Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
madgarage

Drives: red
FrankenYaris, engine swap, wiring loom hell

Hi guys.

I'm wondering if you can help me.
I'm just fixing my neighbours Yaris from 2003. He had a lot problems wit the oil light. He thought it is just a random fault, but the engine died some time ago, He bought a 2nd engine and asked me if i can change it, I said no problem and from this moment hell begins.
After changing the engine it appeared that its the 2nd type. I had an engine with 3 pin camshaft sensor, now there's a 2 pin camshaft sensor, and they are not compatible.
SOOOO i went to 3 scrapyards, i found a wiring loom with the right sensors, exhaust manifold, ECU and keys for the immo.
And there is another change, there's a different ecu with a different plugs.
The old wiring loom was connected directly to ecu and to 3 plugs(one blue) on the right hand side. On the new wiring loom with the new ECU, 3 plugs to the ecu 2 on the right hand side. But the blue doesn't exist, the wires should be connected directly to the ECU.

Does anybody have some wiring diagrams to this pile of .....
I have 2 ECUs
The old is a BOSCH 0 261 208 036 with a Toyota number 89661-0D210
The new one is Fujitsu 89661-52065 211000-7215

I need to connect 19 wires from the 22 pin plug. The should do to the blue plug, but the colours are a little bit different on 6 wires, rest is quite similar.On the donor car the blue plug didn't exist so i cut of the wires, and no i have to connect them to the existing harness(with the blue plug)

I would be very thankful for pinout of these 2 ECUs
madgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
What is the second engine out of?
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Why didn't you just swap the sensor?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #4
madgarage

He said is a 2003 1SZ FE The both are 1sz FE, But the both have different sensors, hone had a sensor with 2 pins and the othe one with 3 pins, the don't fit. The new fits but has a dfferent connector, the old one is to long. I have tried everything. The only option now is to connect the wising dorm the blue connector to the ECU. I was connected to the old one anyway, but the in the new one, thos part of the harness was connected in a different way. So now I'm looking for a diagram to know where should i connect these wires
Old 06-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
madgarage

I got this piece of ..... up and running

I seems that he had a French build Yaris and he bought a Japanese built engine.

Wiring loom is different, exhaust manifold with the whole exhaust system, oil filter base, power generator and pulleys.

I have 8 (eight) wiring diagrams for ECU from Autodata, none of them matches in 100% Plus i have diagrams for radio, electronic display, OBD connector, fuze boxes and power distribution diagrams. Some of them were matching, some of them not. And the most important things didn't
To find the missing power line i had to open the ECU. And guess what. It is connected differently from the wiring diagram. YAY

A lot things didn't work, immo, fuel pump relay, the small display, radio, the electronic display worked only when the OBD cable was connected.

What was wrong? Few grounds were missing, few power lines, the fuel pump power feed line disappeared completely, so i took the +12V from a different wire.

Now i have to connect the rest of the exhaust, secure all of the wires, fix one fault that appears sometimes. And the i will try to forget that car. I was not worth repairing it, but i promised my neighbour that i will do my best.

So... Yes you can install a japanese built engine to a french built car, with only the engine loom.
Will it fit easily - NO its a nightmare, forget about plug and play, unless you would like to change the loom under the dashboard. NOPE NOPE NOPE

Case closed
Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It's hard to think that Toyota would build two different engines with the same engine code.

As far as I know all 1NZ engine are the same except for a few differences to the Prius 1NZ.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
The engine itself hasn't changed but the accessories connected to it get revised/updated and changed through the production run. A gen 1 Yaris/Echo has the same 1NZ-FE as a gen 2 Yaris but the a lot of the accessories where updated like the throttle body changing from cable actuated to electric and the power steering going electric as well.

In the case of the OP he's dealing with the 1SZ-FE which is a 1.0L co-developed with Daihatsu and is not available in North America.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:13 AM   #8
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
This is sort of worrying me a little as for some reason my 06 Yaris is a Jap built model with the 1KR engine. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my current engine wears out or blows up because i bet 99% of the engines available are from the European models (Yaris, Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107) aren't compatible.
zoidberg444 is offline   Reply With Quote