Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #55
Supa Lao

Drives: '03 Murano SL AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
Just please dont put blue tinted glass bulbs in there! Worse light output, and looks... well.... eh.
hahaha...yea. Especially when it rains. You can't see anything with those
Old 06-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #56
Supa Lao

Drives: '03 Murano SL AWD
update...
I found some e46 ballast/ignitors and some bulbs. Looks like I'll have everything I need to do this retrofit minus finding some shrouds and making the relay harness.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #57
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
yeah, i figured the fact that we have the bulb reflectors already in there would help us out with not needing projectors like most light setups... i'm just trying to decide whether or not go with hids or just get some sylvania silverstars..
Don't waste your time with Sylvania silverstars... If you want a good headlight with out converting to HID, you should consider the Osram silverstar. It's the sister company of Sylvania in the UK but the headlights are quite different from the American counterparts as they are TUV approved. They don't have the lame blue coloration and they are very bright. Way better than any 55w PIAA and way cheaper.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #58
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the tip James!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #59
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsjames
Don't waste your time with Sylvania silverstars... If you want a good headlight with out converting to HID, you should consider the Osram silverstar. It's the sister company of Sylvania in the UK but the headlights are quite different from the American counterparts as they are TUV approved. They don't have the lame blue coloration and they are very bright. Way better than any 55w PIAA and way cheaper.
thanks...i'll look into that.. our headlights are H4 right? sylvannia list them on there site as 9003... so i was confused...

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 AM   #60
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

9003, h4, hb2... all different names for the same thing.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #61
xenoxaos

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Yes. A pair of Denso ballasts can be had for under 200. Philips D2R or D2S bulbs can be had for about 80.

If you want to go all out, go for a D2S and a projector.
Otherwise, if you want to stick with reflector type lighting, go with a D2R so you don't give off glare to oncoming traffic.

Factory HID are pretty much always better than aftermarket designs, but it's still much better than bulbs.

The headlight on a yaris is pretty big and open. I say retrofit it.

Some projects I've done before.
When I get rid of my freakin land rover, and possibly get into a Yaris, it will be one of my first mods.

I told myself after driving HID, that I would never drive a car that didn't have them.

Where can I get/How can I mod my housings to have the LEDs like this. I was looking at seeing how mine would look with just replacing the bulbs with LEDs, but this looks so much better.
xenoxaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #62
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Can someone verify this link to an HID Kit on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...03335321QQrdZ1

They are selling it for 200

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #63
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
Can someone verify this link to an HID Kit on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...03335321QQrdZ1

They are selling it for 200
I believe that price would be for just a low beam H4 kit. H4 High/low kits are much more expensive then regular single kits, and if thats the case, and it is for a high/low at that price, id be careful!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:30 AM   #64
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
i thought hids pulled less power and amperage than stock bulbs...?
look around the net, many people have found out the hard way with "plug and play" HID kits that never mentioned the difference in power draw..yes 55W down to 35W is the "attraction"..but think about the whole "I NEED A BALLAST to RUN HID's" issue...55W->35W doesn't explain everything..remember the triangle?

check honda-tech.com where HIDs are very popular on non-HID equipped cars You will quickly find out about the MANY issues you will have..including EXTRA negative attention from the cops espcially if you're running 6000K+ bulbs (come on, people..4300K is near crystal clear!!).

but, to each his own..i agree that Silverstars will never be "QUITE" as bright as a good HID Xenon...but total light output is not everything, it's about getting that light to the roadsurface that's important and a simple "plug and play" xenon retrofit will not look like "OEM HID kits".

You can spend $300+ on a good HID kit, or $25 on a set of EXTREMELY high end bulbs by THE BIGGEST NAME in Electric bulbs...SYLVANIA.. again, to each his own. but, if i was gonna drop $300+ just on headlights i would still be driving my lexus . Most of us are here because we've already learned that there IS a certain amount of "cost efficiency" that was necessary enough to buy a yaris
You might as well put on $2000 JDM wheels, limited slip differential, Turbo charger, Supercharger (yes, dumb@sses, you can put both on at same time , check old Group B racing for details), NOS, Tein suspension on there..but then you're gonna be in Mitsubishi EVO IX and WRX STi price territory for a Yaris
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #65
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

ack..i've been CORRECTED..they did start making the Sylvanias with a blue film on it !! damn you, Sylvania!! you and your ricer ways!!
I'm looking at a set of the Osrams, or a set of those hi/low Xenons that Chris07LB is raving about. chris, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to electrical, did you have any issues with mounting the ballasts? what size fuse comes stock on the Yaris headlight?

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 07-20-2006 at 02:26 AM.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:32 AM   #66
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

osram:

Sylvania:

I wouldn't state something that I wasn't sure about. TUV standards are much more strict than DOT standards... Meaning something that is manufactured to TUV standards is made with tighter tolerances and better quality materials than something that is DOT approved. Hence European headlight assemblies actually being glass while NA gets shitty plastic units.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #67
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I haven't seen that packaging on the Sylvanias...but that picture does disturb me I'm gonna go buy a few stores this week and verify this. I bought a dual pack of 9006 and there is no blue film.maybe it's a difference between an H and 900_ series bulbs or just a recent change that i wasn't aware of. Sorry i jumped down your throat, now i'm just pissed at Sylvania for jumping on the trendy-blue-but-not-HID bandwagon.
I just found out that they are now selling "lexus" in Japan now...times do change...

i'm gonna have to remember to order those "Osram silverstars" next time i need a few sets. Do you know of a good place that sells 'em?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:54 AM   #68
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

There is a guy that sells them on ebay... I think he is in Texas actually, but I could be wrong. Or just ebay 'em straight from england...
Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #69
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Here is an interesting link on headlight bulbs.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

The best headlight bulbs in his opinion:
-Osram Silver Star (not Silvania)
-Narva Rangepower+50
-Ge Night Hawk
-Philips VisionPlus
-Tungsram Megalight Premium

There is some good information on automotive lights (blue bulbs, extra white, hid, etc) on this website, it looks 99.9% credible in my opinion.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #70
casterqc

The Osram and Philips are avaible on http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ ...free shipping worldwide.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:37 AM   #71
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by casterqc
The Osram and Philips are avaible on http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ ...free shipping worldwide.
just ordered a pair of Osram Silver Stars from there..told me 7-14 days for free shipping to the US, we will see how it goes :)

total price was about 25$
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #72
casterqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
just ordered a pair of Osram Silver Stars from there..

I did the same yesterday