Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #109
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
well this thread is already way off topic, so...

I only recently discovered the Princess Bride... I very often saw the quote "Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya..." but had no idea where it was from excellent movie, its cult status is certainly not inconceivable!

BTW thinkgeek.com now has a Dread Pirate Roberts articulated action figure

Now, back to your regular supercharger programming!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #110
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Yeah..we did get a bit off-topic, huh?

LT, will you be working on the SC again today? We're all waiting!

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #111
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
well this thread is already way off topic, so...

I only recently discovered the Princess Bride... I very often saw the quote "Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya..." but had no idea where it was from excellent movie, its cult status is certainly not inconceivable!

BTW thinkgeek.com now has a Dread Pirate Roberts articulated action figure

Now, back to your regular supercharger programming!
OMG!! Thomas!! I *love* that website!! Did you see the Office Space Kit?? Wow, I know what everyone in my Cubeville is getting from me for Christmas. FABULOUS!!

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
Old 11-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #112
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Good luck today!

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #113
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I might drop by, I promise not to wrestle with your car again... maybe the dog though...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #114
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
As soon as I saw the CAI I also questoned it. I will also try to get an answer about that for you today.
Hey Garm, did you ever get in contact with Blitz to see if the compressor was compatible with the 2 pc CAI's?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #115
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I might drop by, I promise not to wrestle with your car again... maybe the dog though...
Garm, we are leaving the shop (1:10). There are only two wires left to do and there's a conflict with the instructions that I have to ask the guys about that have done the install.

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-23-2008 at 06:23 PM.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #116
LtNoogie

The S/C Activation Box stays inside the car so I run the loose wires through the wire loom.

Up on the firewall above and to the left of the ECU was a rubber plug that plugged a hole leading to the interior of the car. I pulled the plug out and from the inside slit a vertical and horizontal opening in the carpet that covers the hole.

I found the perfect gromment at Pep Boys that had a tapered side that pushed easily into the hole. I push the wire loom through that gromment and into the engine compartment.

There are four wires in the bundle that come from the S/C Activation Box. The instructions say:

"8. Run all the wires, except the red wire from the activation box, to the passenger side glove box area. (Leave the red wire on the driver’s side for now.)"

So we leave the red wire inside the car for now.

The blue wire that comes from the S/C Activation Box has a barrel crimp connector at the end of it, so I thought. There is another identical blue wire that comes off of the relay assembly that feeds through the grommet to go inside the car. The relay assembly stays in the engine compartment.

When I tried to crimp the blue wire from the engine compartment to the barrel crimp connector from the S/C Activation Box, the wire keeps falling out of the crimp. So, we cut off the crimp connector and solder the two ends of the blue wires together and shrink wrap the new connection.

Inside the engine compartment we slowly start snipping wires in the ECU harness, each of us double-checking the other to make sure we are snipping the correct wire. The new wires from the Fuel Control Unit connector harness are soldered one one by one onto the snipped ECU wires and the bundle shrink wrapped.

One wire from the Fuel Control Unit connector harness has to be spliced into the blue wire that went from the relay assembly to the interior of the car. We had to cut the blue wire and make a three-way blue wire connection. The third leg goes to the green wire from the Fuel Control Unit connector harness.

This completes all the wires that goe into the large ECU harness connector. Next, we remove the shroud from the small ECU harness connector by releasing two tabs and cutting the tie strap that ties the back of it to the harness.

So there's only one yellow wire from the interior S/C Activation Box to connect to the small ECU connector and one red wire from the Fuel Control Unit connector harness to connect to the small ECU connector.

But if you notice, there's another red wire from the interior S/C Activation Box that's supposed to also connect to the same red wire that came from the Fuel Control Unit connector harness.

This is the same red wire the instructions said to leave inside the car so the instructions don't match the wiring diagram.

Those of you who have done this installation, did you route the red wire from inside the car through the firewall and connect as the wiring diagram shows? If that's the case, why did the instructions say to leave the red wire inside the car and not push it through with the rest of the bundle?

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-24-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #117
LtNoogie

Although cutting/soldering/shrink wrapping wired connections makes for more reliable joints, not everyone has all the tools to do the job right. My brother and I come from a defense industry background so we have most of the tools of the trade. This may be harder on a typical college student.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #118
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Ooooh, bustin out the good soldering equipment...

Is the red wire power (or ignition power)? In which case you could find one inside the car. Test it...

Last edited by PetersRedYaris; 11-23-2008 at 09:35 PM.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #119
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Woooh, Noogie, looking at all this wiring and not understanding any of it makes me understand your joke about keeping the car stock! @_@
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #120
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Hey Noogie! Looking good! Two soldering stations?! If ever any of my crimps fail, I'm totally gonna undo everything and go this route as well.

But to answer your question, I fed the activation switch's red wire back into the engine bay and spliced into the ECU connection mentioned in the installation guide. Others found an IG+ source inside the passenger cabin to splice into (someone used the cigarette lighter as well).

Good use for the wiring loom! Different from me... I used my included loom to wrap the power wire from the battery over to the relay near the 'charger. For the 4 wires going into the cabin, I wrapped them with electrical tape near the grommet, and they're just bundled together inside the car.

Anyhow... again, nice writeup. And get ready... you'll be making boost in less than 24 hours!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #121
LtNoogie

Yeah, where my brother used to work, they were never allowed to strip wires with cutters due the risk of nicking wires. All stripping had to be done by melting the insulation. The HoTweezers is that device.

The soldering iron is a standard adjustable Weller soldering station. The last thing is a heat gun.

You also see a spool of solder, solder wick, a solder sucker, and flux remover. Off camera is a jar of flux. Lastly, there's a bag of assorted sized shrink tubing.

It is tight working in that ECU connector but we learned that you can pull some extra wire length out of the harness to give more wire to work with. It was a bit slow but we wanted it to look like it does at work.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #122
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
It's attention to detail like that, that creates a solid, long-lasting project

My approach would be to twist wires together and wrap with electrical tape, that's why I don't do wiring

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #123
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
It's attention to detail like that, that creates a solid, long-lasting project

My approach would be to twist wires together and wrap with electrical tape, that's why I don't do wiring

Thomas, do NOT do electrical work on your car!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #124
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Here's a question for all you Blitz owners: what did you use to cut up your engine cover? I bought a Dremel, and a few bits to cut soft things like plastic & wood. Anyhow, worked ok, but the bit gets hot and starts melting plastic and gets plastic goo everywhere, and is hard to make nice even cuts. What did other people use? Band saw? Hack saw? More patience? Let me know... I'm halfway done, and want it to come out nice!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #125
LtNoogie

I'm switching to a custom aluminum cover. I'm going to have it anodized blue and have some lettering etched into it.

We'll tackle that after the car's running.

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-24-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #126
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
I've been reading your thread, Long!

I love how you're doing this with your brother, with no goofing off whatsoever. Maybe you guys should be an official Blitz s/c installation center!

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote