Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
blizzard mileage

I had a 2 hour drive to a small Wyoming town, and later in the day drove back. Going there took me 2 hours, coming back took 6 due to closed roads, backtracking, and just sitting there at one point for a half hour or so. I finally made it through one mountain pass, and then across the flats ran into whiteout conditions, glare ice, and 50 to 60 mph winds. I was in mostly first and second gear, and had to come to a full stop several times when the viz was absolutely zero. Going so slow helped make the wind not a big factor, it didn't seem to want to push me off the road anyway.

Even on a good day this route is lightly traveled, but I did see a half dozen rigs in about 1 1/2 hrs, just enough to make it real worrisome of getting rearended or do so to someone else. At one point, I realized I was driving a tiny white car The rigs I saw were full sized pickups and one county plow, they would have won in any shoving contest!

Anyway, point being, I got home and the entire drive averaged out to 38.9 MPG! Nothing like my summer mileage of mid 40, but I was surprised it was that good for all that low gear creeping. Scariest winter drive of my life, and I been driving in the winter for a lot of years, but hey I got pretty decent mileage!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that's impressive. I agree I hate driving in winter storms where there are other people driving or things to hit. They are fun as heck though if you know there is nothing at all to hit.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
That's why I didn't get a white Yaris. My wife loves white for a car color but I wanted something with more visibility. The silver or gray is the worst because you blend into the cement color.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Idahotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
That's why I didn't get a white Yaris. My wife loves white for a car color but I wanted something with more visibility. The silver or gray is the worst because you blend into the cement color.
Yeah I read that somewhere also, silver and grey being the worst in catching the eye...... short of driving in a blizzard, I think white fares pretty well though. The few other drivers I came across all were savvy enough to have their emergency blinkers on, as did I. Normally I just really like the Polar White look combined with dark tint windows, that day, not so much. I think I read white is tops in resale value, not sure I care about that though.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Idahotom

I had another blizzard drive from hell, 730 miles in what started out OK weather then turned bad. Plus, going through a section of Yellowstone Park, watching (out) for buffalo (when I could barely see the road) was another bit of fun.

Coming back I went a different route, and had a stretch of pure ice (not icey, solid wind polished ice full width) for about 45 miles, (no gravel, that's for sissies) with 40 mph + winds from all directions. No houses, coffee shops, motels, bars, keep going or else. At one point the wind was direct cross, seeming to want to push me into the unguard railed Madison River, the Yaris didn't go for it, I never felt it move sideways and find that hard to believe myself! Traffic was very light, but like last time mostly full size 4x4's along with some double trailer hay hauler semis. I gotta think they were surprised to see the little Yaris plugging along ("what a dumb ass" probably!)

Crossing the Continental Divide north of Henrys Lake Idaho, I had a period of total whiteout and had to full stop, not good, but 15 seconds later (a long 15 seconds...) was able to start again and then shortly thereafter it amazingly cleared on the other side of the Divide. So, 730 miles in 14 hours (when not on ice or whited out I hauled ass) 52+ MPH average, all in one day with no breaks other then 1 gas and two to go coffee stops. Got home at 9pm, left at 4am, and felt fine, tired but not because of the car. What a bad ass little car...oh yeah, 41.8 MPG!