Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
My 2012 Yaris review...

Last night, I test drove the first 2012 3-door Yaris L 5-speed I could find in my area.

The sticker was $15,1XX, he would not back off of $16,3XX. I have tier-1 credit (765 FICO score), and will have a $2,000 (motorcycle) trade and $3,000 cash down. I have already been approved through Toyota Financial Services for way more than I want to spend ($16k on the road).

Before I start, keep in mind my expectations are not BMW-level. I am driving a Geo Metro with no power steering, ESP, ABS, etc. I like simple cars. We all do right? That's why we are on Yaris World.

The outside styling: I always loved the styling of the 2nd-generation Yaris 3-door, with the exception of the front end. A little too cute and feminine for my liking.

The new, angular styling changes all of this. The front end, with the more angular facia...the back end, with it's sharp triangular tail lamps sell the viewer on simple, reliable, and fun-to-drive. It looks vaguely European in styling to my eye. Does it deliver on this fun-to-drive promise?

The interior: Versus the previous Yaris I test drove, with it's ill-fitting interior plastics, and oddly-placed instrument cluster, the new one is a breath of fresh air. I'll just get this out of the way now: I adore the plastic grain on the dash. Yes, it's hard plastic...because it starts at $15k. Go ahead and buy the VW with soft-touch this and soft-touch that all over the place. In 5 years, we will see whose car is still on the road. I won't bet against Toyota's 1NZ-FE.

I was surprised when I sat in the car. I was stunned at the amazing panoramic view outside the windshield and side glass. Visibility was outstanding, rivaled only by Honda's Fit. Blind spots up front were minimal for the B-segment. The windshield also was tall from my view, meaning you don't have to crane your neck to see stop lights any longer like in cars such as my Metro.

Out back, because of the large B-pillars, visibility takes a big hit.

I've read complains about the "plasticy" nature of the new interior. I don't get it. The old Yaris had a razor-thin layer of soft-touch plastic over the dash, but the layout of the interior left me wanting. I did love all the glove boxes, however!

The overall interior impression is light and airy. It also looks and feels sporty, especially in the Magnetic Grey metallic car I sampled. We've come a long way from penalty boxes like the Festiva and Metro!

In the driver's seat, you are greeted with a meaty, 3-spoke steering wheel. It gives an overall sporty impression, proving economy doesn't have to be boring.

A 6500 RPM tach and speedometer sit front and center, and the gauges are all very well laid out and legible. At night, they glow an orange-red.

All of the knobs on the A/C and stereo system are very intuitive and easy-to-use.

The test drive: The clutch travel is longer and more firm than I like (17 year old Geo Metro), and the gearbox is a bit notchy (probably because it is brand new). But, at the same time, it offers no false neutrals that I could determine from the test drive.

The steering is electronically-assisted, and a little heavier than I am used to (no power steering, natch). However, during the drive, I was pleasantly surprised that the steering wheel tilts so I can better view the instruments. Very nice, Toyota.

I am used to fast cars, as I've had my share. However, compared to the Metro, the Yaris is a rocket-ship. 0-60 is under 10 seconds, but requires a bit of revving and gearbox rowing to get at highway speed.

Although glass-smooth overall, the engine has very minor vibration near 6000 RPM before the next upshift.

I did a brake test in a safe area, and they lock up a bit easily, likely due to the electronic nannies that all new cars are ordered to have. I am used to a simple, mechanical system, that progressively applies pressure, not an electronic one that bites hard ASAP. That said, time for me to get into the 21st Century, eh?

What shocked me the most? While driving the car, and parked at a stop light at idle...I could not hear the engine! The A/C and stereo were off, and I could not only not hear the engine...I could not even feel it running!

Small cars should not be this refined!

Conclusion: I know as a newb, I will get a brow-beating for typing this, but, I really like the new Yaris 3-door. I even like the interior.

For $15,1XX, the base Yaris offers a lot of content for your hard-earned dollars. A USB port in the glove box (away from passersby who might want to steal your MP3 player),a tilting steering wheel, and CD player, all standard even on the base.

I thought the Fiesta and Mazda 2 were fantastic...but I am honestly blown away by this car. The handling, acceleration, interior and exterior styling, and price (at sticker, at least) offer outstanding value in the B-segment.

I was a doubter of this car, but now, having driven it, even against the competition, my faith in Toyota has been restored. Not every car can be an M3 or Z06, but for what this car is, at this price...I would not be ashamed to own this little hatch.

I hope to join the ranks of fellow Yaris owners soon with my new '12 3-door L...here's hoping. In a few months, anyway.

Some questions, if I may: What is it like dealing with TFS?

Also, I know the 2012s are new, but $16,300 is a total ripoff, don't you all think? I mean, $1,200 OVER sticker? It has no alloy wheels, window tint, etc.

Finally: there is a set of 15 inch 10-spoke aluminum alloys I'm only seeing on the 5-doors...the dealer told me they are only installed at the port, and cannot be ordered. Surely these Toyota-badged wheels can be ordered, please? I love these 10-spooke wheels so much. I don't have a picture, but they look almost like the ones on the last-gen Yaris as an accessory.

Anyone know the wheels I am talking about?

I love these forums! A pleasure to meet you all!

Last edited by CanIHazYarisHatch?; 11-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote