Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
Fuel efficiency mods

I am currently averaging around 30mpg in the city with my 2012 se and managed 45mpg on the highway Since this car will never be fast I want to mod it for mpg Here are my ideas, feel free to comment.
  1. More psi in tires
  2. Extending air dam in front of front tires
  3. adding front air dam, either garden edging or garage door seal
  4. adding underbody panels to reduce air drag on the carriage
  5. considering a more free flowing exhaust but I want it to be as quiet as it is now
  6. vortex generators on roof?
  7. more free flowing air filter
  8. thinking about trying HHO even if just to improve emissions and keeping engine clean
  9. switching to 5w-20 in the engine and full synthetic in the gear box
  10. Replacing coolant for distilled water and water wetter
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Those are good ideas.

Also think about lowering it too, the lower the car, the less air gets under it. Lightweight wheels, pulleys, and flywheel will also help gas mileage.

Get a short ram intake before you get an exhaust. I have a K&N and it helped get a couple mpg's as long as it is not freezing out.

Blocking off all of the intakes/etc in the front as well as an air damn will help, just make some of them easily removable so you can adjust for hot days.

A good place to look for other ideas is ecomodder. Just understand they are hyper sensitive. I was perma banned after asking a few questions and positively commenting on some threads.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
Yikes! I have an account on ecomodder too, but fortunately I've never made a post.

Regarding aerodynamics mods, I can't tell exactly how much mileage I did gain for each mod
because they were all being put on gradually one by one.

However, my best record after mod is 16.8 km/L (39.5 MPG); compared to 14.5 km/L (34.1 MPG) unmodded. 16% gain!
[Highway driving, 100-120 km/h (62-75 MPH)]

Underbody paneling. I glued 10mm-thick insulation foam sheets to the underside.
I also attached corroplast panels ahead of rear suspensions.
The car is now substantially quieter during highway drives.
It also coasts/glides very well. (my butt-dyno says 20% increase in distance)

Tail light vortex generators. I got this idea from newer Toyota models.
The car seems a bit more stable at high speeds.

I once installed (ghetto) roof vortex generators but ended up took them off, as they were too obvious.
No effect on fuel economy, but stability on highway has been improved noticeably.
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Those are good ideas.

Also think about lowering it too, the lower the car, the less air gets under it. Lightweight wheels, pulleys, and flywheel will also help gas mileage.

Get a short ram intake before you get an exhaust. I have a K&N and it helped get a couple mpg's as long as it is not freezing out.

Blocking off all of the intakes/etc in the front as well as an air damn will help, just make some of them easily removable so you can adjust for hot days.

A good place to look for other ideas is ecomodder. Just understand they are hyper sensitive. I was perma banned after asking a few questions and positively commenting on some threads.
I too would recommend a new air filter, lowering springs, crank pulley and etc.
Perhaps also consider a scangauge, ultragauge or equivalent to monitor your fuel consumption.

With my few mods I average about 40mpg city, according to the Torque app.

Last edited by phaznet; 11-21-2014 at 09:16 AM.
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Caramanos2000

Thanks for the tips, are those vortex generators on the mirrors? Also I thought about raising the hood with spacers to deflect air over the whipers, any thoughts? I do currently have an ultragauge. I considered a crank damper but im unsure of the effects.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
Corsair

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Ive briefly checked the forum for the one ecomod I don't see. Fuel efficient tires. Are they a hoax? Do they work, I need tires for mine now i'm thinking of trying some. Just R and D you know.
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Tires made for fuel economy generally just have a harder compound rubber to lower rolling resistance. the downside is traction...... in wet or snowy times they will slide easier. Not for me thanks. too many other areas effect mileage more to waste money on them. driving style, mechanical condition and pressure make up more fuel mileage more than tire compound.
Basically, dont waste your time or money on them. We have people in here using more sport compound tires getting 40 plus mpg. I'm using Hankook Optimo H727 because of treadwear and pricing and get 42 plus on the highway and get around fine in snow(up to about 4-5 inches) or rain. I used to keep them at 40 psi but have put them down to 35 cause I'm 60 yrs and getting to be a softy,lol. mpg went down by 1-2 when I did this, but I drive a work truck so my car only goes less than 50 miles a week now days.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Tires made for fuel economy generally just have a harder compound rubber to lower rolling resistance. the downside is traction...... in wet or snowy times they will slide easier. Not for me thanks. too many other areas effect mileage more to waste money on them. driving style, mechanical condition and pressure make up more fuel mileage more than tire compound.
Basically, dont waste your time or money on them. We have people in here using more sport compound tires getting 40 plus mpg. I'm using Hankook Optimo H727 because of treadwear and pricing and get 42 plus on the highway and get around fine in snow(up to about 4-5 inches) or rain. I used to keep them at 40 psi but have put them down to 35 cause I'm 60 yrs and getting to be a softy,lol. mpg went down by 1-2 when I did this, but I drive a work truck so my car only goes less than 50 miles a week now days.

Thank You very much. I always had a hunch that the "fuel efficient" tires were like that. I will be looking at some General Altimax instead I believe, That was a great expaination Im glad I asked.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I think better MPG is more of a factor of how you drive than how the car is modified...
Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Corsair

I do too. It rarely sees anything over 60. I get 38mpg 50/50. 44 hwy.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I think better MPG is more of a factor of how you drive than how the car is modified...
Up to a point, but you can absolutely modify a car to get better gas mileage. To think otherwise is to say the engineers are wasting time putting cars into wind tunnels.

And low rolling resistant tires should absolutely get better gas mileage. As was said, less friction means better gas mileage. Whether you think that is worth it for what they cost is another story.

Tires can have a massive effect on fuel economy, my new tires were hitting 5mpg more than the worn tires I took off.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Up to a point, but you can absolutely modify a car to get better gas mileage. To think otherwise is to say the engineers are wasting time putting cars into wind tunnels.

And low rolling resistant tires should absolutely get better gas mileage. As was said, less friction means better gas mileage. Whether you think that is worth it for what they cost is another story.

Tires can have a massive effect on fuel economy, my new tires were hitting 5mpg more than the worn tires I took off.
Interesting.... I'm getting some new tires tomorrow, can't wait to see if mine will get better as well.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Where did you buy the vortex generators from?

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e or my awesome Xperia Z1 C6903 using Tapatalk.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 AM   #14
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
LRR tires aren't worth the extra $$ up front, IMHO. Cheapies for me and I'll jack the pressure up to sidewall max, thanks.

Not much else in terms of mods which are worthwhile. You can build a belly pan for aero or a kammback, the latter doesn't appeal and the former is labour-intensive. Warm-air intakes decrease performance in exchange for a little FE boost. I do use a grille block in winter though, it's nice to maintain thermostat-open temps even when the ambient is under the freezing point.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Caramanos2000

I hadnt checked my tire pressure since I bought the car, it was 22 psi all around I bumped it to 42psi all around so im hoping to see a difference.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
I'll toss this in the mix: mods < driver in terms of fuel efficiency.

As to the list at the top of this page...aero mods are decently effective and full synthetics help. A freer flowing air filter/exhaust, not really, but if you can direct warmer, less sense air into the intake that can pay benefits. Full synthetics are a good mod as well.

HHO lives in the land of the unicorns. Not very effective.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Caramanos2000

Spacers are here