Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Eforno

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2014 LE
Removing the Glove Box in a 2014 LE

I got a cable jammed behind the glove box in my 2014 Yaris LE and it's stuck in between the AC cabin I believe. I checked my manual and the glove box removal instruction looked easy, but no matter how much I push the side of the glove box I can't unhinge the the top lock of the glove box. Can the winter cold be making the plastic harder? How can I remove the box? The glove box damper fell off in the process and I can't put it back in.

Thanks.
Eforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
that guy

Drives: 2012
I pulled the glovebox on my 2012 this summer to do the cabin air filter. It took a lot more force than seems safe. I pressed both sides of the box like the manual stated. Trying to wiggle the glovebox upwards helped.

Yes the cold is making the plastic stiffer and it will be more brittle. If you can't wait until warmer weather to finish everything behind the glovebox, a hairdryer may help make the plastic more pliable and less likely to break.

Did the damper fall off the glovebox side or the dash side? If it fell off the glovebox side, there is a little plastic post you would push it back onto. If it's the dash side, I'll have to look at mine in the morning.

Hope that helps.
that guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Eforno

It's the damper on the glove box's right side. It looks like a cigarette USB charger, and I can't get my hand in from under to reattach it. I'll take a photo once I can. You mind taking a photo of where on the photo you pushed on? On my manual it shows a picture with an arrow telling me to push the box from the right.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
that guy

Drives: 2012
Hey there, I tried taking some photos but due to weather, none came out super clear.
I found one that must have come from a brochure or something and doctored it up with paint. Unless you have an assistant, you can only do one side at a time, you are trying to bend the plastic on the upper back left/right corners of the glovebox so that the tabs that hold the glovebox open can be pushed past the plastic which normally stops them.

I'm still not convinced that I did mine properly as brute force and plastic don't go well together. I'll try fiddling around with the glovebox in the morning to see if there is some magical trick I missed the last time I removed it.

Regarding the damper, is it still attached to the glovebox? If so then you'll want to wait until the glovebox is out. That should give you enough room to see where it attaches. I had just disconnected the damper from the glovebox end only, so I didn't see how the other end of it mounts.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glovebox.jpg (66.3 KB, 72 views)
that guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Eforno

Thanks for going out of the way to show me how it's done. The damper looks like a cigarette charger. Last time I had to use my body weight and I couldn't even get the side of the glove box to budge. This is ridiculous...

Tags
glove box, yaris 2014