Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Wheel bearing or ???

When I turn *slightly* left (even just enough left to correct for the crown in the road) I get a light rumbling feeling through the car and a noise like a worn bearing (whirrrrrrr). The harder the left turn, the stronger the feeling and noise. The pitch follows with speed, not RPM, and is present whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. The noise seems to be coming from the front of the car.

Is the wheel bearing bad? I assume it would be the front right, as it occurs when turning left.

If it is, I notice RockAuto lists bearing and hubs as separate items. Does a typical replacement hub (probably going to be the Dorman part in Canada) include the bearing, or should I order that as well? I do have access to a press, though I'd have to put it back together so I'd rather just buy it all together.

Also, I notice they mention with/without ABS. Does that actually matter? Aren't the ABS rings pressed onto the axles?
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
My guess is it's the cv joint.
I'm no expert but have had those fail with the same symptoms.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Jack car up, put trans in neutral, rotate wheels by hand & listen for the rumble. Sometimes you can feel the rumble through the coil spring. Bearing might even be loose.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Very likely the front right wheel bearing. If you have abs then make sure you buy an abs hub assembly. Generally speaking the hub comes with the bearing and makes assembly much easier.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
bairjo

if your bearing does prove yo be bad, replace it with a Timkrn bearing.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The ABS sensors go into the hub. I doubt there is a cap to cover the opening if you buy ABS for a non-ABS vehicle.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
shepd

Thanks for the advice. I tried yanking on the wheel with the car jacked up on that corner, but I can't really feel anything loose. Spinning the wheel makes a small amount of rubbing sound, but nothing that I haven't heard on most wheels with disc brakes.

Checked all 3 other tires the same way (didn't spin the rear tires) and they're all tight. I have heard it's possible for a wheel bearing to go bad without having any play (perhaps because the calipers hold it in place?) Any other way to check? From every youtube video I've heard of someone driving with bad wheel bearings mine sounds the same.

The job seems involved enough (compared to bolt on hubs, which I've done before) that I'm not excited about changing it as preventative maintenance.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
shepd

With further review, I've found that in certain circumstances the wheel bearing can go bad without being loose. The only way in that case to be certain is disassembly of the bearing to look for damaged parts or metal filings. With that knowledge, and the fact this is getting louder and more obviously matches every video I've heard of a bad wheel bearing, I've gone ahead and ordered parts to replace both front bearings. Got a decent deal on the bearings at $43 CDN each, though new axle nuts were $15 each at Toyota, and new snap rings $13 each. Boo for over priced dealer parts! Bought them anyways as if I do this job I want to do it right. $160 in parts and it should be right as rain. Guess that's better than the $300 I'd expect a garage around here to charge per side.

Wish me luck! Hopefully I can get it done this weekend. Fortunately, I do have access to a press, but I'll have to pay to have the vehicle aligned afterwards.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Look, don't start taking things apart till you know which one. If you hear the pads rubbing while you turn it, try pushing in caliper pistons. Then you won't have anything else that'll be making a noise. Grasp the coil spring while turning the wheel, you can feel a roughness there.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #10
shepd

I'll give those checks a try. I was going to replace both (since I have to get an alignment afterwards, might as well) so as long as one of the two is bad, it's not a waste of time yet. :)
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #11
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
With further review, I've found that in certain circumstances the wheel bearing can go bad without being loose. The only way in that case to be certain is disassembly of the bearing to look for damaged parts or metal filings. With that knowledge, and the fact this is getting louder and more obviously matches every video I've heard of a bad wheel bearing, I've gone ahead and ordered parts to replace both front bearings. Got a decent deal on the bearings at $43 CDN each, though new axle nuts were $15 each at Toyota, and new snap rings $13 each. Boo for over priced dealer parts! Bought them anyways as if I do this job I want to do it right. $160 in parts and it should be right as rain. Guess that's better than the $300 I'd expect a garage around here to charge per side.

Wish me luck! Hopefully I can get it done this weekend. Fortunately, I do have access to a press, but I'll have to pay to have the vehicle aligned afterwards.
So you replaced the bearings with the same brand that failed?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
shepd

No, different brand I imagine (not OEM). 1 year warranty so at least I can go back and complain if they don't work. The store I got them from has sent me decent quality parts before so I trust them. :) I'm guessing this is an OEM part that failed. I've got 228,000 km on the odo so I'm not upset. Just part and parcel of owning an 8 year old car.

In the process of getting into it, I have found at least one rotten outer TRE (nice gritty grease came out of the boot) and two ball joints with issues (one ripped, one doesn't feel nice). The suspected bearing is plenty noisy when removed from the vehicle and spun.

I'm going to get new control arms as there's been a front end clunk that hasn't gone away and now it seems I could use ball joints. New control arms will come with the bushings that nobody seems to sell (Except maybe Toyota, but blehhhhh... Their prices will just steer me to a new car, probably cheaper that way :P ). And I'll replace both TREs as I'm going to need an alignment anyway.

I imagine with all those parts she'll feel like a brand new car. :P

Don't worry ex-x-fire, I did the spring feel test and I felt something there.

Now to wait for Rockauto packages...