Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
This is definitely my kind of thread (same problem I am having with needing to replace it)

Are you leaking oil much? I loose nearly quart in 6 months!. Iv just been keeping an eye on it and refilling. How easy is it to DIY? Read through thread that i need to have some tools tho...

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
kc0rpm

Drives: 08 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
This is definitely my kind of thread (same problem I am having with needing to replace it)

Are you leaking oil much? I loose nearly quart in 6 months!. Iv just been keeping an eye on it and refilling. How easy is it to DIY? Read through thread that i need to have some tools tho...
I wasn't leaking a lot but I hate leaks and got tired of seeing it every time I changed the oil and inspected the CV boots.

As for diy its not too terribly difficult but a couple of specialty tools are nice and one may be absolutely necessary. A slide hammer is one of the tools that makes the job a lot easier for both removing the axle and removing the seal. The tool that I found I couldn't do the job without was a ball joint seperator such as this http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...tor-99849.html. A simple pickle fork will only destroy the boot and there is not enough clearance between the ball joint and axle for anything else. I tried a similar tool to the harbor freight that I found at a parts store but it wouldn't fit between the bolt and axle.
kc0rpm is offline   Reply With Quote