuse to the ECU. Pump the brakes a few times and reconnect the fuse or battery.

Go out and do another couple pulls and see if the timing you see increases, or increases and then decreases. Let us know the differences.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #104
LtNoogie

Ok, it will have to be Friday evening. Did you see in an earlier post that with the S/C switch set to OFF, I see timing in the low to mid 20s? This is even uder heavy load.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #105
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Ok, it will have to be Friday evening. Did you see in an earlier post that with the S/C switch set to OFF, I see timing in the low to mid 20s? This is even uder heavy load.
Yea I saw that. Off is no boost at all right? What AFR do you see when it is off?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #106
LtNoogie

14.7 - 14.9 but I'll do some runs tonight when I have to climb several hills.

no boost pressure
Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #107
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
thats what you are suppose to see when it is off. I usually get 14.5-14.7 when cruising in the truck. WOT goes to like 12.7 - 13.2. Factory did a decent job tuning fuel already
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #108
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Ok. So I won't be doing the larger injectors and 1zz throttle body. I'll be waiting for long to get the numbers on friday afternoon and see what largeorange has to say then.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote