Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #163
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I bought a hydraulic jack a couple of weeks back and while I was trying it out I decided to take a look at that. From what I've seen, without taking the springs off though, I believe the axle can't really hit the tank, there seems to be a well designed groove where the axle swivels and it didn't seem to me like it could hit anything under there. Also I've had 2 more adults in the car since I lowered it and I can hear the clunks, but I bet it's just the springs, nothing else...
Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #164
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I believe it is hitting on the exhaust. I will put my car up on a rack this week and see if I can tell where some rubbing has happened.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #165
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well i do know that my tie bar that i had bolted to the gas tank was getting hit hard by the rear beam and put a bit of scratches in it. After removing it the clunking got 95 percent better. But the fact that i heard somethign still i assumed it was something in that area that was getting hit still.

It could be possible it could be the springs fully compressing.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #166
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
I relocated the rear suspension today along with upgrading to Tokico blues.... no issues thus far and will report with rear alignment numbers next week.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:10 AM   #167
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Some one should get 200 lbs in the rear, and find alignment numbers.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #168
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
I heard some clunking today during a sharp turn at low speeds to the left. The noise seemed to come from the rear drivers side. I am going to look tomorrow to see what it could be hitting...
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #169
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Just curious. For those of you who are experiencing clunking in the back.

What is your suspension setup?

Lowering springs with stock dampeners
Lowering springs with stiffer dampening
Coilovers w/ two finger width gap from fender well to tire
Coilovers slammed!
Stock ride height....
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #170
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
im running trd springs on stock struts i only get the clunking noise on hard potholes or gonig over speedbumps too fast
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #171
lunjiaow

Drives: Yaris
i just did this adjustment too. I get clunking noises on every bump i go over with 4 people in the car. My problem is the rear sway bar holder hitting the fuel tank. I am running Whiteline sway bar setup so it is different to UR and TRD swaybars. Will check it out tomorrow to see what i can do about it. Otherwise i will put it back to where it was. But driving i do feel a difference, much smoother when driving in straights, dont hear the wheels scrubbing.
lunjiaow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #172
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I used to hear the clunking as well but lately I havn't heard it at all. I'm not really sure what happened but it's non existent now.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 AM   #173
lunjiaow

Well had a look at the rear swaybar holders. They hit my fuel tank (has scratch marks), so i adjusted them to the sides equally and no more clunking sounds. I have at least 2cm clearance in between beam and fuel tank..
Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #174
detroiter

rear sway bar holders?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #175
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
there are no rear sway bar bushings on the Yaris?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #176
Loren
What?

Look a couple posts up, he has a Whiteline rear bar.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #177
fmicle

I started hearing the clunking sounds ever since I installed the new springs (Progress, 1.4" drop) and shocks (Tokico blues). I shortened the bump stops by about half an inch in the back and about 1 inch in the front. Right after the install I took it for a ride and heard the clunks while going over the driveway curb. I thought the coils needed to set in. After that, nothing for more than a month. Then I had 2 adults in the car, one in the front, one in the back and heard the same sounds again a few times. I checked under the car and couldn't see anything bad, no rubbing, no scratching. I don't see how the sway bar could hit anything, since mine (Ultra Racing) is installed right under the axle...
I believe the clunking comes from the fact that my Progress coils are different than the stock ones, the first 3 spirals sit on top of each other so there is more contact between the coils thus, more potential for clunking noise...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #178
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
I started hearing the clunking sounds ever since I installed the new springs (Progress, 1.4" drop) and shocks (Tokico blues). I shortened the bump stops by about half an inch in the back and about 1 inch in the front. Right after the install I took it for a ride and heard the clunks while going over the driveway curb. I thought the coils needed to set in. After that, nothing for more than a month. Then I had 2 adults in the car, one in the front, one in the back and heard the same sounds again a few times. I checked under the car and couldn't see anything bad, no rubbing, no scratching. I don't see how the sway bar could hit anything, since mine (Ultra Racing) is installed right under the axle...
I believe the clunking comes from the fact that my Progress coils are different than the stock ones, the first 3 spirals sit on top of each other so there is more contact between the coils thus, more potential for clunking noise...
I'll say put it back to the original position (lower pivot point and then problem solved) I put it back on mine and it "comfort' level is back & there is no longer any strange sound fro the rear.
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #179
lunjiaow

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo165 View Post
I'll say put it back to the original position (lower pivot point and then problem solved) I put it back on mine and it "comfort' level is back & there is no longer any strange sound fro the rear.
Yep, i too did the same. Would rather not have a hole in my fuel tank =)
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #180
detroiter

Not sure the clunking could come from hitting the gas tank with the axle. Not sure how a metal axle beam and a plastic gas tank could equal "clunk" if they hit together. Anyone find out something definitive on what the clunk could be? Like I said, when I first did the mod I heard some clunking over big bumps and such, but even know when I run over big bumps, I don't hear it anymore. It ended up going away. Just not sure what could have happened. The car handles too good and feels great to want to put it back to the lower position