Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #55
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Zoidberg, Frozen north? Lol we were getting 90s weather while I was there. Unfortunately no, I even ended up having to cut my stay short to make it to Massachusetts in time to meet up with a friend. I really enjoyed Montreal though. Aside from the construction, but there's been construction almost every whwre I've been so far.

I made it out to the eastmost point in Maine today and back down to Massachusetts.

I don't think I've camped out for more than 3 nights in a row... I plan to chance this once I'm back though.

Brettguy, I've been thinking about the roof trunks, wish I'd had more time to research those and possibly test one out before leaving. Just seems like something I wont be able to try out during the trip.
I made the decision to leave my crampons because it was gonna be Summer... Bit me in Lassen and North Cascades and Crater lake.
Almost decided to leave my DSLR, but last minute knew I would hate myself if I did, so far 100+ pictures a weeks agrees. I just didnt want that extra item to worry about, but it's paid off more than a lot of good pictures.

The whole try out before you leave idea is true. I thought I'd wing it and be good to go. Almost quit my trip the first night. It's amazing when I look back now and realize how much I would have missed out on. Essentially I've reorganized a good deal of my stuff in the car to make it easier to gonfrom driving/parked covert mode to sleeping mode. Having almost nothing visible in the day has paid off greatly. I can only imagine how much trouble it would be crossing the border 8 times and getting pulled over once if i had had a ton of bags/luggage/coolers/w.e. in plain sight or just a disorganized mess in general. On my 6th border cross one of the officers decided he had to take a look a my trunk, i was like sure no prob, popped it open. All he saw when he lifted my sleeping bag covering up my cooler and grocery thermal pouch. Closed it back up and let me go. I can understand their suspensions, so I think it's just been good for both sides in general.
Digressing, the reason I almost quit the first night was because I arrived at my sleeping site, and wanted to avoid attention and being outside the car too much. So i parked, put my panels down in the back seat area. Jumped in the car and covered up my sleeping area. Then i was trying to shuffle everything out of the way, then remembered I forgot to turn on my fans, but didnt want to go out of the car again so I'm trying to do this from inside, wedging and moving cooler, bags, packba ka around. I was sweating like crazy cause my body heat had ramped up. Luckily I managed to pause myself, and waited to cool off and then slowly made my way to the fans from inside the car. Once I got them on, i just laid there with the fans blowing air on me. Looking back and even at the time I remember just laughing at how ridiculous it was and wished I could have recorded the moment.

I plan to make a video once i get back of my setup routines.

Last edited by seatech30; 06-30-2018 at 11:18 PM.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #56
seatech30

OK, for those who care to look at lots of pics, I put small sized versions into my google drive.

I hadn't had a chance to finish my script till this morning. I processed week1.

I just finished week 9 this past Friday. On Thursday, I reached the moon with my yaris. Based on avg distance from the earth to the moon according to space.com. 238855 miles!

I spent almost a week in Massachusetts with friends, and then made my way down to North Carolina. I should be in Florida tonight. Unfortunately, both of the BBQ places I visited so far were on vacation, Shealy's and Little Pigs. Gonna try another today and hopefully they wont be out too. Bad timing for BBQ, I guess.

Congaree was surprisingly cooler than expected. I would like to come back and do some kayaking there in the future.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #57
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Nice pictures dude. Looks like you had great weather in Yosemite. Last time i made it stateside it only rained 2 days of my 24 day trip and one of those was the day i was in Yosemite.

I'll mirror your comments about good organisation being the key to road trips/camping. When i went to Norway i had to reorganise my car after my second time making camp. Afterwards i realised i'd brought a few to many things with me as well (my camping chair and table). I'm glad i got a really big carry all bag for my tent. I got into the routine of packing it as i would to unpack it. I also got a very small suitcase with my most critical stuff in and 2 nights of clothes. Saved me dragging around my big heavy bag with 3 weeks of clothes in if i stayed in a hotel for a night or having to get to much out of my car. I had a separate bag for my electrical stuff too. Anything i wanted quick to hand i kept in the passenger seat/footwell.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #58
seatech30

Anyone have a strong reason (aside toyota dealers nation wide rolling in their graves) for not doing a 8k oil change? I'm almost at the end of the trip, and I have like 18qt stocked at home (costco sale and rebate). I've done two 7k before and was hoping that would be enough, but looks like im gonna overshoot the last 7k by 1k.

Probably should have mentioned I have 5-30 full synthetic mobile1 from costco and a k&n filter (been using this brand for a long time).
Old 08-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #59
zoidberg444

I change mine at 10K intervals - roughly every 6 months. Its hasn't blown up yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #60
seatech30

Zoidberg444, just what I needed to see. Thanks! Lol
Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #61
seatech30

Hit 250,000 yesterday, 15 miles from Roswell. Also 100 miles away from 30k on this roadtrip already. Will be going over with about 2k by the time I'm done. Feels good to know I'm almost done.

