Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #109
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
For the record. I don't have any problems with pre-ignition right now. I use Shell V-Power every fillup.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #110
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
You are just running lean right now, correct? Tc injectors will fix this? Did you change your sparkplugs?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #111
LtNoogie

I changed to the same spark plugs camelll is using. Maybe I'm just lucky. When the weather heats up and if the engine runs hotter, I'll know if I have a problem then.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #112
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
.... I was also told they tuned the jdm version of the kit for 100 octane. ...
I'm pretty sure that the Japanese (and Europeans) have a different octane rating system... I think it tends to be about 5 points higher for the same quality gas. So maybe closer to 95 North American octane might be more appropriate.

I try to always fill up at one of the few local Sunocos... 94 octane!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #113
LtNoogie

Wow, we've really threadjacked Whooppee's thread but this should be good info for him to think about.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #114
ae92trueno7

Drives: 2007 Yaris Supercharged
i'm just using the stock spark plugs... i dont think i will be able to start my car with those plugs.... its like -30 in canada.... haha
ae92trueno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #115
LtNoogie

Wow, just a few more people from Whooppee's list and we will have a quorum of the YW Boosted Jedi.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #116
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Japanese (and Europeans) have a different octane rating system... I think it tends to be about 5 points higher for the same quality gas. So maybe closer to 95 North American octane might be more appropriate.

I try to always fill up at one of the few local Sunocos... 94 octane!
yeah there's Octane Number and Research Octane Number, which means some differences... For example our 91 octane here is equivalent to 87 octane in the US, our 95 is your 91, etc...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #117
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
i havent heard any weird noises. but there is the odd random lean condition which happens cruising on highways. seems like preignition to me. im hoping sparkplugs will fix that. theyre going on tomorrow morning

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #118
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Hmmm... I see my user name has been repeated three times... this has invoked my spirit, so here I am back from The Beyond...

Congrats on your fast install Whooppee! I was about to be jealous of your success but then your idler pulley fell off! I think I still win the award for loosest nuts... loooooong story

I'm also glad--well, not glad--gratified maybe--to learn that the rest of you are experiencing similar tuning issues. I've had a few baffling problems (idle control and voltage fluctuation problems) but in the end these were easily fixed, and unrelated to the pre-ignition. As Long stated, I was getting that distinctive "crackling" sound (sorta like furiously sizzling bacon) the first time hammering the throttle under load in any driving session (very much like what Camelll describes). I drive with it on Low most of the time--no other acceleration issues, just smooth power delivery in every gear. I installed NGK iridium 7 spark plugs before the compressor, and only used 93 octane fuel, so gas treatment was about the only adjustment I could make. Much better, though not gone altogether.

BUT I got the cheapee STP stuff--the Lucas or NOS products are better? Where did you buy?
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #119
whooppee777

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Congrats on your fast install Whooppee! I was about to be jealous of your success but then your idler pulley fell off!
hey it ran with no problem for about 4 hours. if i wasnt so damn tired and excited to just drive the car, i probably would not have tightened the pulley enough.

Quote:
I think I still win the award for loosest nuts... loooooong story
this could probably be taken the wrong way for a random user skimming through the thread. care to elaborate?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #120
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
hey it ran with no problem for about 4 hours. if i wasnt so damn tired and excited to just drive the car, i probably would not have tightened the pulley enough.
I was just kidding Whoppee, I was very impressed by the speed and success of your install... my own car was out of commission for more than three weeks making mine the slowest install of all so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
this could probably be taken the wrong way for a random user skimming through the thread. care to elaborate?
Haha sure! Sorry, I forgot that not everyone remembers I'm female, so I could only be referring to the engine's nuts

During my install the new manifold did not seat properly on the cylinder head, which is why though the nuts felt tight, I had a leak that caused all sorts of problems. In going over every connection for the bajillionth time I pressed down hard on the manifold... it slid those last few millimeters down over the studs at last! and my "tight" nuts were suddenly loose. Torqued them down and problem solved

Later I was having intermittent voltage fluctuation and finally discovered my connection on the alternator was bad. All the vibration basically "walked" the nut right off the terminal post... new nut and lock washer, problem solved again.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #121
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
I was just kidding Whoppee, I was very impressed by the speed and success of your install... my own car was out of commission for more than three weeks making mine the slowest install of all so far
Oh... I think we're about tied for slowest, KK!! Glad to see you back!

Sizzling bacon, huh? Wow... I've never had any of the issues you guys are all talking about. I got my own weird set of issues... I'm pretty sure they're fuel related. Or a bad crimp somewhere. Worst thing is that it's totally intermittent!

Anyhow... Blitz on!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #122
whooppee777

i must be deaf cuz i dont hear this sizzling bacon noise when i'm boosting. but i had been filling up with premium probably 3 weeks before i installed.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #123
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
it sounded like a million screaming babies when he was pulling outta my driveway hahaahha
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #124
LtNoogie

Today was hot and I ran the air conditioner today. S/C was set to OFF. That growling rattling noise was back. One of us needs to figure out what is causing that.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #125
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
You guys are scaring me.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #126
LtNoogie

Turbo kits scare me. They all seem custom. You're kinda on your own.

We Blitz owners all share identical setups and can help each other out.