Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Drive belt replacement?

How much do they charge at the dealers? Anyone do it DIY style?.. My Yari has done nearly 100 k on the clock so far so good. 5 years of ownership the belt looks caramelized. Also she's losing a bit of zip around town.This car was so much fun brand new. She's starting to show her age a bit. Anyone know how to turn back time and get that mojo back? lol

When I press the clutch pedal, I hear a squeeking sound and it's a bit sluggish off the mark now too.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I am not sure what the dealer would charge, but replacing the belt is actually a very easy DIY. You loosen the upper and lower alternator bolts, move the alternator towards the engine block to remove it, slip the new one on in its place, hold tension on the alternator, and tighten the alternator bolts.

The one thing you have to be careful of is not breaking the OCV (the small cylindrical device on the left side of the engine) when holding tension on the alternator.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I am not sure what the dealer would charge, but replacing the belt is actually a very easy DIY. You loosen the upper and lower alternator bolts, move the alternator towards the engine block to remove it, slip the new one on in its place, hold tension on the alternator, and tighten the alternator bolts.

The one thing you have to be careful of is not breaking the OCV (the small cylindrical device on the left side of the engine) when holding tension on the alternator.
Thanks so much.

What could that squeaking sound be when I press the clutch pedal?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Thanks so much.

What could that squeaking sound be when I press the clutch pedal?
Depending on where the squeak is coming from, it can be as easy as applying a little lithium grease to the pivot point of the pedal (if it is coming from inside the car) or to the linkage for the clutch master or slave cylinder (if it is coming from under the hood).
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
from my area....the dealer want to charge me $192ish....which absurdly expensive...i also drop by to their parts department to get a quote on the belt on my 07 HB...its like around $50ish...and i search around....most local auto parts sells it for $12.99 and from what i hear its pretty darn good....i would go with DIY and just buy the $12.99 and DIY at home...there u save urself almost $200 and at least sometime urself...hope this helps
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

I just did my son's Yaris this weekend. I got a Gates belt, which I like.
I thought I got it tight but the next day it started to squeal. I should of run it for 10 minutes and then gone back to re-tension the belt. As you said before, avoid the OCV. I went to the left of it, almost sort of sideways to apply tension.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt101786 View Post
from my area....the dealer want to charge me $192ish....which absurdly expensive...i also drop by to their parts department to get a quote on the belt on my 07 HB...its like around $50ish...and i search around....most local auto parts sells it for $12.99 and from what i hear its pretty darn good....i would go with DIY and just buy the $12.99 and DIY at home...there u save urself almost $200 and at least sometime urself...hope this helps
OMG, what a rip off ($192). I had mine done at a local independent shop that has been in business since 1973. I think it was thirty something bucks including the belt. The dealership is close by, so they drove there and got the belt at their price. Around the same time, I also had the rear brakes looked at (cleaned) and the parking brake cable adjusted.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
OMG, what a rip off ($192). I had mine done at a local independent shop that has been in business since 1973. I think it was thirty something bucks including the belt. The dealership is close by, so they drove there and got the belt at their price. Around the same time, I also had the rear brakes looked at (cleaned) and the parking brake cable adjusted.

Yeah.

It's a bit much.Going to be busy this weekend. I am changing the alternator on my 1993 Daihatsu Charade g 200 rs. Plus i am changing the rear drum brakes on my Daihatsu to disc brakes. http://daiforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=70 Plus of course last but not least. Changing my Yaris drive belt.I'm still searching for a 1.6 Daihatsu applause block, then mate it with a 1.3 charade head and pistons.It's got high compression! these things believe it or not go like pocket rockets.

Even the 3 cylinder Daihatsu got torque, so much fun to drive.it's surge is awesome. It's a unique engine got grunt for small cars.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
walt101786

yea i know its pretty expensive lol...hell if i dont wanna go through that trouble of doing it myself i wouldve take it to a local shop and pay for whatever the cheaper price..lol and by the way...i dont mind myself to charge anyone at least 50ish or OBO to help others to change there's but i would never charge that much...and i know some of u guys might ask what i do for living...im an auto tech myself and to charge someone that much is too much....unless i work for the dealership then that's a different situation....
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
junorico24

I managed to stop coolant leak, did the rear drum brakes to disc brakes conversion on my Daihatsu Charade.Changed the alternator on it as well. But when I tried to change my Yaris drive belt, the lower pivot bolt was damn near impossible to loosen. Decided I am not gonna break something in the process of loosening it.Is it 14 mm? It's torqued real tight.The upper adjuster bolt was easy as.But the lower pivot bolt was well stubborn.The car Is my bread and butter. I meanmy daily driver to get to and fro work.

LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I managed to stop coolant leak, did the rear drum brakes to disc brakes conversion on my Daihatsu Charade.Changed the alternator on it as well. But when I tried to change my Yaris drive belt, the lower pivot bolt was damn near impossible to loosen. Decided I am not gonna break something in the process of loosening it.Is it 14 mm? It's torqued real tight.The upper adjuster bolt was easy as.But the lower pivot bolt was well stubborn.The car Is my bread and butter. I meanmy daily driver to get to and fro work.

LOL
The bottom one is 14mm, and if it hasn't been touched in a while it can be mighty snug, I snapped one, but fortunately the way it broke the alternator came off easily and I replaced the bolt with a Grade 8 one.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
walt101786

man looks like im gonna have some trouble myself for replacing my belt lol...will be my first time changing my belt...got my belt for $14ish and gonna avoid the dealer price of services lol which i had save myself like 180ish lol
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
You should make sure when you are trying to loosen really tight bolts, you prep it with some liquid wrench/WD 40 and use 6 point sockets/box wrenches. When you put it all back, ensure you use a torque wrench to the correct specs using the bulletins from Garms Micro Image forum website.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
junorico24

Done,

I also changed my manual transmission fluid which was easier than changing the belt. What i did was put an extension on my wrench to get extra leverage to loosen the bolt.

Ok, i ran into a snag.When you tighten your belt make sure it's really tight or else it will squel like crazy.It's just my 20 cent of advice. Really tighten it hard fellas and ladies.Personally this job is simple but if you haven't done it like me, it's a bit like trail an error.

The manual transmission fill cap and drain bolt came lose without a fuss and was a pleasure to service.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
I have never changed the belt either, but I would imagine there are some places where you can use some lipstick or white out or whatever to mark where the alternator was before you loosened it to see where to move it back to to tighten. It would make perfect sense to me that after marking and changing that you should not have to move the alternator adjustment back as far as with the old belt because of natural stretch.

When I replace my pulley with an MI, I am going to do the belt as well....might as well right?
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Drive belt cost.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...mp-without-a-c
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
I have never changed the belt either, but I would imagine there are some places where you can use some lipstick or white out or whatever to mark where the alternator was before you loosened it to see where to move it back to to tighten. It would make perfect sense to me that after marking and changing that you should not have to move the alternator adjustment back as far as with the old belt because of natural stretch.

When I replace my pulley with an MI, I am going to do the belt as well....might as well right?
No - Just the material tolerances in the belt would make it unlikely to fall in the same position. Checking the deflection is the correct way. There are actually devices that you can by to do so, if you are not used to assessing the tension by pressing on the middle of the belt with your finger tip.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
walt101786

just replaced my belt and rides like new now...