Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM   #19
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
I take it on yours, the button is for the rear fog? Over here, all the kits and dealer installed fogs use a button for the front fogs (Rear fogs are not equipped on US cars, we have two reverse lights instead) What we are trying to figure out is if any USDM Yaris have a stalk-type fog light control... I still haven't seen a US Yaris with factory installed fogs to check if they still use the button, or if they have a stalk control.
Rear fogs were stock, so the stalk controls that. Front ones were added later, and controlled by the console button.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #20
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
So has anyone installed an eBay fog? Are the aimable?

I had to return the PIAA driving lamps I purchased for my car after I got the bumper off and saw that the fogs attach inside the bumper and there is no place to attach a traditional mounting bracket.

I went ahead and ordered a pair from eBay that I'll have to retrofit some other reflector into as I plan to use these as my high beams after my HID retro. Why do I always have to be the guinea pig around here?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #21
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
you could always just retro a bi-xenon projector into your headlight
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #22
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I did not wan to make a new post for this but, just another ebay find http://cgi.ebay.de/Funkfernbedienung...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #23
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
And yet another for those who want aftermarket mirrors
http://cgi.ebay.de/SPORT-SPIEGEL-ADA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #24
Violin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
you could always just retro a bi-xenon projector into your headlight
I know - I want the ability to flash my high beams when the lights are off though.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 AM   #25
paultyler_82

You can with a bixenon projector, occasional flash isn't as harmful for current generation ballasts and bulbs as it used to be, many vehicles that have xenon only from the factory do this when you flash the highs with lights off.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #26
Violin

I did not know that.

Still driving around big rigs, I like to let them know when it's safe to change lanes. I probably give more than an occasional flash.

Besides, I already have all my parts here or on their way.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #27
fantabulousbaby

Drives: 3 series
alrighty. after letting the box sit since september i'll install them tomo, on wed 12/20. then i'll be nice and post pics :) (ebay oem style fog lights for sedan)
fantabulousbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #28
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
I did not know that.

Still driving around big rigs, I like to let them know when it's safe to change lanes. I probably give more than an occasional flash.

Besides, I already have all my parts here or on their way.
Anyway, make sure you show plenty of pics of your retro, I'm going to be doing bi-xenon whenever I get my OWN Yaris (currently without Yaris, because the significant other and I are no longer together) And I'd love to see what projectors look like in the liftback's housing before I do my own
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #29
Violin

You bet.

My headlamp housings have shipped from Sparks so I'll start this weekend. I'm not sure how long it will take as I'm also renovating two bathrooms and trying to be a good Dad to three girls while also modding my Yaris but I will post plenty of photos.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #30
Violin

I'm thinking of retrofitting those Bosch mini H3 projectors into the fog light housing and removing the shield for my high beams (HID lows would always stay on). Do you have any opinion on that paul?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #31
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
I'm thinking of retrofitting those Bosch mini H3 projectors into the fog light housing and removing the shield for my high beams (HID lows would always stay on). Do you have any opinion on that paul?
I've heard from the folks on Hidplanet that the Bosch mini H3's make only so-so fogs, and terrible hi-beams. The problem is, in removing the shield entirely, the light cant be focused at all and by the time the scattered light is through the projector lens, it's so dispersed that it's practically unusable. That's why bi-xenon projectors only raise the shield, to move the cutoff upward and allow more light to be focused in a forward pattern, with any projector if you remove the shield completely, the light output pattern tends to suck. Everyone on Hidplanet is fairly unanimous that if you use single-xenon low beam, you should go with reflectored halogen hi-beam.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #32
Violin

Actually that's where I was reading up them. The photo that someone posted looked OK to me. Remember, I'm not really trying to get anything more than a 'flash to pass' function and the ability to put some light up on street signs, etc.

What kind of reflector could I retro into those eBay fogs? (there's just not enough room in our housing to squeeze a high beam in and have it look half-way decent, I don't think.)
Old 12-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #33
paultyler_82

That's the tricky part, maybe if you just aimed them a bit upward, and put in a slightly higher wattage bulb (though I'm not sure the wiring and housing would like that...)

EDIT *** Oh hell... I was just thinking, if you like the mini H3's pattern... you may just try retroing it it with your low beam, provided your HID projector is small enough, there's probably enough room... I mean, the Q45 projector will fit in there for god's sake, I would think a small halogen projector and a small to medium HID projector should be able to fit! It may take a bit more custom work and elbow grease, but it would certainly look a bit better and a little less odd than using a fog for hi-beam.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #34
Violin

Well my heart is pretty much set on using the Audi A4 bezel in there already.

Once I get the headlamp opened up, I may feel differently.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #35
Violin

Her's the thread I was thinking of: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20468

It's not the Bosch, but another H3 projector used as a high beam. I'd be happy with results like those.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #36
Violin

Using the H3 Osram Super (european version) I'd have 1,600 lumens compared to 1,500 for our stock high beams.