Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #1729
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
40 m.p.g. . Trip was many steep hills , 20 m.p.h. winds , 28 > 30 degrees , 2 people , 30% city 70% highway , 1/3 tank of SUNOCO 87 octane along with 2/3s 93 octane containing 10% ethanol , and GOODYEAR Eagle LS tires set at 34 p.s.i.. Using SHELL Full Synthetic 5w-30 and REDLINE MT-90 true synthetic for gear oil . Quite good for these temps and the winterblend of gas .

Last edited by gid; 12-07-2008 at 11:04 PM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #1730
hshi

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback Auto
very poor gas consumption: 22MPG or 400 KM off 42 L
My car: 2008 Yaris Hatchback Auto. total mileage is 10800KM.
I have some strange issue. Everytime when I start the engine and give the gas, the car engine will be revving but the speed stays slow, this may last around 5 mins and when I loose the gas a bit, the rpm will drop sharply and I feel a sudden push somehow. I always drive around city limits and mainly do the city driving. Any recommendations for that?
It kinda drives me insane as the main reason I go for yaris is for the gas consumption but it did not give what I expect.
Thanks

A Puzzled Yaris Owner

Hui
hshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #1731
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
That is odd indeed, hshi. It sounds as though your air and/or fuel flow is restricted, either by physical blockage or by the ECU. Since your vehicle is still within the warranty period I encourage you to take it to a dealership for repair. If you are more the DIY type here are a few things to try:

1) Check the air filter and reseat/replace it if necessary.
2) In the fuse box in the engine compartment pull the ECU fuse for 15 minutes and then put it back in.
3) Get a fuel injector cleaning gasoline additive and use it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #1732
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshi View Post
very poor gas consumption: 22MPG or 400 KM off 42 L
My car: 2008 Yaris Hatchback Auto. total mileage is 10800KM.
I have some strange issue. Everytime when I start the engine and give the gas, the car engine will be revving but the speed stays slow, this may last around 5 mins and when I loose the gas a bit, the rpm will drop sharply and I feel a sudden push somehow. I always drive around city limits and mainly do the city driving. Any recommendations for that?
It kinda drives me insane as the main reason I go for yaris is for the gas consumption but it did not give what I expect.
Thanks

A Puzzled Yaris Owner

Hui
i have this feeling that ur not using the right gear when you drive....use D...rather than 1 or 2
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #1733
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Hui,

Do you have a very short commute? Your symptoms sound like the engine warm-up cycle is affecting your shifting. My wife's auto XB retards the shifting while the engine is in the initial warm-up phase. Get out for a highway drive on the weekend for a good 20 minutes or more to make sure the engine gets to full temperature for a good while. If that tank significantly improves your average, consider a higher temp thermostat, engine heater, different oil, or other tricks to warm it up faster.

In Canada you should have gotten the cold weather package Yaris. The dealers shouldn't have had any others. If your not sure, have a mechanic check and evaluate if you are having cold engine problems.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #1734
Yaris#2

Drives: 2010 5dr hatchback manual
Less than 3000 miles on the care and last tank was 44.8. In town and rural roads. Some 2 lane highway driving mostly 70 degree weather. I can hardly wait for highway driving in the summer!
Yaris#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #1735
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
we've averaged close to 41 m.p.g. for the last 3 fill ups . These cars are cold blooded , love the heat .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #1736
shastatodd

Drives: 2009 RED Yaris
I am surprised so many people are reporting such low fuel economy with the Yaris.

I have a 2009, 3 door, well broken in now with 31K on it. On the freeway (74 MPH with A/C on) I typically get in the low 40's... 42 is very common.
In town with hypermileing techniques I have gotten as high as 51, but more typically get around 48 or 49 MPG.

These are the same kinds of numbers we got in our Prius (which my ex-wfe now has). I used to love the Prius, but now... considering the embedded energy in that vehicle, it seems silly to buy one when with conscious driving (what the Prius tries to do for you) you can obtain similar fuel economy. Plus the Yaris was $11.5K & the Prius was over $30K.
shastatodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #1737
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
I think everybody who speeds above the speed limit on the highway should stop on the shoulder and look out their window. When I'm going 65 mph on the freeway, I feel like I'm moving in slow motion, but it's scary how fast 65 mph looks when you're completely stopped.
Thai_Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #1738
Hershey

2008 automatic sedan : 44.56 for calculated mileage . ECO-METER : 44.2 . E.M.. Set at 98 . When set at 99 it's too high . No in betweens .
Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #1739
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastatodd View Post
In town with hypermileing techniques I have gotten as high as 51, but more typically get around 48 or 49 MPG.

These are the same kinds of numbers we got in our Prius (which my ex-wfe now has). I used to love the Prius, but now... considering the embedded energy in that vehicle, it seems silly to buy one when with conscious driving (what the Prius tries to do for you) you can obtain similar fuel economy. Plus the Yaris was $11.5K & the Prius was over $30K.

