Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Yaris_Fan

Drives: Liftback Auto
Any news on 2013 Yaris (non-hybrid) models yet?

direct fuel injection/CVT in the future?
Yaris_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
since the 2012 is a much different car, i doubt toyota will do anything to them for a while.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Turbo diesel would be cool,sun roof,5 or 6 spd.,at.,trans.,different tailights
rear disc brakes (all models)...
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
12 yaris

CONVERTIBLE!!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
CONVERTIBLE!!!!!
i actually think that would look pretty damn cool !
Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
IllQueens

Drives: 3rd Gen Lude
Send a message via AIM to IllQueens
Upgrade Engine to 2ZZ-GE 1.8 VVTL-i but would be happy with 1ZZ-FE and Entune...
IllQueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
12 yaris

There might be a small increase in price for 2013....
The iq will increase 120.00.....
Old 07-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Volcano
Experienced Yaris Owner

Drives: Yaris 2013 1.33 Ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
CONVERTIBLE!!!!!
Afraid there won't be such a thing. How about adding an aftermarket canvas top like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fiymguJc0I

Currently considering.
Volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
12 yaris

installed one of these in a van a long time ago...
Old 07-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano View Post
Afraid there won't be such a thing. How about adding an aftermarket canvas top like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fiymguJc0I

Currently considering.
I wonder, to what extent KPL/MPG would be reduced with such an installation on a Yaris?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ I stopped at the store after making the above post and the September 2012 issue of Motor Trend was sitting on a display shelf. This issue lists each new car and has a little blurb about each car. I glanced at the issue and read the blurb on the 2013 Yaris. The only two items mentioned were the sedan being gone (so I imagine no more fleet availability for the sedan) and the 'Bluetooth hands free phone/streaming, HD Radio etc' stereo being standard for all models. I looked on the Toyota USA website and this stereo is already standard on the LE and the SE, so the L would then get this as standard for 2013. Tooter is probably right about the hand crank windows being gone for 2013, but I hope not.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
2012YarisSE
Gray Metalic

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ I stopped at the store after making the above post and the September 2012 issue of Motor Trend was sitting on a display shelf. This issue lists each new car and has a little blurb about each car. I glanced at the issue and read the blurb on the 2013 Yaris. The only two items mentioned were the sedan being gone (so I imagine no more fleet availability for the sedan) and the 'Bluetooth hands free phone/streaming, HD Radio etc' stereo being standard for all models. I looked on the Toyota USA website and this stereo is already standard on the LE and the SE, so the L would then get this as standard for 2013. Tooter is probably right about the hand crank windows being gone for 2013, but I hope not.
Why you like cranking those windows up and down?I rented a 2012 Yaris base L with crank windows for a trip and lost some skin on my knuckles cranking those windows.
2012YarisSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012YarisSE View Post
Why you like cranking those windows up and down?I rented a 2012 Yaris base L with crank windows for a trip and lost some skin on my knuckles cranking those windows.
A fairly wide range of reasons.

1. It is one more thing to go wrong. I've encountered a fair number of people in my life who have had the up/down on one or all of their power windows give out and and have had to pay to have a repair performed. I have never encountered anyone who has had the track on a manual window completely fail (although I'm sure there have been some...especially on much older cars). I have only had a manual crank window go off track once in one of my cars and I was able to pop off the door panel and fix it myself.

2. Control. Let's say (for argument's sake) I park my car in a narrow access uphill spot on a hot day (where I can't keep the door open) and I go to a restaurant for a meal. I return (after the restaurant in this bucolic area has closed---lets say it is like Le Peep and closes at 2pm), and my car won't start (it won't even turn over)...and, given the physical parameters of the situation, I can't compression start my car. While I'm waiting for AAA I have to suffer the heat build up in my car because I can't roll the window down. I like the likelihood of not being able to start my car and not being able to lower the windows to be as close to zero as possible.

3. 'Piggyness'. My friends growing up loved pre 'auto everything' Porsches and BMWs and took that old BMW adage that 'Performance is the only thing that makes an expensive car worth the money' to heart. They looked at cars with power windows/locks/seats etc. as 'luxury pig cars' (especially Lincolns and Cadillacs) with unnecessary equipment.

4. Thrift. If power windows are a stand alone option (or grouped with other things I don't want) I don't want to pay for things I don't want.

5. Sentiment. When my little cousin (whom I love like a daughter) was in the very EARLY stages of her 'Kids will say and do the darndest things' years (Ages '2 1/2 to 3 until 7) she used to love to (along with opening and closing all the glove boxes/compartments/dash cup holders etc.---hence the moniker 'nookandcrannycar') roll the windows up and down (when parked in a lot with plenty of room....and her mother or I in the driver's seat). In the early evening after her first day of Kindergarten I was sitting outside her house in the driver's seat of my Yaris. She was sitting in my lap, with sunglasses on and my (or her mother's) powered off cell phone against her ear, and had her foot resting on the Yaris temperature dial. Except for the foot part, she was modeling her mother. I thought she might bend the seating of the temperature dial with the weight she was putting on it, but she seemed so comfortable I didn't want to tell her to move her foot. The mom in a neighbor family came out of her house to roll their now empty trash can back to the side of their house. My car was parked on the neighbor's side of the street and facing against traffic. The neighbor saw us and smiled. She asked how the the first day of Kindergarten had gone (her kids had had the same teacher). I pointed to the top of my cousin's head and said "she's pretending to call her teacher". The neighbor laughed and then continued back to her house with the trash can. The Subaru 'Baby Driver' commercial is my favorite commercial and every time I see it I think of that day. The temperature dial on the dash of my Yaris has been crooked since that day and when I notice it I smile.

..... there are probably other reasons, but these are the main ones. I notice that when I roll the window, I grab the crank at an angle and with the tips of my fingers...so I don't have the knuckle issue you do. I have big hands and have from a fairly young age (I'm 6' 3" and I was 6' when I was 13), so maybe I just got used to always rolling car windows up and down that way.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

I just plugged in the search "will the 2013 Toyota Yaris have hand crank windows" into the DuckDuckGo search engine. One of the hits that came up was an article entitled: Why It Is Immoral for Automakers To Sell Cars With Crank Windows. This terrible (IMHO) article is from 2009. I find the COMMENTS FAR MORE INTERESTING than the article. A fair number of wise commenters dismantle this article and bring up valid, helpful advantages of having hand crank windows that I'd never thought of (and I've thought about quite a few different advantages).
Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Jamus

Drives: '12 3dr Yaris L
I love my hand cranks. I also love how my 2012 L has crank windows but power locks. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
One of the things I love about my Yaris ... is that I don't have to roll up and down them damn windows anymore. I have never had a car before that has had power anything. My Tercel, Civic and Accord sure never had ANY fun power toys so I am happy now.

So to me ... I am loving all the power toys (love the power locks too) that my Yaris has. As I bought the car used .. I really didn't have to pay for the toys. I think that they were just those nice to have items. Am I worried ... no, it is a Toyota.

Besides as far as I know CTScott (and he is the Yaris god after all) is adding power toys to his latest Yaris, so if they are reliable enough for him .. then they are reliable enough for me.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
One of the things I love about my Yaris ... is that I don't have to roll up and down them damn windows anymore. I have never had a car before that has had power anything. My Tercel, Civic and Accord sure never had ANY fun power toys so I am happy now.

So to me ... I am loving all the power toys (love the power locks too) that my Yaris has. As I bought the car used .. I really didn't have to pay for the toys. I think that they were just those nice to have items. Am I worried ... no, it is a Toyota.

Besides as far as I know CTScott (and he is the Yaris god after all) is adding power toys to his latest Yaris, so if they are reliable enough for him .. then they are reliable enough for me.
I agree with you re the power locks, but not the windows. One of the comments (same webpage) about the 2009 article I mentioned above put forward a scenario where the battery might get crushed in an accident. What if you have the windows up all the way and that happens? Could make for a very dangerous scenario. Even if damage in an accident extended to the driver door, if you could roll down the window even a bit, you'd likely have a better chance of breaking the window to get out. This 'power to the windows cut off in an accident scenario' isn't part of a reliability equation, so it doesn't matter that our cars are reliable Toyotas.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
I love my hand cranks. I also love how my 2012 L has crank windows but power locks. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
I agree, except one of the things I don't like about the 2012 (even the L) is that you can't open the hatch with a traditional key.