Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
DARKYARIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS HB
Speed Limiter

OK....So the New Yaris is all broke in and I'm winding her up 140,150,160,170,180.......185 KM/Hr. And someone pulled the plug.
What gives.....Now I gotta get a chip or something ????
Clocked this on the GPS to make sure its accurate , and YUP right on the money 185 K. No more. Dammit, a fella should be able to decide how fast he actually wants to go........So I'm a speed freak.....yup. Got the room and the roads ....so why not.

The question is who has the cure and where do I get it ??????
DARKYARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
You are an idiot if you are doing this on a public road.

If you own a disused airfield, give me a call.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I know theres a device that you can install to your car. Its like a parent child thing. The mother/father can acually know how fast you are going on the highway etc on this little mobile thing. And if your going over the speed limit they can shut down your car by the mobile.

I saw it on the news :)
Old 10-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
obylium

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S, black/bisque
Ya I remember hearing of that. It sure would blow if I had it on my yaris but good thing I don't
obylium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #5
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I dont understand why they would have a device a cut off the car,wouldnt that put alot of pple on the highwy at risk,not to mention the child your doing this to,that you love so much they could easily come out with special keys that lock or unlock the potential of the car(2 keys,one ignition),or Im sure in a few years we will have thumb print tecnology that would do the same,becuse if the car had a 60mph limiter all the time,the car would be useless.Anyway,I got mine upto 115mph,stock,Ill try again soon,with some more performance part,Im waiting on Megan headers,and some other stuff.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Why would you want a car with a sub par handling to go any faster.

sports car are built and designed to handel thoes speeds not an econo box.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
DARKYARIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
You are an idiot if you are doing this on a public road.

If you own a disused airfield, give me a call.
Guess if you r scared of a little speed or cannot handle the equipment .....Yeah.... "YOU" might be an idiot.
I don't remember saying I was doing this on a congested hiway,service road or residential street.

I'm old enough to know better, and have enough time under my belt to know my own limitations. ( check my garage ) Horse power and speed have been in my blood from the day I had my first bicycle.
I only just finally released hold of my pet Mustang ('89 5.0 litre GT ) which I had owned since 1990. And this car I have taken up to 276 km/hr, (quite regularily) ................................

Anyways, without gettin further into it.

To each his own......nuff said.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
You own a Mustang and think the yaris handles good at 185kph? LOL

I own and have owned a lot of fast cars and some nice sports cars and in no way would I ever even think about comparing the handling ofthe Yaris with a sports car at speeds over 100mph ,
Hell a tiny side wind will try to push the car all over, hit a dip in the road and that electric steering will get caddywompas REAL FAST. The wheel base is short and the car is not balance well enough for high speed handling.
Are the tires even rated for over 120mph ?

More then just being able to handle the car at these speeds it's drivers that are careless that boost insurance costs. Maybe you have not been caught yet but if and when you do i'll thank you now for increasing all our insurance rates again. It only takes a split second for someone to pull out in front of you or even a deer to step out on the road and it's all over. Speeding and drunk driving are the top two resons for fatal car crashes or acidents involving other motorists.
I guess some people just don't like people bragging about having no regard for public safety or local laws...
Then again I can't say I always obey the speed limits. the fastest I had my car was on my uncles private road aprox 2miles long
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKYARIS
Guess if you r scared of a little speed or cannot handle the equipment .....Yeah.... "YOU" might be an idiot.
I don't remember saying I was doing this on a congested hiway,service road or residential street.

I'm old enough to know better, and have enough time under my belt to know my own limitations. ( check my garage ) Horse power and speed have been in my blood from the day I had my first bicycle.
I only just finally released hold of my pet Mustang ('89 5.0 litre GT ) which I had owned since 1990. And this car I have taken up to 276 km/hr, (quite regularily) ................................

Anyways, without gettin further into it.

To each his own......nuff said.
Who died and made you god? Glad you live up there in crazyville and not endangering my life.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Well said.but on the other hand,with the right parts this car,and any car can handle aswell as a porshe,with the right amount of money.But I know when to go these speeds and where,but any thing is possible,did you know the leadind cause of death around the world was waking up and living.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 AM   #11
SmellyTofu
好多人&

eco, some things are not preventable (well, maybe exercise and eating right => live longer) but EXCESSIVE speed IS preventable. If everyone was going at 180, fine. But when there are a great variation in speed between vehicles, and it only takes one thing to go wrong, and it's goodbye road, hello coffin.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:42 AM   #12
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I admit speeding is fun..................Safe Speeding is better lol...is there such a thing as safe speeding?

Anyway if you wanna speed and drag and race, im sure theres some deserted roads out there.......

Just dont speed in public rds, its plain stupid and you prob need to get shot for speeding on public rds cuz i know a friend of a friend of a friend of mine, he was going 140KM/H in a 50KM zone and he hit this mans leg while he was crossing. I dont know the full story but he had to pay major fines and he done time too.....
Old 10-25-2006, 03:38 AM   #13
DARKYARIS

Not wasting anymore of my time on this.

All i asked was if there is a chip, module or whatever to bypass the limiter.
Thanks for the input though, Much appreciated. Nice to know someone cares !

Last edited by DARKYARIS; 10-25-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Even that's not safe... One time in Malaysia, made the mistake of getting on a bus which was racing another one across town... Scary...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 AM   #15
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
You own a Mustang and think the yaris handles good at 185kph? LOL

I own and have owned a lot of fast cars and some nice sports cars and in no way would I ever even think about comparing the handling ofthe Yaris with a sports car at speeds over 100mph ,
Hell a tiny side wind will try to push the car all over, hit a dip in the road and that electric steering will get caddywompas REAL FAST. The wheel base is short and the car is not balance well enough for high speed handling.
Are the tires even rated for over 120mph ?

More then just being able to handle the car at these speeds it's drivers that are careless that boost insurance costs. Maybe you have not been caught yet but if and when you do i'll thank you now for increasing all our insurance rates again. It only takes a split second for someone to pull out in front of you or even a deer to step out on the road and it's all over. Speeding and drunk driving are the top two resons for fatal car crashes or acidents involving other motorists.
I guess some people just don't like people bragging about having no regard for public safety or local laws...
Then again I can't say I always obey the speed limits. the fastest I had my car was on my uncles private road aprox 2miles long

I agree completely, I thank God for the Yaris' good braking, we almost had a run in with a deer the other day, in the dark at only 55 mph. Stupid thing just stood there till the last second, we came to a dead stop with the front probably missing the deer's rear leg by about 2 or 3 inches, and that was braking from what seemed like only 2 feet away, but it was probably a greater distance, I hate those slow motion moments when there's something ahead and nowhere to go on either side except a metal guard rail and a concrete riser.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #16
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Back to the thread topic (damn to all of you thread snippers)

There was atleast in my intrepid a device called a Governor which would stop your engine at a certain speed. All you had to do was remove the governor and there goes your "speed limit"

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Now that we are past the "Speeding Is Bad" thing....

I can not speak for the Yaris as I have never tried to see what the "electronic limits" are. But most cars today have both a rev limiter and a speed governor.

For instance, my 03 Ford Sport Trac, while sitting in the driveway in park will not rev past 2700 RPM. The rev limiter starts firing every other injector to keep the RPM's low. I have a 99 Accord where the engine will not go past 6700 RPM or so. I don't remember exactly but when I was playing with it in lower gears to feel the VTEC kick in, the engine started cutting out somewhere below 7K.

Again... I don't personally know but a friend of mine states his corvette is limited to 140 mph.

There are performance chips and/or modules available to circumvent the controls. I could see the bypassing the MPH but I would rather keep the rev limiter in tact. It has happened before where I am hauling a$$ down the highway and the wife has hit the shifter (by accident) reaching for something and the car went into neutral.. I actually pulled over to listen for a rod knock. Glad the rev limiter was there.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I also hate Governers... here in Ohio there are 2 jackasses running for Governer :)... Oh yeah... wrong Governer... anyway my 00 Blazer had a speed limiter @ 95mph, my wife 03 Alero has one at 115 mph as well... when I hit 115 in my Yaris I can tell she still has some more in her... damn goverment puts regulations on everything don't they?

so... did anyone figure out how to get rid of our speed limiter?