Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #127
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it seems like people do not know Daihatsu is fully owned by Toyota, well by Japanese standards, which means Toyota owns 51%.

look what the koreans did in twenty years? The original hyundai excel was a piece of garbage, and now they are making cars that are actually desirable.

The Chinese car makers have a gigantic advantage since they can steal all the plans and info from non-chinese brands that choose to do business in china.

And while the qc is probably horrific, if you price a car 3 or 4 grand below the least expensive car in a market, they will sell. Just look at Yugo.

Oh, and people don't want air bags, abs, or nannies. They are all required by law. Air bags are not safe. They do prevent deaths, and that is proven, yet they also cause horrific injury to anyone who isn't the perfect 6'2" and 180 lbs. This cannot be disputed.

If you believe we live in a free society, people should be allowed to choose for themselves if they want an airbag or not. The crash stats are easy to find. People can choose for themselves whether having an explosive device that could save their lives, or injure them horribly is a good idea or not.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #128
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it seems like people do not know Daihatsu is fully owned by Toyota, well by Japanese standards, which means Toyota owns 51%.
I do. I brought it up on a thread last year.

Quote:
look what the koreans did in twenty years? The original hyundai excel was a piece of garbage, and now they are making cars that are actually desirable.
I agree

Quote:
The Chinese car makers have a gigantic advantage since they can steal all the plans and info from non-chinese brands that choose to do business in china.
I strongly agree

Quote:
And while the qc is probably horrific, if you price a car 3 or 4 grand below the least expensive car in a market, they will sell. Just look at Yugo.
I agree

Quote:
Oh, and people don't want air bags, abs, or nannies. They are all required by law. Air bags are not safe. They do prevent deaths, and that is proven, yet they also cause horrific injury to anyone who isn't the perfect 6'2" and 180 lbs. This cannot be disputed.
I agree. The way you put this made me LOL. For some reason I find the thought of a serious company trying to make a crash test dummy that looks like the 'average American' rather than 'Ken' hilarious.

Quote:
If you believe we live in a free society, people should be allowed to choose for themselves if they want an airbag or not. The crash stats are easy to find. People can choose for themselves whether having an explosive device that could save their lives, or injure them horribly is a good idea or not.
I agree, but I don't think this is a popular view (which I'm sure has already occurred to you).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #129
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Pretty much the car companies to surveys to tell them what people want.

Thats what they build.

If they build it people want it, as a rule of thumb.

Which is why I dont get what I want.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #130
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
I agree..

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #131
junorico24

Toyota plans to boost production.

The aggregate production of cars worldwide, including the production of Daihatsu Motor Co. and Hino Motors Ltd., is expected to exceed 10 million units

http://www.profi-forex.us/news/entry4000004500.html

Toyota knows the talent and potential of Daihatsu in building pocket rockets.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #132
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I agree, but I don't think this is a popular view (which I'm sure has already occurred to you).
Oh it has. I am used to being totally alone in my viewpoints. It hasn't stopped me yet.

You'd think Toyota would have imported Daihatsu to the US instead of faking a brand and naming it Scion.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #133
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Oh it has. I am used to being totally alone in my viewpoints. It hasn't stopped me yet.

You'd think Toyota would have imported Daihatsu to the US instead of faking a brand and naming it Scion.
LOL. I'm in touch with that mindset. One of my cousins (the mom of my little cousin who inspired my Yarisworld screen name) is a 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' type and she often rolls her eyes re the way I look at certain things. I also have attorney relatives who have tried to 'debate me off my opinion perch' re a couple of specific issues, but have yet to succeed.

I wish that for the 2013 model year the USDM effectively (like Europe) had a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen Yaris on sale at the same time.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #134
junorico24

GEELY is only sold in Western Australia in Perth not nation wide as of yet.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #135
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post

GEELY is only sold in Western Australia in Perth not nation wide as of yet.

The headlights and grill (in the top pic) make the front of the car look like the face of 'Mr. Bill' (1970s and 1980s Saturday Night Live + movie) .
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #136
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
The headlights and grill (in the top pic) make the front of the car look like the face of 'Mr. Bill' (1970s and 1980s Saturday Night Live + movie) .
All I know .. is that is one funny looking ugly car.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #137
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
All I know .. is that is one funny looking ugly car.
But you haven't seen the other sides .
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #138
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
LOL. I'm in touch with that mindset. One of my cousins (the mom of my little cousin who inspired my Yarisworld screen name) is a 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' type and she often rolls her eyes re the way I look at certain things. I also have attorney relatives who have tried to 'debate me off my opinion perch' re a couple of specific issues, but have yet to succeed.

I wish that for the 2013 model year the USDM effectively (like Europe) had a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen Yaris on sale at the same time.
I have a tendency to tell people like that,"if there are too many people who think like you do, your thoughts are probably flat out wrong."

It especially becomes obvious when people take opinions that are not thought out at all, or barely thought out. And when you point this out, with examples ad naseum, they still won't change their mind.

it is why we are all heading for a whole world of trouble.

It will be interesting to see if these chinese cars can succeed in Australia. I do hope so. If anything, i hope they keep prices down.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #139
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I have a tendency to tell people like that,"if there are too many people who think like you do, your thoughts are probably flat out wrong."
Sometimes, when I want to push these/such people's buttons, I'll tell them they are being part of the sheeple .

Quote:
It especially becomes obvious when people take opinions that are not thought out at all, or barely thought out. And when you point this out, with examples ad naseum, they still won't change their mind.
I agree. I think what is equally as (or perhaps even more) pathetic and or frustrating are people who have thought out their opinions and know all the arguments for their 'side' and are just going to end up being wrong. The common denominator between these two groups, IMO, is that with both their views stem from one or more components of their upbringing (where emotion is involved) rather than any intellectual rigor they may or may not have devoted to the issue at hand.

Quote:
it is why we are all heading for a whole world of trouble.
I agree, and I know smart people on both sides of the 'intellectual coin' who agree re this statement of yours and essentially agree on nothing else. I do think though, that some will navigate the trouble better than others. I sometimes wonder if the trouble accelerated (and I wouldn't necessarily mind that), would we have a better chance in the aftermath for change that would actually work.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if these chinese cars can succeed in Australia. I do hope so. If anything, i hope they keep prices down.
Yes, it will be interesting to see.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 02-24-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: sp re one word