Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #127
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
There are 2 different distinct noises that I hear with mine. The first is what we have determined to be pre-ignition and the second one is when the defrost or ac is on regardless if the sc is on or not and it sounds like a vibration that comes and goes with the engine loping when the ac compressor comes on and then goes off. Is this the noise you are talking about LT?
Yes. I had a friend in the car and he thought it sounded like some kind of vibration under the floor board. Wierd.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #128
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I'm also getting the buzzing/vibe that can sometimes be felt and/or heard from floor, pedal, and/or shifter.

For a while this was happening like clockwork, right at 3k rpm. Now it happens seemingly at random.

I've been assuming it's the exhaust heat shield rattling... just the fact that it affects the shifter, because I believe the cables go through the firewall right behind it. Not sure how you A/T drivers trans is set up.

After seeing the way the s/c additional vibrations quickly took apart anything I did not put back together well, I'm prepared to have to track down and fix things like this from time to time. I'm also prepared to live with a noise that does not affect performance or get worse--that's just the car talking to you
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #129
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
it sounded like a million screaming babies when he was pulling outta my driveway hahaahha
that was the pulley i put on to replace the one that flew off into traffic. i cant stand it, next week i am going to go to other part stores to find a heavy duty pulley that wont squeal. the pulley thats on there right now is so much lighter than what used to be on there. theres a 60 day lead time for the pulley from blitz, i cant go 60 days with that squealing pulley

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #130
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris T-Sport View Post
does it noise appear when you rev it in netural with ur SC set to ON? if it only does it under load or while you are driving
2 separate noises. the pre-ignition i don't have anymore, looks like the fuel additive has done away with it.

the buzzing is below the floorboard... does not happen that often now and for me it does not affect performance in any way, just slightly annoying.

To anyone who wonders if the tinkering is worth it: I've had small struggles but when the s/c unit is running as it should and all associated components of intake/exhaust/drivetrain/suspension are in harmony, I'd say you can expect very smooth transfer of power to the wheels at launch (in a straight line anyway), excellent throttle response, effortless rev matching, light steering, nice weight balance--the extra weight in front seems to help handling more than I thought it would.

That's why I drive with the thing set on Low all the time, as I find the power easier to modulate around corners that way--it makes my 25-mile commute on curvy semi-country roads over low hills like drifting in a dream through low speed torque land, lol.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #131
LtNoogie

I'll be in medium speed torque land at this weekend's autocross.

KK, have you raced the S/C'd car yet?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #132
kurokoma-kun

NO, not til end of March, our first test n tune grr. Theres a new regional SCCA class here--STM--its SM on street tires basically. Ill be running in that on RT 615s. Planning on taking back seat out also.

Good luck Long
Old 02-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #133
LtNoogie

It sucks that I have to move up to SM because of the S/C.

Oh well. I'll switch to RT 615 later in the summer or to Kuhmo XS.

Whooppee, you're going to drag race yours, right? You're trying to beat the best 1/4 mile time for a Yaris?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #134
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
im dying to race one of my friends with one of the new civic si's. they still dont think i can beat them.

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #135
LtNoogie

On a track, right?

Just warn them that if they get behind you, that you tend to eject parts from your engine bay as obstacles for them.

Sorry, I could not help myself.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #136
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris T-Sport View Post
mmm the new SI will hit 60 MPH in around 7 sec with a MT.......
Still waiting for one of you MT S/C'd guys to make a 0 to 60 video.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #137
kurokoma-kun

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
im dying to race one of my friends with one of the new civic si's. they still dont think i can beat them.
mmmm, those civic si's are pretty quick, so much depends on the driver though... a guy from out of town brought one to an auto-x last year and the only one in sts who could beat him was driving an older sentra se-r.

but i dont know anything about drag racing really and i don't even know my current 0-60 time
Old 02-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #138
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
im assuming you'll be doing this with those new lightweight 15's.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #139
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
...So the stp is crap according to them. One bottle of the lucas will get a 10 gallon tank of 93 to 96.6 they said best bang for the buck...
Well, many thanks for the tip camelll and yaris tsport on the lucas oil product! It has definitely done the trick, just went up the highway ramp where I first noticed the pre-ignition sound and its totally gone.

No wonder the STP is like a buck a bottle... if anyone sees the lucas fuel additive on sale, please post
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #140
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
glad to hear the success story!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #141
LtNoogie

I dumped a bottle of Octane Boost 104 in the car this morning before the autocross event. Even with the warm weather and a passenger, I did not have any pre-ignition.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #142
LtNoogie

Yaris t-sport heard the A/C noise coming from my car today. He thinks it's coming from a rattling heat shield somewhere along the exhaust. I'll find it next weekend.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #143
LtNoogie

My mechanic did it but I think the heat shield is still there. Why? Was he supposed to remove it?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #144
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The heat shield will not go back on with an aftermarket header (because an important bracket is welded to the stock header).

It's easy to see if it's on there by looking directly behind the motor - if you can see the header, you don't have a heat shield on there.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote