Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I just bought a 2nd (additional) Yaris yesterday (8/12/14) - a new 2014

I traveled to Florida to be able to get a 5-speed manual + the color I wanted (and the best deal ). Details = post #71 on Kal-El's 'Yaris sales hit a new low' thread.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
YEA!

I am glad you posted this, I had been following that post but missed the good news somehow

Awesome! You deserve it!

Be safe driving back to Texas & I am reading but am I missing ...

Is it a 3 Door ???

Your 'old' Yaris is a Coupe I know... (where's the suspense smile?)

OK, I see now, it's a COUPE!

Last edited by yougojay; 08-14-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: It's a COUPE!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Glad you're gonna be around for another 300,000 miles, nook. Congrats on your new car, dude!
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
I am glad you posted this, I had been following that post but missed the good news somehow

Awesome! You deserve it!

Be safe driving back to Texas & I am reading but am I missing ...

Is it a 3 Door ???

Your 'old' Yaris is a Coupe I know... (where's the suspense smile?)

OK, I see now, it's a COUPE!
Thanks! Yeah, I finished that post quite late at a new Mickey D's in the eastern part of Dunedin (away from the water)...lobby open til at least midnight... before heading back to my hotel. I had just driven up Gulf Blvd from the Pass-A-Grille neighborhood in St. Pete's Beach all the way up to Clearwater Beach. I had only driven about 95 miles, but I wanted to get my first 'Fill up'...where.I'll start 'calculating' (my log book)...at the station closest to Pass-a-Grille. I just love that area. YW member Jambo101 posted (on another forum...not YW) a picture (don't know if he found it, or took the picture) taken from the rooftop (3rd floor, 4th floor?) of the Hurricane Restaurant in Pass-a-Grille. The photo = looking up the beach extending all the way to Clearwater Beach. Beautiful photo. I saw that photo in 2012 and saved it. It is more like I remember that area when I was last there in 2012. There have long been some high-rises in some of the southern parts of that sweep of beach and to the far north in Clearwater Beach...but the area in between was largely unspoiled...mostly modest SFRs, and some very low-rise condos. Yesterday I noticed in 'that middle' (except for Bellaire Beach) = many developers must have paid a bit over market to convince locals to sell until they had parcels large enough for their projects. I imagine the developers spread some gold to the cities (the planting and the bike path does look better). Those cities in the middle of that stretch, I'd imagine, might have struggled a bit in the past re a smallish retail tax base. Increased development re these new projects will help with that, but the best part about that area was that it had charm...unlike places with canyons of high rises...Panama City, FL and Orange Beach, AL come to mind. I'm glad I spent time in this middle area before this recent spat of development. I don't think this can happen to Pass-a-Grille...I think that is an area that has some sort of historic preservation status. I continued my drive into Dunedin (near the water). A little bit of this development has crept into Dunedin, but there appears to be a cap on height (4 stories). I hope Dunedin retains the charm that it still has.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Glad you're gonna be around for another 300,000 miles, nook. Congrats on your new car, dude!
Thanks! At the beginning of 2014 I had 4 goals re my blue Yaris:

1. To 'take it' to MT and ID (the only 2 states in the 'lower 48' my blue Yaris hadn't made it to).

2. To 'take it' to Blaine, WA and to Cape Flattery, WA....completing the '4th corner'. I wanted to be the first person to drive to all of the 'lower 48' in a Yaris. In 2010, I found a comment post on Yahoo! Autos that revealed that someone else had already done that over 6 trips during the first 75,000 miles on their Yaris. I decided to add going as far as someone (other than a representative of the government ) can DRIVE to the 4 corners of the U.S. (looking at the U.S. on a flat map page). I'd already driven to Key West (in 2007) and all along the A1A on the east coast of Florida...so I could check off the 'Florida corner'. I drove to the parking lot for Border Field State Park (bordered on 2 sides by Mexico and the Pacific Ocean) in Late 2010. This is a few miles west of the San Ysidro border station that is part of the '4 corners tour for motorcycle enthusiasts' (San Ysidro, CA.....Blaine, WA.....Madawaska, ME.....and Key West, FL). So, I could then check off the 'California corner'. I drove to Lubec, ME in 2009 and Madawaska, ME in 2013, so I could then check off the 'Maine corner'.....and I made it to Blaine, WA and Cape Flattery, WA in June of 2014, completing the 'Washington corner'.

3. I wanted to get to 292,320 miles on my blue Yaris by October 7th, 2014

4. I wanted to get to 300,000 miles on my blue Yaris by October 7th, 2014

I completed the first 3, but won't hit the last one. Hopefully I'll get to 300,000 miles on the blue one before it 'conks out' .
Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Oh, you'll get to 300,000 miles not problem. Really still amazes me how many places (& States) you've been to with your 'older' Yaris -
I swear - I am not going to worry about putting miles on my 2013 - It's all going to be local miles only, anyways...Work is 10.8 miles round-trip. NO TRAFFIC AT ALL, EVER! 45 & 55 MPH speed limit the whole way. It's awesome living here...roads are great and NO stop & go
Car always gets up to full operating temp. when it gets driven (which is always good)
SO Nook - You like the new dash set up in the 3rd gen's?
It's pretty wide looking across the dash when you are in the drivers seat. Doesn't seem like you are in a small car.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
SO Nook - You like the new dash set up in the 3rd gen's?
It's pretty wide looking across the dash when you are in the drivers seat. Doesn't seem like you are in a small car.
Yeah, I do. Driving both is going to be interesting. For the first day, my eyes 'went to the center AC/Heat vents' because that is the location of the Speedometer, etc. on the 2nd Gen. I've also reached out, multiple times, with a beverage in my left hand to put it in front of the left AC/Heat vent . My brain must sense 'fitment into a holder or not', as I haven't yet let go of a beverage during such futile reaches into thin air. I really like the front of the center console on the 3rd Gen, and the clearance it has under the dash. My new Yaris did come with a 1 USB 12v plug, but I ended up buying a 2 USB 12v plug at Wal-Mart for $12 something plus tax. I can now put a beverage in the right front cup holder, put a phone in the left cup holder, and another phone in the space behind those two holders. I use those really thin retractable USB cables with each phone...so I can now charge two phones at once with no fuss, plus hold a beverage, all without worrying about any of that falling out of where it has been placed.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ I've also noticed that the cup holder directly behind the 'parking brake hinge' on the 3rd Gen is a bit smaller than the two cup holders forward from the shifter. It is better suited for coffee and the ones forward from the shifter are better suited for larger convenience store/fast food diet soda cups.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
What!?! Im shocked shocked youve seen reason to buy a new Yaris with only ~200k on your present one!

JUST KIDDING!

We motorcyclists do "fly and rides" to get exactly the bike we want and I see no reason car buyers cant to the same thing if it comes down to it. Especially getting that deal! I flew from Philly to Houston to get my 2004 Honda ST1300 with less than 3000 miles on it for $6995. The local dealer had the exact same bike with 30,000 miles on it for $7000. so I saved five bucks!

I wish you many miles of safe motoring!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
with only ~200k on your present one!
Ahem . Only 6,231 miles away from 300,000 miles .

Quote:
JUST KIDDING!

We motorcyclists do "fly and rides" to get exactly the bike we want and I see no reason car buyers cant to the same thing if it comes down to it. Especially getting that deal! I flew from Philly to Houston to get my 2004 Honda ST1300 with less than 3000 miles on it for $6995. The local dealer had the exact same bike with 30,000 miles on it for $7000. so I saved five bucks!

I wish you many miles of safe motoring!
Thanks. I talked to several dealers in Texas about when the 2015 Yaris would be available. The consensus seemed to be November. I plan to head to California before that to move stuff I have in storage to a cheaper storage space, and to start to go through all the stuff again (lots of trips to the dump!) and make arrangements to bring all of the remainder to Texas in January. I want to make that trip (do that hauling) in a new car, and I don't want to potentially wait until November to start that process. Additionally.....I didn't want to miss out on the hand crank windows ! (not available on the 2015 )
Old 08-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yeah, I do. Driving both is going to be interesting. For the first day, my eyes 'went to the center AC/Heat vents' because that is the location of the Speedometer, etc. on the 2nd Gen. I've also reached out, multiple times, with a beverage in my left hand to put it in front of the left AC/Heat vent . My brain must sense 'fitment into a holder or not', as I haven't yet let go of a beverage during such futile reaches into thin air. I really like the front of the center console on the 3rd Gen, and the clearance it has under the dash. My new Yaris did come with a 1 USB 12v plug, but I ended up buying a 2 USB 12v plug at Wal-Mart for $12 something plus tax. I can now put a beverage in the right front cup holder, put a phone in the left cup holder, and another phone in the space behind those two holders. I use those really thin retractable USB cables with each phone...so I can now charge two phones at once with no fuss, plus hold a beverage, all without worrying about any of that falling out of where it has been placed.
I don't have 2nd gen. experience (driving one all the time) but I knew this would be interesting for you. (or STRANGE, more like it ) It's basically the same car (size & feel) but totally rearranged on the inside! It's like coming home in the dark and having all the furniture rearranged, lol -
I use the USB hook-up for the iPod in the glove box, but that's about all tech. wise. Charge the phone upstairs when it needs it (once a month, LOL) I just turn it off & leave it in the glove box. We've always had a land-line.
I LOVE sitting HIGH in this car. I mostly drive the Yaris, when I'm driving the other car I do find myself going for a window crank instead of the PW switch on the console now and then
I just need to find a few Toyota 5.0 emblems for the front fender space, or maybe just one for the rear - that would freak a few teenagers out
Old 08-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I don't have 2nd gen. experience (driving one all the time) but I knew this would be interesting for you. (or STRANGE, more like it ) It's basically the same car (size & feel) but totally rearranged on the inside! It's like coming home in the dark and having all the furniture rearranged, lol -
Exactly

Quote:
I use the USB hook-up for the iPod in the glove box, but that's about all tech. wise.
What is the capacity of your iPod? I'm just curious if the head unit works well with the 'big daddy' iPod (160 GB?) I don't have one.

Quote:
Charge the phone upstairs when it needs it (once a month, LOL) I just turn it off & leave it in the glove box.
Is it an iPhone that holds a charge that long?

Quote:
I LOVE sitting HIGH in this car.
The vantage point is pretty high, but I think it's lower than the 2nd Gen. I remember, in the past, my Mustang, my Acura, and my Swift were a lot lower.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Exactly

What is the capacity of your iPod? I'm just curious if the head unit works well with the 'big daddy' iPod (160 GB?) I don't have one.

Is it an iPhone that holds a charge that long?

The vantage point is pretty high, but I think it's lower than the 2nd Gen. I remember, in the past, my Mustang, my Acura, and my Swift were a lot lower.
I have an 8 GB iPod Nano (forget the generation) that I WON at our Christmas Party in 2007 - It's the nearly square Nano that has a good-sized screen - sheesh, holds MORE than enough tunes! It is nice, it was a special edition red one.

There is no reason any sized iPod would not work in this car. The classic iPod (160GB or however much storage it has now) just holds more tunes, hooks up the same way.

We've had our little flip phone cell for 10 years or more (I believe) It's a Motorola with a Verizon LOGO on each side. For cry Pete's I had to run down to the garage to see what brand it is...
You can see how much that tech piece means to me...
It a phone for quick conversation or emergency - I turn it on when I go out (usually for an hour) & turn it off when I am driving home. It only uses 'juice' when you talk on it
Old 08-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I have an 8 GB iPod Nano (forget the generation) that I WON at our Christmas Party in 2007 - It's the nearly square Nano that has a good-sized screen - sheesh, holds MORE than enough tunes! It is nice, it was a special edition red one.

There is no reason any sized iPod would not work in this car. The classic iPod (160GB or however much storage it has now) just holds more tunes, hooks up the same way.

We've had our little flip phone cell for 10 years or more (I believe) It's a Motorola with a Verizon LOGO on each side. For cry Pete's I had to run down to the garage to see what brand it is...
You can see how much that tech piece means to me...
It a phone for quick conversation or emergency - I turn it on when I go out (usually for an hour) & turn it off when I am driving home. It only uses 'juice' when you talk on it
Thanks. Some USB powered hard drives (generally with files stored in FAT32 or NTFS, not the HFS+ that Apple uses) balk when connected to some car head units if the drive's total capacity is above a certain size. I remember this being discussed a year + ago on another thread, but iPod capacity wasn't discussed on that thread. I'm glad, though, that you mentioned that an iPod works from that location. I definitely plan to do the same thing. I've put off buying an iPod until I move all my music to Texas, hoping the maximum capacity would increase. I'll start a thread and see if any members have hooked up the 160 GB iPod, and if so if any issues have arisen.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
My goal is to reach 300,000 miles for my Yaris. Hope I make it. I don't drive nearly as much as nook, but if I can get 10-15 years outta my Yaris, I'll be very happy.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Thanks. Some USB powered hard drives (generally with files stored in FAT32 or NTFS, not the HFS+ that Apple uses) balk when connected to some car head units if the drive's total capacity is above a certain size. I remember this being discussed a year + ago on another thread, but iPod capacity wasn't discussed on that thread. I'm glad, though, that you mentioned that an iPod works from that location. I definitely plan to do the same thing. I've put off buying an iPod until I move all my music to Texas, hoping the maximum capacity would increase. I'll start a thread and see if any members have hooked up the 160 GB iPod, and if so if any issues have arisen.
YES, my iPod hooks up to the USB port in the glove box & works perfectly. It has since Day 1. You can flip through the songs using the little 'arrow knob' on the stereo. The performer/band/singer/group & song name comes up on the little screen. It's really pretty cool. I know I speak in very layman terms, but I know enough to be dangerous in many situation! I worked in Records Management for years, the song information that I included in my iTunes is nothing short of amazing!

I will look for an iPod thread - be interesting to see if anyone out there in Yar Yar Land has had problems with the bigger iPod units
Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
My goal is to reach 300,000 miles for my Yaris. Hope I make it. I don't drive nearly as much as nook, but if I can get 10-15 years outta my Yaris, I'll be very happy.....
Probably won't be any trouble doing that from what we've seen/heard reading here. I'll be lucky to have 40,000 miles on mine in 10 years!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The number of ECHOs I still see on the road is a positive indicator.