Also hit two skunks the other day... Hope you can forgive my r/ copy pasta:
Was driving East in Colorado. Stopped at a walmart to take a break and buy supplies. Got back on the road and got into the forest area.

All of a sudden in the distance, I saw what seemed like two white plumes fluddering in the air above the road. My mind stuggled to make sense with what I was seeing. I let go of the gas to give my brain more time to process. I actually freaked out for a split second because I could make absolutely no sense of it. Finally my brain arrived at the conclusion that it was garbage bags being tossed around by a light breeze. Yup this is how confusing it was, and I didn't want to dead stop on the road. I begin to accelerate and as I see them go under the car I realized my mistake.

After 28k miles of driving and not hitting anything but bugs and a frog, I felt pretty bad, but also dying from the stench that worked its way into the car. (Didn't see the frog until I parked somewhere and saw it hanging from its leg on the bottom of my bumper. Brought new meaning to frogger and a piece of the little kid inside me died.) For about 1 hr I was afraid to open the windows thinking it would get worse. I was thinking I was going to need a car wash to get the stench off, but finally worked up the courage and found out the air was fine.

I then proceeded to drive through 10+ miles of a minefield of deer, probably the most deer I've seen in one place so far, and I've seen A LOT, well exception to Nara Japan. Needless to say, I wasn't about to up the ante, and I drove about 40MPH while the occasional car blasted past me. I've seen the damage bigger road kill can inflict, and I wasn't about to risk that on my tiny Yaris.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #62
seatech30

Finally got back to home base this Sunday. 13 weeks and 1 day total. 32064 miles, about $10,100 in all expenses (pre-trip included.) 50/59 NPs.

I decided to not ship my car to Hawaii because it was going to cost about $2200 for a roundtrip. I'd rather use that money for something else. Id like to visit the last 9 NPs sooner than later. I'm also heading back out with my parents next week on a 3k loop through some of my favorite NPs in the four corner states. Will be renting an SUV and staying at hotels, though.

For anyone interested, I finished dumping the rest of the 13 weeks of pictures on my google drive. Link in a post above.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 AM   #63
zoidberg444

Nice one mate. I'm heading over to Europe next week. Although i won't be doing anywhere near 30,000 miles.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #64
seatech30

Nice, how many countries are you driving through? I saw someone on r/roadtrip did 14 in 13 days. That would be cool to do some day.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #65
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Wow, 13 weeks and 1 day, 32,064 miles, ~$10,100 in expenses, 50/59 NPs.

So impressive. Must have been an incredible adventure to experience live.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #66
seatech30

I saw some really cool things and places. Mostly a lot of driving though. I was head knocking more times than I'm willing to admit, but got much better at breaking out of the cycle and pulling over to recollect myself or take a nap, near the end.

I definitely don't regret doing this trip the way I did. Maybe if I'd written down more stories, but I kind of felt like I had to leave some of it to the moment and to myself.

The order in which I did the caves couldn't have been any better. Luray, mammoth NP, great basin NP, carlsbad NP.

Here's my spreadsheet for anyone interested in a breakdown of costs and such.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #67
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Glad you made it back home!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #68
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatech30 View Post
Nice, how many countries are you driving through? I saw someone on r/roadtrip did 14 in 13 days. That would be cool to do some day.
I don't have much of a budget this time. I'm hoping to do 8 or 9 in 3 weeks.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:14 AM   #69
seatech30

Hi Dodge Aries K, thanks! How's the yaris collection?

Zoidberg444, should be fun. I wonder what it would be like driving in Europe. I found quite a few states had their quirks on the roads. NJ and NY were definitely the most annoying because of all the honking. I think Utah took the price for most polite and considerate at passing. After a while I realized everyone woild drive at least three car lengths before getting back in front of me. Anyone observed the same or was it just me?
Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #70
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Yaris collection has sadly been downsized a little. Sold my white 2016 (one less loan, yay!) and replaced it's spot with a 2012 Scion iQ because... uhh... I don't know why. It's quirky and I like it plus it's paid for so that's even better hahaha.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #71
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatech30 View Post
Hi Dodge Aries K, thanks! How's the yaris collection?

Zoidberg444, should be fun. I wonder what it would be like driving in Europe. I found quite a few states had their quirks on the roads. NJ and NY were definitely the most annoying because of all the honking. I think Utah took the price for most polite and considerate at passing. After a while I realized everyone woild drive at least three car lengths before getting back in front of me. Anyone observed the same or was it just me?
I've driven in Northern Europe and Scandinavia before. People there seem to drive much the same as they do in the UK. I've heard driving habits in Southern and Eastern Europe can be different though. I guess I'll find out.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #72
seatech30

Dodge Aries K, wasn't the white one your priced possession? One less loan is always great, though. I've never driven an IQ. Does it feel torquier than the Yaris since it's lighter and only about 14ish HP less?

Zoidberg444, look forward to hearing from your trip. Safe travels!