Using hypermiling techniques, I'm typically getting 48-50 MPG too! My highest so far was 53 MPG. The car is a 2010 with about 5,600 miles.

I'm actually doing about the same average as a Prius... at half the showroom price. That is why it was important for me in purchasing the Yaris. You can squeeze out comparable MPG with pretty much the same 'footprint' as the Prius! Go figure!

It would be nice if all people across the board purchased small vehicles and drove thinking common sense, efficiency, and used hypermiling techniques. Then we would really be 'green' even without having to drive marketed 'hybrid' cars!

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #1740
Hershey

here's our latest mileage when we went to look at a 2011 Fiesta . The 1st pic is M.P.G. average ( 45.3 ) when we arrived at the dealer lot . The second pic is the overall average ( 43.4 ) and miles when got home . The E.M. is set at 98 so reads slightly lower than the calculated fill , when at 99 reads too high . So likely at 44 avg.. Not so bad for a automatic . Still found a slight leak of the head gasket . Tip of finger was wet with fresh oil after cleaning it before the trip . Seems to be slowing down .
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #1741
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Using hypermiling techniques, I'm typically getting 48-50 MPG too! My highest so far was 53 MPG. The car is a 2010 with about 5,600 miles.

I'm actually doing about the same average as a Prius... at half the showroom price. That is why it was important for me in purchasing the Yaris. You can squeeze out comparable MPG with pretty much the same 'footprint' as the Prius! Go figure!
If you use the same hypermiling techniques plus the special ones for the Prius e.g. super highway mode which lets you get 70+ MPG on the highway http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...831#post171831 the Prius would have a much higher MPG than the average driver.

Last edited by KrazyDawg; 07-21-2010 at 11:43 AM.
KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #1742
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
If you use the same hypermiling techniques plus the special ones for the Prius, the Prius would have a much higher MPG than the average.
That's certainly true, but then you'd have spent at least twice as much for the Prius which takes an awful long time to break even on, and there are batteries to contend with.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with batteries and would absolutely love to have an electric car. I just don't care for the hybrid concept, or the tiny battery that the Prius uses which mandates a lot of load on it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #1743
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
That's certainly true, but then you'd have spent at least twice as much for the Prius which takes an awful long time to break even on, and there are batteries to contend with.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with batteries and would absolutely love to have an electric car. I just don't care for the hybrid concept, or the tiny battery that the Prius uses which mandates a lot of load on it.
I've purchased all my cars used. I've seen a used Prius at Enterprise for around 16-17k. My used Yaris was 10,600. I commute 130 miles a day but I don't plan on having this commute forever. I would probably break even sooner than the average person but you can't go wrong with either car.

There are reports of the original batteries on Ford Escape hybrids running past 300,000 miles. http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...000-plus-miles A Prius taxi driver in Canada was still running past 200,000 miles. I don't have any doubts about maintenace or longevity on the batteries.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #1744
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
I've purchased all my cars used. I've seen a used Prius at Enterprise for around 16-17k. My used Yaris was 10,600. I commute 130 miles a day but I don't plan on having this commute forever. I would probably break even sooner than the average person but you can't go wrong with either car.

There are reports of the original batteries on Ford Escape hybrids running past 300,000 miles. http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...000-plus-miles A Prius taxi driver in Canada was still running past 200,000 miles. I don't have any doubts about maintenace or longevity on the batteries.
You can always find the exception to the norm. All it takes is one time and you are stuck with a fortune in battery replacement costs. A Yaris battery is cheap..and the cost benefit of a Yaris over a Prius or any other hybrid is a no brainer.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #1745
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
You can always find the exception to the norm. All it takes is one time and you are stuck with a fortune in battery replacement costs. A Yaris battery is cheap..and the cost benefit of a Yaris over a Prius or any other hybrid is a no brainer.
It's unfortunate when it happens even to the most reliable brands out there. A battery replacement at Art's Automotive would be around $2850 (including labor) if the battery packs remain at $2500. http://www.artsautomotive.com/hybrid...e-prius-hybrid

Battery replacement on 1st gen Prius: http://www.artsautomotive.com/hybrid...ius-hv-battery

Art's Automotive from a mechanic's standpoint does point out that overall the maintenance cost and gas savings on a hybrid will cost you more than purchasing a high MPG commuter car like the Prius or "new" Fiesta.

I'm still trying to break the 40 MPG barrier and I have an Ecometer on the way. I'm going to try testing it with A/C on/off, fresh air vs circulating with with A/C off, etc to see what the MPG impact is.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #1746
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
I only get 37.3 mpg with AT. Wondering if I could get better? I do 60% hwy, 40% city, live in suburb Garden Grove, CA. I accelerate really slowly, time red lights and limit brake lights, limit idling, go 5 mph below speed limit in city, go 65 mph on freeway, no AC usage. Have 0w20 syn motor oil. How do you guys get above 40 mpg or even 50? I believe I drive slower than 100% of the people in my area.