Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Bella

Drives: 06 Yaris YR Hatch
Clicking Noise while Turning

Hi guys,

Being the completely mechanically inept female I am, I'm just looking for some advice. I had all four of my tyres changes just under two months ago, and ever since, I've noticed a 'clicking' sound when I turn right (only right). The noise lasts for as long as I turn, and happens when I just change lanes as well as when I go around roundabouts.

I did a bit of digging through here, and from this post, it makes it sound like my CV joint/ could 'possibly' shot.

Is anyone out there able to come up with a diagnosis?

Bit of extra info - My Yaris is about 3.5 years old, I have traveled less than 40,000km .. I have my car serviced every 6 months (due to my low kms traveled) and have had no accidents. My car is also a manual.

'If' it is the CV joints/components going, does this indicate premature wear and should it be something I should be smashing into the dealer about under my extended warranty? And is this something they are meant to be checking every service?

Cheers!
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
cv joint
bearings
it can also be struts leaking...had that issue but its more like a thug rather than click
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
A CV issue most likely.
Check for damaged CV boots. This will cause pre-mature CV failure.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Being the completely mechanically inept female I am, I'm just looking for some advice.
sounds like u know more about cars than me...in all seriousness LOL

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
As MuskoKA800 said, might be CV.

Easiest thing you do right now beyond listening for the tell tale clicking when you turn is to turn the wheel fully left or right while in park and looking and/or feeling for a tear in the boot.

There's two ends of the right shaft that has boots so look at both.

You can see it it from an angle.

What is the warranty limits in Australia? Here, engine and drive train has longer coverage than the regular warranty. If you are well within it, have them look at it, might even be a free replacement. And if it does need replacing have them do both sides.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
gsf1200m

Drives: 2008 xD
Have you checked to see if the lug nuts are all tight, espeically if it happened after you put new tires on. It may sound stupid but this happened to me years ago.
gsf1200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Sometimes hubcaps can creak as they flex , especially if they are not on correctly or are loose....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Usually clinking sound while turning that is always present on one side or the other is typically a failing CV joint. Although when you had your tires rotated they should have seen the grease splatter on the inside of the wheel and the area of the joint and informed you. If you look up under the car you can confirm this on the right side. If you see grease everywhere you know its a axle. Typical cost of repair can be expected between 180-250 parts and labor.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
Bella

Drives: 06 Yaris YR Hatch
Thanks for all of your help so far guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Usually clinking sound while turning that is always present on one side or the other is typically a failing CV joint. Although when you had your tires rotated they should have seen the grease splatter on the inside of the wheel and the area of the joint and informed you. If you look up under the car you can confirm this on the right side. If you see grease everywhere you know its a axle. Typical cost of repair can be expected between 180-250 parts and labor.
The tyre place I went to did a full check of the suspension/steering/brakes/drive shaft components when they did my tyres, and from looking at the report attached to the invoice, everything seems okay from their perspective..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Easiest thing you do right now beyond listening for the tell tale clicking when you turn is to turn the wheel fully left or right while in park and looking and/or feeling for a tear in the boot.

What is the warranty limits in Australia? Here, engine and drive train has longer coverage than the regular warranty. If you are well within it, have them look at it, might even be a free replacement. And if it does need replacing have them do both sides.
Had a bit of a look this morning but couldn't see too much, though I was really rushed. When I turn the wheel to full lock either side I can hear a straining sound. I might get her up on the jacks and have a decent look for any grease splatters or the like tomorrow..

Australian Toyota's come with a standard 3 year warranty, though the dealers generally offer extended warranty if you get your car serviced at that dealer for the first three years. So mine would just be onto the extended warranty now. 'If' there's something wrong with it (and it isn't just a loose wheel lug or something), I'm going to refuse to pay for the repairs and demand it be made a warranty issue - This is from the mob, after all, who can't even replace my wiper blade without stuffing it up!
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Normally clicking while turning is the axles needing to be retorqued. I would go to a dealership, seeing as they see the cars more often than a tire place. Also check for anything hanging down or interfering with anything while turning. You seem to have done most of this though, so I wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
I had a clicking noise when moving slowly and turning (left or right). However my clicking noise came from underneath the steering column's plastic covers. It was fixed by the dealership by replacing the steering shaft. Your case sounds different though.. =\

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote