Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
This Week's DIY

Replace front rotors (Dura-Go) and pads (Centric C-Tek ceramic)
Replace front bleeder screws (Carlson) and flush system (again)
Replace serp belt (Dayco DriveRite)

The front brakes on the car are currently in decent shape but I like to start 'new' after getting a car. I think the pads, but not rotors, were replaced not long before we bought the car.

Drop pan and replace filter (WIX) and ATF (Toyota WS) on the 08 Yaris. 06 has already had three drains and refills but no filter change. Will get to that before too long. Wasn't going to after talking to Toyota, but think I will now.

All these goodies from Rock Auto for just under $100.00 CAD delivered. Love Rock Auto, but I've said that before.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-29-2017 at 05:55 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You always momentarily freak me out when you state price delivered. Then I quickly remember that you have a US drop box that you have shipped to. Rotors alone I believe are in the neighbourhood of $40 each at CTC.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
You always momentarily freak me out when you state price delivered. Then I quickly remember that you have a US drop box that you have shipped to. Rotors alone I believe are in the neighbourhood of $40 each at CTC.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Haha, yeah, I should probably mention that in each post in which I brag about the deals. LOL! They actually let me across today without paying duty (HST) as I had both my wife and two kids with me. $25.00 each for car parts. Had to appreciate the border services agent on today. Guess she figured we all drove in the car, so we were each entitled to claim our bit.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
Blakethesnake

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
Please keep me updated on the transmission service. I have just acquired a 2007 yaris automatic. Im unsure whether or not to service the trans. Some say yes. Toyota says no. Working fine and I don’t want to cause any problems. It has 120 thousands miles. My instinct says drain and fill a few times to rejuvenate atf. I have read alot of threads. And can’t make up my mind on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Only time I but parts at local stores is when I need them asap or if it's a part that carries a lifetime warranty. RA always comes up at a fraction of the cost and if I keep it under $200 they don't seem to charge me any hst at the border. They have never made me pay duty regardless of the amount, only taxes.

You can also flush the transmission yourself if you remove the trans cooler lines and run the car. The transmission flushes the trans for you. There are some write up online about it and bit worked like a charm on my vibe
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakethesnake View Post
Please keep me updated on the transmission service. I have just acquired a 2007 yaris automatic. Im unsure whether or not to service the trans. Some say yes. Toyota says no. Working fine and I don’t want to cause any problems. It has 120 thousands miles. My instinct says drain and fill a few times to rejuvenate atf. I have read alot of threads. And can’t make up my mind on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm an advocate of changing the fluid. When I spoke to Toyota recently they recommended only a drain and fill. My Sedona doesn't really have a serviceable filter without cracking the trans case, so that one will only get drain and fills. The Yaris cars will both get a new filter and minimally 2 drain and fills. I don't believe in a 'lifetime' fluid no matter what a manufacturer says, since I expect that their definition of 'lifetime' differs from mine. I would at least do a drain and fill, maybe a couple. I like to do one, then wait a few days and repeat. Maybe conjecture, but I like to slowly 'condition' the trans to the new viscosity, rather that 'shock' the transmission with a big dose of new fluid. In any event, draining and refilling the ATF on the Yaris is child's play.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-30-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Only time I but parts at local stores is when I need them asap or if it's a part that carries a lifetime warranty. RA always comes up at a fraction of the cost and if I keep it under $200 they don't seem to charge me any hst at the border. They have never made me pay duty regardless of the amount, only taxes.

You can also flush the transmission yourself if you remove the trans cooler lines and run the car. The transmission flushes the trans for you. There are some write up online about it and bit worked like a charm on my vibe
Yes, "duty" seems to be the HST only. That's all they have ever charged us.

I have always wanted to do a flush with the car's trans pump but I'd worry about ultimately getting the fluid level right. I've probably dropped 20 trans pans and refilled but I always seem to get contradictory readings on the dip stick even when testing at the manufacturer's recommended atf temp. Now, my Sedona, it has a sealed transmission - no dipstick and it's a breeze to do the change. Open the upper valvebody plug, ATF at 150 F, engine running and drain until it's a thin stream - job done.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
If you ship them to the US, and pick up, you may or may not only pay HST/GST&PST.
If you ship to Canada, then you will only pay GST.

Usually, the difference comes about 20-30$ for the bunch stuff I purchase which I rather pay than driving across the border.

Anyways, tell me how you like the dayco belt. I've not heard good things about them on the forum. I went with a Goodyear gator back instead, and has been great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
If you ship them to the US, and pick up, you may or may not only pay HST/GST&PST.
If you ship to Canada, then you will only pay GST.

Usually, the difference comes about 20-30$ for the bunch stuff I purchase which I rather pay than driving across the border.

Anyways, tell me how you like the dayco belt. I've not heard good things about them on the forum. I went with a Goodyear gator back instead, and has been great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I will certainly let you know how I like the dayco belt. I too read about them on the forum, of course, only after I had purchased. I do like the sound of the Gatorback belts. When I went to test drive the 'new' 08 Yaris, the seller said that the belt squesks when the engine is started. He also said that he sprayed belt dressing on it. He found out afterwards that belt dressing is a no-no on serpentine belts. So, I did experience the squealing - quite bad actually. After about 30 seconds it stops. I'm bringing the Dayco belt, brake cleaner and stiff bristle brush when I pick up car and will change it in the driveway before departing.

I also found this interesting video on youtube about the Yaris and belt squeaking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrVMtyIqIY