Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
6 Months Review: Buick Encore

I've had my Buick Encore for 6 months now. Thought I'd write a mini review for the handful of you who may be interested.

First, and very important to me, this car has the most comfortable driver's seat and driving position of any car I've ever driven. Modern Americans may find the seats a bit narrow.

The ride is exceptionally smooth and tomb quiet. Handling is surprisingly good for a tall compact SUV.

The tiny 1.4L turbo is plenty quick around town. The car accelerates nicely entering the highway and performs confidently; very stable and ample power to pass. The 6-speed automatic transmission works flawlessly; upshifts and downshifts nicely and never hunts. If you’re not afraid of the accelerator, the car is anything but slow.

Interior is nicely laid out, and materials and design look/feel upscale. The leather wrapped steering wheel is handsome and feels good in your hands. The instrument panel has analog tach and speedo, as well as a handy multi-function driver information screen. The centre screen for back-up camera and entertainment system is huge, and I’m beginning to get the hang of some of the functions. The Bose sound system is great.

On the outside, everything seems to fit together perfectly; all body panels and trim are properly aligned and gaps are nice and even. Happy to say, the paint quality is excellent.

Around town, I can easily get 24-25 MPG. Today, I drove very gently and got home from in-town driving with 29.4 MPG. On the highway, I can get 38-40 MPG if I keep the car under 70 MPH. I’ll have to try cruise control on the open road sometime and see what MPG I can accomplish.

That’s it. I love this car!

BTW, the more I research Opel platforms, the more I discover how reliable they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc03096.jpg (309.8 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by kimona; 02-04-2018 at 10:16 AM.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Glad that you are enjoying it. Does the Buick Encore use the stop/start engine technology? When I was driving the Buick Envision rental for a week, that feature drove me crazy. The engine/body/pedal/steering-wheel shudder at every stop & start, as the engine turned itself off & then restarted, was unnerving and annoying for me. Other than that, the Envision seemed like an okay vehicle - though not something I would ever personally buy at a $35-40K price tag versus to other offerings in that $$$ range. I also wasn't a fan of the push-button start on the Envision. I guess that I am just a traditional key sort of guy (plus, I have seen push buttons even on otherwise quality electronics just stop working) The physical size of the Encore would probably be more my speed versus the Envision - but I will never buy a vehicle with that shuddering start/stop nonsense. I do think that the Encore is a nice looking little crossover though, versus most of the other offerings in that class.

Last edited by Kalispel; 02-04-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

No, my Buick Encore (Preferred I model with 1.4L/138HP) doesn't have that feature. Encore models with the 1.4L/153HP have the stop/start feature... which apparently is designed to save fuel.

I'm noticing a lot of luxury vehicles with that stop/start feature, and I don't think it's something I'd like, but I've never actually driven it.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
bairjo

Only one problem...it is a GM. Hope you still love it when you do your 5 year review.. Thanks for posting.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
My boss had to trade in his miata for one of these in December. He is pretty happy with his as well.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Only one problem...it is a GM. Hope you still love it when you do your 5 year review.. Thanks for posting.
My Buick Encore is a 2-year lease, so I don't expect to do a 5 year review. Yes, it’s a GM; however, the Encore is an Opel platform (see Opel/Vauxhall Mokka) that is assembled in Korea and finally wears a Buick badge. So, “It’s not your father’s Buick” advertising clearly has deeper meaning than just aesthetics.

I’ve read numerous reviews where Buick's Opel platforms have been consistently rated for reliability on par with Toyota/Lexus for several years now. After some research, I discovered that Opel/Vauxhall vehicles are actually excellent cars with outstanding long term reliability.

As a diehard Toyota fan and JDM enthusiast for many years, I currently have no interest in any Toyota; all models are too damn ugly, uncomfortable seating in most, wretched CVT, and among the worst paint quality in the industry.

I drove every Japanese car that appealed to me before deciding to get the Buick Encore. My second choice would have been the Nissan Rogue or Rogue Sport, but Nissan reliability is average at best and Nissan paint is terrible. I’ve since driven the Subaru Impreza, and I really like the car, but Subaru reliability is just average and Subaru has far too many incidents of complete CVT failure.

Top of my list right now for a purchase or lease is an Opel platform, so I guess that means GM for me... in the short term anyway.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
shes a beauty

we miss ours!
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
shes a beauty

we miss ours!
Yes, I remember you had a very nice steel blue one.

I agree. The overall design of this little SUV is very attractive... with clean flowing lines that just make sense from any angle. I enjoy just looking at this car.

I guess I could sum up the driving experience as: pleasant, peaceful, comfortable, and confident.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Very happy with this review!

