Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
jakobmagnusson

Drives: Yaris 5d, Jolt Yellow
Running battery cable from engine room

Hi!
My first post. It's a really great forum, I got lot's of use of different descriptions and discussions. I've got a 1.4 diesel Yaris 2010 (or if it should be counted as 2009, as it was manufactures October 2009)

I'm installing a sub woofer/amp + extra amp which requires direct power feeding from the battery. I will have the gear under the front seats.

But, I can't find a way through the wall towards the engine (what's the proper English term? In Swedish we call it the "torpedo wall" in direct translation to English..)

I looked at this very good instruction: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=running
But my model is different I cant find any hole to use for my cabling...

Any suggestions on how to run this (a bit thick) power cable is highly appreciated.

Regards
Jakob
Stockholm, Sweden
jakobmagnusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
My power wires run through the firewall (torpedo wall) just above where the hood latch wire passes through the firewall. I had to drill a hole and the easiest way to make the hole was from the wheel well. I removed tire, the inner fender well parts, drilled a 3/4-inch (19mm) hole (all I had was 3/4-inch grommets) and it only took about 20-minutes. Not a difficult job.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
On the 08 there is a grommet behind the battery or there is another grommet above the ecu.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Try your best to find the grommet up behind the ECU, just to the left of it while standing in front of the hood. From there, it is as simple as cutting a hole in the cabin carpentry and guiding your cable straight down to the front seats. Cut a hole in the grommet and use it to seal the hole again, its extremely simple once you figure it out.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
jakobmagnusson

Drives: Yaris 5d, Jolt Yellow
Hi,
Thanks for suggestions. I've been travelling so not been able to respond until now...
RANGER SVO (or anyone..): I think I understand how to drill a hole from the weel well. Which side is preferrred? How to remove the fender well parts, some have the "button" to be pulled out, others have a different look.

POORSHA / swidd (or anyone): I've really tried to find the grommets suggested, but not found any. I insert two pictures of the engine space behind the battery and the ECU (??) (to the left in the engine room, standing in front of the car). Could someone please indicate where I should look furhter??

Maybe my Yaris is differnt? Eurpean version with 1.5 diesel, manufactured end 2009?

Best regards,
Jakob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5503-small.jpg (110.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5504-small.jpg (93.0 KB, 84 views)
jakobmagnusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Yes, the clips have a center that pulls out and the clip can be removed. There are also two or three (dont remember) phillips screws. They were on the splash guards (I'll double check when my wife brings the car back)Take your time. Those panels come off easily and they go back on just as easy.

I drilled from the wheel well side, there simply was no way (for me) to drill from the inside of the car. Recall, that I grilled a 3/4-inch hole because I had grommets that size.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote