Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
08blackyari
slowpoke

Drives: 08 blk LB manu. pwr opt & cld
compensation from dealer

So here is the saga that is my time at this dealer:
I brought my 08 yaris lb to the dealer to get the evaporator replaced because the hvac was smelling (covered under the warranty). They did the job the next day, and in doing so they scratched a bunch of different parts of my dash and didnt install parts correctly. I alerted the service manger and he tried to fix some of the plastics but ended up having to order some pieces. When I drove. back home the brakes felt odd to me because they felt way more firm thanthey had previously. When I got out of my car I noticed the brake lights stayed on for no reason and qould jot shut off. I called the dealer back and he said it was a coincidence! the nerve! I then took it to a nearby dealer nd they didn't have time to check the brakes but fixed the light by properly connecting a chord under the dash. those mechanics told me it wasn't something that would naturally happen over time. it was clearly the idiots fault who messed up my dash. I brought my car back to them the next day to get the new plastic installed and told them to check the brakes because they felt funny. when I got it back there were still some scratche and I was told they would be attended to when the new steering wheel arrived (they scratched the whole face of that). they said the brakes were fine so I got in and drove away. 5 miles later my from brakes looked up and I had to get it towed. The dealer called me the next day and said its probably something that was disconnected under the dash when they changed the evaporator.
they're still working on it (2 days in the shop.) but I'm wondering if I can ask them for any compensation for the gross amounts of errors that they committed. i wouldn't be so bent on this had they just told me that they scratched my dash before I got in it, but they didn't, they hoped I wouldn't notice. on top of that they almost caused me to have an accident and wasted hours of my time (i was at the dealer 4 times in 5 days).
is it crazy for me to ask for free all-weather formats after all this crap?.
08blackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Sorry to see that . We're taking our '08 sedan in for a head cylinder gasket replacement soon . Scares us all to of what can go wrong . We plan to take pics of the outsude , inside , and of the engine compartment before dropping it off . Yes , hold them responsible and alert TOYOTA customer service if needed . GOOD LUCK .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
08blackyari
slowpoke

since i'm less than 100 miles from voiding my 3 years/36k miles, I think I'm going to ask them to extend my warranty for a period of time to make sure that its running fine. anyone think they'll do that for me?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08blackyari View Post
since i'm less than 100 miles from voiding my 3 years/36k miles, I think I'm going to ask them to extend my warranty for a period of time to make sure that its running fine. anyone think they'll do that for me?

Honestly I doubt they will. You need to document everything as much as possible. Take photos and get names. Call Toyota Customer Support and ask how to file a claim against the dealership. That is your best recourse.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I dont trust the dealership at all. Here are my 3 experiences for the 3 times i took my car to the dealership and this is between 2 local dealerships. The first one i had to leave my car off to have my alarm system installed. Its installed instead of the oem position in a easy lazy location right behind the steering wheel The LED is off centered and installed crooked. I have ocd so this bothers me to no end. Also the whole plastic housing around the steering wheel was assembled crooked so the tabs werent properly locked in place leaving a gap. I had to unscrew it and put it back together properly. Something i shouldnt needed to have done.

Another time my drivers side door lock actuator stoped working. Took it to the dealership to get fixed. Worked fine afterwards but when i went to put my new speakers in to my surprise the plastic vapor barrier thats on the door was torn and 90 percent removed!. Not only that 2 months later my window started making really strange noises when i rolled it down. Somehow the rubber track had come off. I had to put it back together. That is right next to the area that was worked on.

Third and last time. My water pump went out. Those who know me know i regularly detail my car which includes my engine. So when i dropped my car off my engine was immaculate. I have a carbon fiber engine cover some billet items under the hood etc. So any tech seeing that usually would take the time to clean up after themselves but no. When i got home and opend my hood there was dry crusty pink stuff EVERYWHERE. If he took just the 1 or 2 minutes to wipe it up with a rag it instead of letting it dry it would have come off so much easier.

I will tell you though when it comes to warranty work the technician gets paid less labor than a normal repair. A normal job that is 1.0 hr book rate might be .6 or .7 warranty labor. So this only encourages the technician to finish the work as quickly as possible which typically means a sloppy job.

I dont think there is any real compensation you can get. Only thing you can do is when they send you the car in the mail for a review. Leave them a extremely nasty review. You usually will get a call from someone about it later. At that point they may offer you some sort of compensation. Depending on what dealership you are at those reviews can effect the persons salary.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
wtf.. I've pulled panels off for the stereo, suspension, and for cleaning purposes. I've literally pulled every piece of plastic off my car and except for the kick panels, everything looks new. I sometimes pull my dash apart when I'm bored(I played with a lot of legos when I was a kid)
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I dont trust the dealership at all. Here are my 3 experiences for the 3 times i took my car to the dealership and this is between 2 local dealerships. The first one i had to leave my car off to have my alarm system installed. Its installed instead of the oem position in a easy lazy location right behind the steering wheel The LED is off centered and installed crooked. I have ocd so this bothers me to no end. Also the whole plastic housing around the steering wheel was assembled crooked so the tabs werent properly locked in place leaving a gap. I had to unscrew it and put it back together properly. Something i shouldnt needed to have done.

Another time my drivers side door lock actuator stoped working. Took it to the dealership to get fixed. Worked fine afterwards but when i went to put my new speakers in to my surprise the plastic vapor barrier thats on the door was torn and 90 percent removed!. Not only that 2 months later my window started making really strange noises when i rolled it down. Somehow the rubber track had come off. I had to put it back together. That is right next to the area that was worked on.

Third and last time. My water pump went out. Those who know me know i regularly detail my car which includes my engine. So when i dropped my car off my engine was immaculate. I have a carbon fiber engine cover some billet items under the hood etc. So any tech seeing that usually would take the time to clean up after themselves but no. When i got home and opend my hood there was dry crusty pink stuff EVERYWHERE. If he took just the 1 or 2 minutes to wipe it up with a rag it instead of letting it dry it would have come off so much easier.

I will tell you though when it comes to warranty work the technician gets paid less labor than a normal repair. A normal job that is 1.0 hr book rate might be .6 or .7 warranty labor. So this only encourages the technician to finish the work as quickly as possible which typically means a sloppy job.

I dont think there is any real compensation you can get. Only thing you can do is when they send you the car in the mail for a review. Leave them a extremely nasty review. You usually will get a call from someone about it later. At that point they may offer you some sort of compensation. Depending on what dealership you are at those reviews can effect the persons salary.
Wow, that is a terrible dealership.

The one thing I want to comment on is what you mentioned about book rate. Book rate is what a relatively newer mechanic will take to get the job done, not what an experienced ASE Certified guy will do. Depending on the job, sometimes a good mechanic can go as far as doing it right in half of the time. The warranty work payouts simply reflect this. Book rate is basically a way for mechanics to charge you for time they are doing something else.

I love the dealership I go to. It isn't even the one I bought the car at, since I live in Florida and purchased my vehicle when I was living in Massachusetts. But I have had zero problems with them, and they have done all my service, and installed my aftermarket wheels and locking lug nuts, and gave me a good price.

I hope there is at least one good dealership in your area.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Book rate is also derived from using basic hand tools. Dealership mechanics typically have equipment that makes many jobs go faster. May not really be applicable to dash panel removal and reinstallation.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
08blackyari
slowpoke

So its been 5 days since they've had my car and they THINK they have solved the issue. They're supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know whats up. i'll keep you guys posted.

Oh yeah, I'm waiting to get all the papers in order from this fiasco to send them along with a letter to Toyota's customer service department. We'll see what come of that.