I had bought my wife a pre-owned certified 2010 Equinox LT with a bit over 80k miles back in 2013 and we loved the 6 speed slushbox. However, it had plently of mechanical problems. The first to go was the remote start feature which ceased when the o2 sensor had gone bad but once that was fixed, it remote started flawlessy (which helped since we had two 3 year olds in the summer). The engine blew 3 times in the 1 year period, and I swear she drives like a grandma. It had comfortable seating for 5 occupants with the awesome "push button child lock" on the center console. It was quiet (until the piston rings went 3x) and we were in and out of the Chevy dealership many times. What was crazy was that every time we went in for major service, we were always given some kind of Kia product. We fell in love with the Kia Optima hybrid but the rear window made her nervous. We were heartbroken and before the 100k mark we traded up to a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5l and have been happy ever since.

I love GM products, I just think that their v8s are more reliable than their gas-sipping counterparts. I do love your car though.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

^^^ Too bad about your Chevy Equinox.

Since 2007, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating for the Equinox has been "among the best"... except for the 2008 and 2010 models.

I drove a 2018 Equinox about a month ago. It's a really handsome car that seemed to do everything very well. GM had a crazy lease special for the LS model: $89/month with $1500 cash (including all drive off fees and first payment).
Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #12
ABSPLASTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ Too bad about your Chevy Equinox.

Since 2007, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating for the Equinox has been "among the best"... except for the 2008 and 2010 models.

I drove a 2018 Equinox about a month ago. It's a really handsome car that seemed to do everything very well. GM had a crazy lease special for the LS model: $89/month with $1500 cash (including all drive off fees and first payment).
Yup... that darn 2010 model. The wife just had to fall in love with that damn thing.

Would you consider owning the Encore?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Would you consider owning the Encore?
Good question.

MSRP was approximately $25,400.
2 year lease @ 129/mth = $3096.
I can buy the car for $16,400 at lease end.

Right now, it's as if I'm test driving the Encore for 2 years for a very reasonable fee. So, if the car proves reliable for the term of the lease, I'll seriously consider purchasing it.

Is that wise? What if I can lease another Encore for the same rate? With GM's crazy lease specials, it may be cheaper to just lease a new car every 2 years.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #14
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Good question.

With GM's crazy lease specials, it may be cheaper to just lease a new car every 2 years.

thats the ticket!
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
ABSPLASTIC

Quote:
Good question.

MSRP was approximately $25,400.
2 year lease @ 129/mth = $3096.
I can buy the car for $16,400 at lease end.

Right now, it's as if I'm test driving the Encore for 2 years for a very reasonable fee. So, if the car proves reliable for the term of the lease, I'll seriously consider purchasing it.

Is that wise? What if I can lease another Encore for the same rate? With GM's crazy lease specials, it may be cheaper to just lease a new car every 2 years.
Well with that said, leasing would be a better option

I've leaver leased a vehicle before so you did a great job convincing me lol.

I have a sudden urge to see what local leasing deals are around my neck of the woods...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Well with that said, leasing would be a better option

I've leaver leased a vehicle before so you did a great job convincing me lol.

I have a sudden urge to see what local leasing deals are around my neck of the woods...
Current GM lease specials in CA until 2/28/2018:

2018 Buick Encore Preferred: $2000 cash (includes reg/lic/doc fees, 1st payment, tax), 23 x $99/mth.

2018 GMC Terrain SLE: $2000 cash (includes reg/lic/doc fees, 1st payment, tax), 23 x $129/mth.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Glad that you are enjoying it. Does the Buick Encore use the stop/start engine technology? When I was driving the Buick Envision rental for a week, that feature drove me crazy. The engine/body/pedal/steering-wheel shudder at every stop & start, as the engine turned itself off & then restarted, was unnerving and annoying for me. Other than that, the Envision seemed like an okay vehicle - though not something I would ever personally buy at a $35-40K price tag versus to other offerings in that $$$ range. I also wasn't a fan of the push-button start on the Envision. I guess that I am just a traditional key sort of guy (plus, I have seen push buttons even on otherwise quality electronics just stop working) The physical size of the Encore would probably be more my speed versus the Envision - but I will never buy a vehicle with that shuddering start/stop nonsense. I do think that the Encore is a nice looking little crossover though, versus most of the other offerings in that class.
Kalispel, I wanted to tell you that my new GMC Terrain SLE has the stop/start feature. I didn't even realize it at first! It doesn't seem to affect the driving experience whatsoever; except for an almost imperceptible tiny shudder, the engine restarts immediately when I release the brake pedal... and there is no hesitation at all when accelerating.

As for the push button start, both my Encore and Terrain have this feature. At first, I wished the Encore had the traditional key start, but I quickly learned to like the push button. Now, I would be disappointed if the Terrain didn't have the push start.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Current GM lease specials in CA until 2/28/2018:

2018 Buick Encore Preferred: $2000 cash (includes reg/lic/doc fees, 1st payment, tax), 23 x $99/mth.

2018 GMC Terrain SLE: $2000 cash (includes reg/lic/doc fees, 1st payment, tax), 23 x $129/mth.
$99 a month is hilarious.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote