Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
About to do my first oil change

okay, so i went out to Napa Auto Parts and bought 4 quarts of their 5W30 oil, their Gold oil filter, a drain pan, oil filter wrench, a socket set, and a funnel (didn't have the last four at this house). now i'm just waiting about an hour for the oil to cool down a bit so i can change it.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

i must have a big head (lol) or something cuz i can't get in the space under my Yaris. i was able to unplug the drain plug, but now i have to figure out how i'm going to get to the filter...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i must have a big head (lol) or something cuz i can't get in the space under my Yaris. i was able to unplug the drain plug, but now i have to figure out how i'm going to get to the filter...
prolly gonna have to jack that baby up, man. use the jack that came with the car. if you don't have any jack stands to support the car use some blocks of wood or bricks if you have to. i'd seriously recommend investing in some jack stands though.

i will be changing my oil tomorrow so i am glad you reminded me about not being able to fit your head under the car...i know mine won't.
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

oh and change the oil while its hot. don't let it cool down. it will drain easier when its hot. make sure you have some thick latex gloves.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Rhino Ramps... cars best friend. Cheap and easy way to work under your car. Google it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr6123.jpg (11.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg ramps.jpg (25.4 KB, 178 views)
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

ok, that was a pain to change. filter was beyond hand tight, so i couldn't get it off using my hands. the tool i bought only made things worse. i just kept on slipping and scratching the filter. so i went all over my block asking my neighbors if they had an oil filter wrench. no one did. so i tried to use the tool one more time. turned a little, but then went back to scratching the paint and metal off the filter. so i tried using my hands again, but nothing. so i scrummaged to find one of those thick pink rubber bands. found a couple, slipped one onto the filter, and used the tool i bought to losen it. snapped the rubber band in the process though. unplugging the drain plug, waiting for the oil to drain out, and putting everything back in (oil and new filter) probably only took 15-20 minutes, but that problem took like an hour or more...BAH!

oh yea, i was able to fit my fat head (lol) under the car, but i had to be on my cheek, and my other cheek only had about a quarter of an inch or less space, so i couldn't really move too much. i need some jack stands or ramps...good luck to everyone changing their oil. i'm returning that stupid tool and buying a filter cap (since i either left my other one at my aunty's house or lost it).
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Get an oil filter wrench that specifically fits that filter and it couldn't be easier. On the LB you can see the filter from the top of the engine and just feel for it from under the bumper. Ramps will be handy if you need to see what you are doing and makes draining easier.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Get an oil filter wrench that specifically fits that filter and it couldn't be easier. On the LB you can see the filter from the top of the engine and just feel for it from under the bumper. Ramps will be handy if you need to see what you are doing and makes draining easier.
as long as my head doesn't get any bigger, i can keep changing my oil without the aid of a jack stand or ramp, but those will make it more comfortable. lol...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Yaris_Fan

Drives: Liftback Auto
Who makes NAPA oil?
Yaris_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris_Fan View Post
Who makes NAPA oil?
i did a search on oil and people here say that NAPA oil is pretty good, and i know some performance shops that uses it too. i forget who makes it tho. try doing a search on NAPA oil.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Hello, I'm new here to this Forum. About your oil change.....I just did mine this past weekend.
This is only MY opinion. I drove my front wheels onto 2x4's which gave me a little better clearance for my head, and enough for All the oil to drain out. I would think that by driving onto ramps, the car is now on an incline......not all the oil gets drained out. Most of it, but not All of it (again, this is only MY opinion). Why worry about scratching the filter if it is going to be thrown out anyway (unless your saving it)? Seems that you do need a filter socket for it but I just ended up using a large pair of adjustables on an angle and got it loose. That's what I'll use thereafter and save myself $ from buying a filter socket. I ended up using MOBIL-1 Synthetic 5W/30 and a WIX oil filter. As Tekoe stated, "always change the oil when it's hot". Obviously, don't burn yourself but just don't let the oil cool off. Sorry, but latex gloves and hot things just don't go together for me, you'll find out some day. The entire process took me from the driving on the boards to starting the car about 20 minutes. This was my first time changing oil on the YARIS and I'm sure once you get a system down you'll do just fine. Thought I would share my experience on it.

sambo42xa
Southern NH USA
sambo42xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
Sorry, but latex gloves and hot things just don't go together for me, you'll find out some day.
i meant to say rubber gloves, not latex. the kind of gloves you would see someone cleaning a bathroom with. they are usually yellow. i always use them and i have never had a single burn from changing oil on any car or motorcycle.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #13
Yaris_Fan

Drives: Liftback Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i did a search on oil and people here say that NAPA oil is pretty good, and i know some performance shops that uses it too. i forget who makes it tho. try doing a search on NAPA oil.
I think it's Valvoline.
Yaris_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #14
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

changed my oil tonight. freaking factory tightens those oil filters on there WAY TOO TIGHT! freaking nuts. i think they do it on purpose so you will give up and take it to the dealer to have them change it. pitiful.

i ended up getting it off after yelling a bunch of four letter words. running amsoil 5w30 with a napa gold oil filter. my yaris is loving me now. :)
Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
Hello, I'm new here to this Forum. About your oil change.....I just did mine this past weekend.
This is only MY opinion. I drove my front wheels onto 2x4's which gave me a little better clearance for my head, and enough for All the oil to drain out. I would think that by driving onto ramps, the car is now on an incline......not all the oil gets drained out. Most of it, but not All of it (again, this is only MY opinion). Why worry about scratching the filter if it is going to be thrown out anyway (unless your saving it)? Seems that you do need a filter socket for it but I just ended up using a large pair of adjustables on an angle and got it loose. That's what I'll use thereafter and save myself $ from buying a filter socket. I ended up using MOBIL-1 Synthetic 5W/30 and a WIX oil filter. As Tekoe stated, "always change the oil when it's hot". Obviously, don't burn yourself but just don't let the oil cool off. Sorry, but latex gloves and hot things just don't go together for me, you'll find out some day. The entire process took me from the driving on the boards to starting the car about 20 minutes. This was my first time changing oil on the YARIS and I'm sure once you get a system down you'll do just fine. Thought I would share my experience on it.

sambo42xa
Southern NH USA

i was advised not to use synthetic yet, so i won't use that until around 7k or later. i'll be using Royal Purple. i usually change my oil fairly quickly, but that scratching problem was what took a long time.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
changed my oil tonight. freaking factory tightens those oil filters on there WAY TOO TIGHT! freaking nuts. i think they do it on purpose so you will give up and take it to the dealer to have them change it. pitiful.

i ended up getting it off after yelling a bunch of four letter words. running amsoil 5w30 with a napa gold oil filter. my yaris is loving me now. :)
i couldn't find any Amsoil anywhere.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I use OEM oil filter I just took it to the auto parts store asked for a filter wrench that would fit this filter and they pointed to where they wore got one of those cap types they are the best
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
THE FACTORY USES AN IMPACT WRENCH TO TIGHTEN THOSE FILTERS...
OR SO DOES THAT TOYOTA MECHANIC I TALKED TO SAID.

I CHANGED MY FRIENDS OIL IN HIS BRAND NEW 07 COROLLA, AND BOY WAS IT A PAIN IN THE A.S.S. IT TOOK ME about 10 minutes to get the filter out, I needed to hammer that tool in just to get it out. good thing is he got mobil1 ready and a K&N filter with the nut so the next time i change it wont be such a pain...

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote