Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
49erRider

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Rear Wiper Motor

Well after a 15 hour drive we came into a little problem.

I had a bike rack on the hatch of the 08 Yaris and a friend accidentally hit the rear wiper. I didn't even notice it until a couple hours later where the blade was stuck halfway through its cycle.

Anyways 12 hours later or so I pull off the bike rack and now nothing for the rear wiper. Turn the knob and no response what so ever. I pulled the arm off and positioned it out of the way.

Think the motor is toast or any other ideas? If it is the motor how do I go about getting at it.

Thanks guys!
49erRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'd start by checking the fuses first. Seems like the fuse should go before the motor burns itself out. Take a look at the repair manuals posted elsewhere in the DIY section for the official troubleshooting guides.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The RR WIP fuse in the under dash fuse panel is the one for it.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've got a removable rear bike rack as well, almost makes me want to install a kill switch somewhere to keep me from doing the same thing. The console switch blanks seem to be a natural place for it, but it may be better to have it in the rear hatch area.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
49erRider

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Ok so it was a blown fuse. Now the problem is it is blowing fuses as soon as they are put in. How or where do I look for a short?
49erRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erRider View Post
Ok so it was a blown fuse. Now the problem is it is blowing fuses as soon as they are put in. How or where do I look for a short?
It is more likely a jammed mechanical linkage than a short. If you pull the hatch trim, you can get at the wiper assembly. There are two screws that mount the motor to the gearbox. If you pull the motor off of the gear box and run the wiper, the motor should spin and if it doesn't blow the fuse then something is jammed in the gearbox. Four more screws hold the cover on the gearbox - remove those and see if it is something fixable.