Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #55
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Agreed, this problem seems to happen too often. But without a recall or class action suit, I don't think Toyota will help outside of warranty. I found a replacement spiral cable at a junkyard for $10, maybe you will get lucky too. There are several compatible models and years.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #56
kebhen

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris with 184K
Ended up being a dead battery. Toasted regulator/alternator. A seat belt sensor and a spiral cable for the steering wheel. All fixed mostly with replacement parts except the spiral cable which I got from the junk yard for 125$.
kebhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #57
Ulisses03hd
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Yaris
Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm having the same problem and I did the jumper wire trick an came out with codes 32 and 51. Any idea what code 32 is? Btw, I couldnt find the new member section to introduce myself. Thanks for the help
-ulisses
Ulisses03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisses03hd View Post
Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm having the same problem and I did the jumper wire trick an came out with codes 32 and 51. Any idea what code 32 is? Btw, I couldnt find the new member section to introduce myself. Thanks for the help
-ulisses
32 indicates an issue with the occupant classification system, which consists of the OC ECU (the black box under the front edge of the passenger seat) and the 4 sensors in the seat frame for measuring the passenger's weight.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #59
ferruiz69

Drives: yaris s hatchback 2008
simple question

Hello! Im new in the forum, my mother in law yaris went in a light rear accident recently. Now the passenger airbag light always is in off. No matter somebody seated or buckle up. i read this thread and i understood what to do. But i have a problem. I cant download the service manual from the link provided. Only i need to know what pin is TC and what pin is CG physical in the obd 2 conector to make the jumper. Thanks for the help!
ferruiz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #60
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferruiz69 View Post
Hello! Im new in the forum, my mother in law yaris went in a light rear accident recently. Now the passenger airbag light always is in off. No matter somebody seated or buckle up. i read this thread and i understood what to do. But i have a problem. I cant download the service manual from the link provided. Only i need to know what pin is TC and what pin is CG physical in the obd 2 conector to make the jumper. Thanks for the help!
See post #2 of this thread.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #61
ferruiz69

?????

Hello scott! i went to post#2 and i found only a link. When i hit this link i cant find nothing about how to find TC and CG pins in the obd 2 conector. I apreciated if you can tell me directly to me how to find those pins in the obd conector. I checked the obd conector in the car and i dont found any pin number or letters in the conector. Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #62
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hello scott! i went to post#2 and i found only a link. When i hit this link i cant find nothing about how to find TC and CG pins in the obd 2 conector. I apreciated if you can tell me directly to me how to find those pins in the obd conector. I checked the obd conector in the car and i dont found any pin number or letters in the conector. Thanks
Click on the link again - It works and shows a diagram of the connector with those pins indicated.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #63
ferruiz69

Ok! now is working! i have the diagram! tomorow morning im going to make the procedure. i will let you know the results! Thanks for your help.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #64
ferruiz69

Found problem!

Hello Scott! I followed your instructions and works perfect. I got code 32. This code was pointed to the passenger seat. Troubleshooted with another passenger yaris seat (we have 2 yaris car in my family) and found the "computer occupant detection" inop. i have luck to have 2 yaris car in my family and help me to troubleshooted more fast. Is incredible that only a light rear accident (broken rear bumber and hatchback door vent only) went broken this computer. Around 300.00 usd new in the toyota and around 50.00 dollars used and i need to fix the body also. Well i choosed the used computer option. Thanks for your help see you soon!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #65
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hello Scott! I followed your instructions and works perfect. I got code 32. This code was pointed to the passenger seat. Troubleshooted with another passenger yaris seat (we have 2 yaris car in my family) and found the "computer occupant detection" inop. i have luck to have 2 yaris car in my family and help me to troubleshooted more fast. Is incredible that only a light rear accident (broken rear bumber and hatchback door vent only) went broken this computer. Around 300.00 usd new in the toyota and around 50.00 dollars used and i need to fix the body also. Well i choosed the used computer option. Thanks for your help see you soon!
If you can get the bad one, you should send it to me. I'd really like to see why they fail when the car gets tapped in the rear. Yours is about the third one I've heard of doing this.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #66
ferruiz69

When i called to the toyota to check the price they told me no matter the airbags deploy or not ,if the seat belt buckle stuck because the impact, this cause to damage this computer. For me i dont beleive this but i can say this computer is very sensitive and is garbage. The impact of this accident was light and this cause this computer went broken. About to send you my bad computer we need to wait. I dont buy yet the used computer because we have an insurance issue right now. We dont have the fault of the accident but the lady who impact me dont have insurance and no money to pay in cash. My insurance dont have collision coverage. If i decide to buy the used one im going to contac you to send you the bad one. Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #67
ferruiz69

Hello scott! Finally the car was fixed in the toyota dealer. They fixed the body and they put the computer to check the passenger airbag. They told me they reprogramed the system and started to work fine. No computer replacement was necesary. Thanks again for your help
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #68
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hello scott! Finally the car was fixed in the toyota dealer. They fixed the body and they put the computer to check the passenger airbag. They told me they reprogramed the system and started to work fine. No computer replacement was necesary. Thanks again for your help
Interesting. They must have done a recalibration for the passenger seat. That is about the only "reprogramming" that they can do.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #69
r0m4ca3ped

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I have a 2007 Yaris coupe. The srs light keeps turning on and off. I followed Scott's write up, by the way thank you it was very helpful, I used the ODB2 jumper trick. I am keep getting 51 51 51....I had monitored it for a few mintues to see if there's any other code aside from 51, but no. I thought it was spiral cable. So, I removed it and took to the lab and used DMM and microscope to see if anything was damaged or shorted. The robin cable did not have any damages or breakage. However, there are two connector going to actual steering wheel airbag. There's an orange and a black connector. Each connector has two pins. When I used the DMM to see for shorts or open connections, I noticed that the two-pin of each connect, orange and black, were shorted together. Is this correct? Should the pins be shortaged? Anyways, when i assembled the airbag, after a few minutes, the SRS light came back on. I am not sure what the cause is now. I would appreciate any timely response. Thank you.
r0m4ca3ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #70
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0m4ca3ped View Post
I have a 2007 Yaris coupe. The srs light keeps turning on and off. I followed Scott's write up, by the way thank you it was very helpful, I used the ODB2 jumper trick. I am keep getting 51 51 51....I had monitored it for a few mintues to see if there's any other code aside from 51, but no. I thought it was spiral cable. So, I removed it and took to the lab and used DMM and microscope to see if anything was damaged or shorted. The robin cable did not have any damages or breakage. However, there are two connector going to actual steering wheel airbag. There's an orange and a black connector. Each connector has two pins. When I used the DMM to see for shorts or open connections, I noticed that the two-pin of each connect, orange and black, were shorted together. Is this correct? Should the pins be shortaged? Anyways, when i assembled the airbag, after a few minutes, the SRS light came back on. I am not sure what the cause is now. I would appreciate any timely response. Thank you.
51 can indicate a short or an open in the driver's side squib circuit. With the spiral cable, when the connector is unplugged the two sets of squib pins do short together.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #71
r0m4ca3ped

Scott, appreciate the quick response. I do not understand what squib means. When I took the airbag out, I removed two connectors from it. There was an Orange connector and a black connector. What was interesting to me was that each connector had two pins, these stupid pins were shorted together. What was more interesting was that each pin had different color wires associated with it. Since both the Black connector and Orange connector's had their pins shorted, I thought I must be by design. But it didnt make sense as to why would Toyota use different wire but short them. Are these connectors should NOT have their pins shorted? Should I investigate and remedy the short within these connectors?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #72
r0m4ca3ped

Okay, if one removes these connectors and if they short, and if the ribbon cable is free of any defects, what else could cause a code 51?