Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #37
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
keep me updated if anyone finds out the cause of the rattling of an automatic yaris in reverse, my yaris has less than 2000km on it but rattles like a mofo when in reverse . . . . . like a splinter underneath the fingernail . . . . . .
Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #38
Polar_Yaris

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 dr LE Auto
Okay guys, just came back from service. Rattling noise is from "poor fit of a/t cable bracket at firewall" Fixed by "insulated bracket with silencer kit"....well one thing fixed.
The humming at hwy speed...the technician said it might be the resonance from the engine and the exhaust system, however, there was not much he can do now unless there are more ppl making the complaint and toyota will issue a service recall or something.......

WELL I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GET THEIR YARIS ON HWY SPEED TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
Old 02-17-2006, 09:47 PM   #39
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for the info. Has the dealer explained why the rattle occurred only when the car was in reverse gear?
As for humming at highway speed, I have not noticed any yet but I will pay more attention from now on. If I hear any, I will let you know. The car is not too quiet on highway anyway.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #40
Polar_Yaris

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 dr LE Auto
Exclamation

Swng, well...they just said the cable is knid of routed in less than perfect position......the humming is very noticeable when cruising at hwy speed you can even feel the vibration on the steering wheel.......
Old 02-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #41
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
With my stock tires/wheels I have no problems at highway or any speeds. I have a little vibration going onto the highway when my Toyos are cold which quickly disappears.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:30 AM   #42
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Yaris
Swng, well...they just said the cable is knid of routed in less than perfect position......the humming is very noticeable when cruising at hwy speed you can even feel the vibration on the steering wheel.......
I will pay attention to the steering wheel and let you know my observation in due course. May take a week or so. Really no impression right now about the hum and vibration described by you. My car was delivered in mid-Oct 05. May be the problem had been dealt with before it was delivered.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #43
swng

I drove about 45kms on highway yesterday and did not notice any unusual humming noise. There were no abnormal vibrations at the steering wheel too. I am beginning to feel lucky.
NB-I had my windows closed and tire pressure was at 33 lbs psi all around.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #44
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Yaris
The humming at hwy speed...the technician said it might be the resonance from the engine and the exhaust system, however, there was not much he can do now unless there are more ppl making the complaint and toyota will issue a service recall or something.......

WELL I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GET THEIR YARIS ON HWY SPEED TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
hmm... I tried running around 100-120 km/h on the hwy during the weekend, didn't notice the hmm...ing noise? I just heard the wind noise and the normal engine sound...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #45
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Did anyone else bring their vehicle back to the dealer for the noise while reversing problem? I'm wondering, if I mentioned to the service rep about "hearing some rattling from the front when I put into reverse gear", will they know immediately there's a TSB out there for this? I don't want them to say "it's normal for a Yaris, you shouldn't expect Camry quality there..." blah blah blah...

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #46
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Dammit, after roughly 2100 clicks my Yaris start making noise that it have not before. I have no idea why, could have been the freezing rain last week. Gotta bring back to shop for check tonight.
Noise such as:
apply breaks -- like marbles juggling
front glove department -- ticking noise
gear change -- clicking noise that WAS NOT there before..
however, i did not hear anything 'unusual' for reverse.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #47
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Actually I have one new squeak noise to add to the list...

Last night it was very cold in Toronto, and I set the fan to level 2, and I was in a plaza's parking lot waiting for parking. Then I heard some squeezing noise like those you found on old beat up cars, I did not notice that was from my car. Then after a while I finally figured the noise is actually from my car, then I turn off the fan and then back on again, the noise is gone. Wondering if the fan motor needs some oil already?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #48
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
it seems to be a common prob with all small engines... not sure why myself but im guessing its the revving of the engine since only one cylinder is goin through its pwer stroke at a time my truck (2.4L) does it too it must be the number of cylinders thats why motorcycles have such high and sometimes vicious shaking even at higher revvs
Old 02-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #49
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Keep an eye, or ear on it GabL and get to the dealer.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #50
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
Actually I have one new squeak noise to add to the list...

Last night it was very cold in Toronto, and I set the fan to level 2, and I was in a plaza's parking lot waiting for parking. Then I heard some squeezing noise like those you found on old beat up cars, I did not notice that was from my car. Then after a while I finally figured the noise is actually from my car, then I turn off the fan and then back on again, the noise is gone. Wondering if the fan motor needs some oil already?
From the description it sounds like it might be the fan belt getting itself out of place.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #51
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yariman
Keep an eye, or ear on it GabL and get to the dealer.
Yeah, it will be in the dealership next week! I'll keep you guys posted on what's going on.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #52
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmingie
I have found my Yaris to have lots of rattles and noises from the interior.

The glove box was rattling - sounding like it was coming from the a-pillar. I still have rattling from the back somewhere, in the dash somewhere and both front doors.

Anyone else experiencing this?

You would figure working at a dealer this would be looked after, but as an employee my car always comes in last and its tough to get it in to be looked at.

S.
Tell them how crappy of a job they are doing. Allright... So don't say that... But hey... This is one of those things where I say "You get what you pay for." That's the only explanation for that, that I can think of. Manufacturers are thinking "The bang for the buck." When most people look at a car they consider looks... They don't really care how things work... And manufacturers know this stuff... If it looks cool, it has to be awesome, right? Cars and the materials that they are being made of aren't so strong as compared to the vehicles in the past, though they make them look all nice... There are bound to be few a rattles from that stuff inside... No big deal... As long as it doesn't sound like you whole cars is going to fall apart... Toyota seems to be one of the companies that uses slightly better materials in their cars than it's competitors, so it could be worse... And remember... This is one of the cheaper cars on this side of the spectrum... That's not to say it's no good, but it sure isn't a Lexus. And the car is also breaking itself in... It's brand new... It has to get use to running, so noises you never heard before, are going to appear... As long as they aren't out of the orindary... Don't second guess yourself though... If it sounds bad, take it in.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #53
swng

Yes, I agree. At this price, a little rattle and harshness should be expected. However, I will check out with other members first to see if they have the same kind of problems before I decide whether to take any action. If they don't, I will be more concerned. It is wonderful to be able to "listen" to different views from different members on this forum.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #54
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Sorry gang but I disagree! Yes it is the cheapest Toyota but it still is a Toyota, in my opinion one of the best built cars in the world. It still costs 20K all said and done and there better not be anything wrong with it! Including squeaks and rattles. If a dealer hopes that he can brush people off with an excuse, well there just are no excuses for a new car under warranty! My Yaris is solid as a rock and if it wasn't there would be sh-t to pay!