Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #37
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush View Post
What kit?
Dual cathode kit from oznium.com. 16 bucks and it will be on my doorstep by the weekend.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #38
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
It really looks perfect. What I want to know is if there is way to wire them to the stock dome light so they will fade on when the door is opened, and concurrently wire them to a switch so you can turn them on if you're driving around and want to have them on to show off a bit... without of course having that switch also turn the dome light on. Sounds complicated.
Theater lighting as it's called, cannot be acheived with cathodes, and with LED tubes the effect is hit and miss, it may work, or they may just go from on to off once the voltage fades to a certain point, they may even do something wierd like flickering or something.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #39
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush View Post
What kit?
I picked-up a dual cold cath kit from compusa for just under $20. The kit came with a switch, but I swapped it for a lighted one from AutoZone.

I wish I had taken some pics of my install, it would be a crazy easy DIY write up, unless it involded hooking into the Dome Light wire and still having it "switchable"; if only i knew more about using relays....
Not really complicated: Just connect the relay output in parallel to the siwtch ourput. The best way to do it is to connect a ground and the dome light 12V to the relay input (do not remember my signage right now. It's been a while since I've last dealt with relays). Then connect the output the the same place where you connect all your transformers together like this:
______Transformer 1
Switch Output__/ ________|
Dome signal-->Relay Input- |--------Transformer 2
|________Transformer 3

When I'm done with finals, I can do a better "graphic" if you want.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #40
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Got one cathode in tonight as a tester, and I've gotta say it looks awesome. The second cathode was damaged in shipment. I'm ordering a few more cathodes and drawing the diagram up tomorrow.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 12-12-2006 at 04:47 AM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote