Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
shakurov

Drives: 2010 Black 3dr Hatch
Any Engineers?

New to the forum..recently bought a Yaris so I've been browsing the different threads and have spent countless hours reading DIY's and the like. Classic reading material.

I'm currently a/n undergraduate/graduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in Mechanical Engineering so am naturally wondering if there are any practicing/retired Mechanical Engineers on this forum. If so, what sort of work do/did you do?

Thanks in advance.

Eugene

p.s. attached are pics of my hhwhip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0634.JPG (57.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0734.JPG (101.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0690.JPG (88.4 KB, 130 views)
shakurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
Undergrad Mechanical Engineering @ FIT here; I gradate in May
Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Mechanical Engineer, Graduated 2008 from SMU

my work title is "Associate Technical Professional - Mechanical" heheh
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
shakurov

Quote:
Undergrad Mechanical Engineering @ FIT here; I gradate in May
What are the plans after?

Quote:
Mechanical Engineer, Graduated 2008 from SMU

my work title is "Associate Technical Professional - Mechanical" heheh
What sort of work does that entail; i.e. what software do you use?
shakurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Brentorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakurov View Post
What are the plans after?
I Interned with RS&H in Merritt Island last spring. I might try to get a job with them or somewhere in the space coast when I graduate.

I take the GRE on the 9th of Jan so grad school is on my horizon if only part time (have to pay back the loans ).
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
shakurov

Ya I just got in the grad program here it's a 5 year masters deal and it's my 4th year here but I still gotta take the GRE...I'm going to try to get an internship going this coming summer as well.

Do you guys have any SAE teams(formula, baja) over there?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Brentorius

Quote:
Ya I just got in the grad program here it's a 5 year masters deal and it's my 4th year here but I still gotta take the GRE...I'm going to try to get an internship going this coming summer as well.

Do you guys have any SAE teams(formula, baja) over there?
Thats actually my senior project <SAE formula>. I think a team did the baja car 2 years ago.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
shakurov

Quote:
Thats actually my senior project <SAE formula>. I think a team did the baja car 2 years ago.
Its optional here but good experience...we're not doing formula this year..not enough funds but we're in the middle of building the baja car now
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Hi Eugene, I just graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering from a small school in Wisconsin. I moved to Chicago a few weeks ago to start a job as an energy consultant. My emphasis was energy systems and power plant design.
-Matt

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
hey buddy welcome back and congrats
Thank you PK, life had been a little crazy but I should be settled for awhile now. How have you been? How's school?

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I'm a mechanical engineer. I do building facilities, energy analysis, HVAC, plumbing and drainage, fire protection, blah blah blah.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
shakurov

Thanks for the replies guys. I've actually decided to graduate this Spring and get a Bachelor's and see what the job market is like in the summer. If nothing comes up I have an offer to do a Ph.D that I might pursue.

Quote:
Hi Eugene, I just graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering from a small school in Wisconsin. I moved to Chicago a few weeks ago to start a job as an energy consultant. My emphasis was energy systems and power plant design.
Quote:
I'm a mechanical engineer. I do building facilities, energy analysis, HVAC, plumbing and drainage, fire protection, blah blah blah.
How hard was it finding a job? How heavy were they on SAE/3D Solid Modeling experience when looking for potential employees? Also, is the work you're doing now what you thought you were going to do when you got out of school?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I've actually decided to graduate this Spring and get a Bachelor's and see what the job market is like in the summer. If nothing comes up I have an offer to do a Ph.D that I might pursue.

How hard was it finding a job? How heavy were they on SAE/3D Solid Modeling experience when looking for potential employees? Also, is the work you're doing now what you thought you were going to do when you got out of school?

Thanks in advance.
The job market should be getting better as time goes on so by this summer you should have better odds than my graduating class. It wasn't particularly difficult for me to get a job due to my luck with getting experience while in school. Only four of my thirty classmates received offers prior to graduating in December, so overall it still isn't great. I received two hard job offers, neither of which were concerned with modeling skills but neither job was to be a traditional engineer either. I didn't think I would be doing what I am today but I am glad I'm in the energy field; it's so interesting and new developments in technology make it exciting.

Best of luck with your decisions.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Finding a job wasn't terribly difficult, but I started while the construction industry was absolutely booming back in 2006. I interviewed in May of my final year of school and started work in June. I probably spent two months seriously looking. Things were really lean for the first half of 2009, but they picked up last October. I think most companies have significant backlog now to see them through to mid-2011.

3D/solid modeling isn't a huge part of what I do. That said, we're moving in the direction of Revit and it (building information modelling, aka BIM) is becoming a valuable tool for clash detection for mechanical services.

Mechanical engineering is such a ridiculously broad field, particularly when you're in school and are being prepared for potentially dozens of different industries, I'm not really sure if I can say that I'm doing exactly what I expected when I was sitting in lectures. I took a year off engineering to finish an English degree, and decided then that I wanted to work in the building industry. There's a lot less heavy math and a lot more "people work" (internal coordination, working with our managers, meeting clients, working with contractors). What I'm doing now is pretty much on par with what I thought I'd be doing once I interviewed for this particular position. It's a great job and I'm happy with how it's all turned out.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Shinmei2006

Drives: Nissan S14a
Hey i go to USF as well! Perhaps i've seen your car on campus? (could have been 1 of 50 or so black Yaris on campus lol)
Shinmei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote