Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
beebosaur

Drives: 2011 Super White 5 door hatch
Just installed an exhaust... need some help.

OKay, so I cannot stress enough how new i am to all this car mod stuff. my friend got me an apexi world sport exhaust for my birthday and i had another friend help me install it. after we installed it everything looked and sounded great with one exception. the apexi is much larger than the stock exhaust and sometimes while i'm driving it shakes enough that it starts hitting the bottom of my bumper or something under my car. my friend told me i'd need to get new exhaust hangers but i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be looking for when shopping for exhaust hangers. any help would be awesome. thanks!
beebosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Its just hitting the bumper, some of the exhausts made for the Yaris do that! Mine rattles every now and then..... The best thing to do is get longer rubber hangers it at an auto parts store.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Yeah, you need longer exhaust hangers.

My friend who had a Yaris did a lot of modding on his and he had an aftermarket exhaust. He said if you want to put an aftermarket exhaust on your Yaris, get longer hangers.
Just look for them at any auto parts store (Autozone, Advance auto parts, ect.) They will look like a round rubber thing with 2 holes in them, should be pretty inexpensive too.

It should look like this but longer then your stock one.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
so why wasn't it installed with enough proper clearance to begin with?

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Check to see if your hangers have more than one hole to use. You may have used the wrong ones and don't need to buy anything.

If you get aftermarket hangers, I like the urethane ones from Cobb and other companies.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Another method is drive it till the bumper melts to the crispy crunchy and then with a pair of pliers remove the bad parts and then dremel the removed area to mimic the exhaust......

Just kidding.....the stock rubber hangers holding the new canister are too short,most any parts store ie Autozone....have them in assorted lengths,most times in the back and not on sales floor,jsut ask them at the counter.

Use some lube like WD 40 and spray hanger and slip the old on off and then new one on,and canister will hang a little lower to clear the bumper.

Also check your connection to the midpipe and make sure it is lined up good,mine was a pain to get to line up,dont think it ever has till I got the Nitto midpipe.....now it is sealed and straight and no clunking on the frame.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
beebosaur

Drives: 2011 Super White 5 door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Check to see if your hangers have more than one hole to use. You may have used the wrong ones and don't need to buy anything.

If you get aftermarket hangers, I like the urethane ones from Cobb and other companies.
they're the stock hangers, i hung them back the same way i took them off. are cobb hangers universal? i went to their site and i don't see any for toyota.

thanks for the help guys!
beebosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
exhaust hangers are universal.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote