Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
tawheed

Drives: 02 986S
05 Echo RS or 08 Yaris RS?

Hey guys,

Newb here looking for a DD. Been all over the map but I've always enjoyed lightweight fun to drive cars, this will be a DD for the entire year which includes a lot of snow. I test drove an 05 Echo RS 5-door hatch with 101k kms (60k miles) and really liked it.. Now I've located an 08 Yaris RS, with only 70k kms (44k miles) for approximately the same price..

The Echo comes with winter / summer wheels and tires and a remote starter.

The Yaris has more features like power windows and mirrors.

While lurking here I did read the Yaris has an E-throttle, I've never been a fan of these - is it a major complaint in this car?

Are mods just as easily available for the Echo Hatch RS (as it was never sold in the States) and the Yaris RS?

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated, I need (want) to make a decision in the next few days..

Thanks!
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes definately! My Yaris has sucky throttle response and I hear that is universal. There is hesitation upon acceleration. Its very difficult to get the car off smoothly from a stop. Not so the ECHO which has a cable. Its an obvious problem Toyota doesnt seem to have a clue about.
My leaning to the the ECHO for sure. Its reliable, gets better mileage. You wouldnt go wrong with a Yaris but Id rather the ECHO.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'd go Echo too. I've got one myself and it just feels better than the new yaris, which I've also driven. Almost all parts that fit the old xB fit the Echo if you're looking for upgrades. And the cable throttle response is instant compaired to the Yaris. The Echo is a few hundred pounds lighter, get slightly better millage and handles better, stock for stock.

The Yaris on the other hand has all the new car goodies like factory cruise and all those power accessories. Though you have to watch out for corroding rear wheel speed sensor plugs, something that's easily avoidable with some dielectric grease.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
yaris won't have criuse.

honestly, it depends on what you're doing with it/to it.

yaris is bigger and will seat 5, vs the echo having a seating setup of 4. more space in the back of the yaris behind the rear seats vs the echo.

less engine bay room in the echo too (if you do your own work)

i REALLY like the echo RS...especially 05 because it has a tach (which 04 doesn't)

but because the yaris is available in the US and Canada, there are more mods available for the exterior vs the echo (which has very very limited mods) but you CAN order xb parts for the echo and pick up used xb/xa parts much more readily.

however, if they're the same price, i would lean yaris RS. its 3yrs newer, has 30000km less on it, and it has the full front, sides, rear lip kit on it, nicer seats and interior

i get about 7L/100km all-city driving with intake/header/exhaust....i wouldnt exactly say its bad on gas, either.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
tawheed

Thanks for the great input already! So far, I'm leaning towards the Echo as the DBW throttle system is the reason I sold one of my cars, a 2006 WRX, I tried to get it tuned out but it never felt natural to me.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Isn't one of those blitz throttle controllers relatively cheap? If so I'd just go with the Yaris. Even if not, I don't know that I've ever really had a problem getting the Yaris off smoothly from a stop as someone else mentioned. And like barber said it is slightly newer for the same price. And not just newer in terms of year model but mileage.

Plus I think the 08 yaris looks the best out of the entire yaris/echo/vitz family. But obviously that's just my opinion.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

frownonfun is right

there are throttle controllers that speed up response time....making it lag free.

that said, ive tracked my car and drive it daily w/o feeling any annoyance from the dbw
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
tawheed

Just got word the yaris was in an accident hence the great price. That pretty much eliminates that option for me. I fund cars that have been hit are never quite the same
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post
Just got word the yaris was in an accident hence the great price. That pretty much eliminates that option for me. I fund cars that have been hit are never quite the same
i'm with you on that one. could have been something minor but why take the chance really.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

i hit a piece of metal on the 401 and had to have the frame pulled, rad and rad support replaced, oil pan replaced, new front bumper

works just fine. but i had it fixed at a toyota dealership thru insurance. win win.

depends on the accident.

but ya, echo might be the better option at this point...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
tawheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i hit a piece of metal on the 401 and had to have the frame pulled, rad and rad support replaced, oil pan replaced, new front bumper

works just fine. but i had it fixed at a toyota dealership thru insurance. win win.

depends on the accident.

but ya, echo might be the better option at this point...
Ya, this was also front end, lights, bumper, fender, hood and rad. I'm leaning towards the echo but 7k seems like a lot. I

Opinions??
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

honestly, it depends on how crazy you're going to get modding it...

hard to find an echo for less than $5000 unless it had 200k on it....

$7000 with 100k for an RS isn't TOO bad, really
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
tawheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
honestly, it depends on how crazy you're going to get modding it...

hard to find an echo for less than $5000 unless it had 200k on it....

$7000 with 100k for an RS isn't TOO bad, really
Yeah, after searching around, considering it comes with the winter wheels / tires and compustar and a few other little things I think it might actually be a fair deal..

I have a summer car that fills my need for great handling and speed but I'd probably want to do a trackday or two in the Echo, most likely just do some suspension mods and maybe minor bolts on to make it sound a little nicer. Seems like Echo bolt ons are hard to find when I search on ebay though I'm not sure really what I should be searching for to ensure it will fit..
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If gas really goes to $5 a gallon in the States this summer as some are predicting, that price might be a bargain...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Yeah, after searching around, considering it comes with the winter wheels / tires and compustar and a few other little things I think it might actually be a fair deal..

I have a summer car that fills my need for great handling and speed but I'd probably want to do a trackday or two in the Echo, most likely just do some suspension mods and maybe minor bolts on to make it sound a little nicer. Seems like Echo bolt ons are hard to find when I search on ebay though I'm not sure really what I should be searching for to ensure it will fit..
search for gen 1 xb parts (2004-2007, iirc)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #16
tawheed

I'll be picking up the Echo today (Thursday) evening.. Glad to finally work out a deal and hope it serves me well for it's intended purpose.. Also hope I don't get carried away with mods or the wife will murder me.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
thebarber
daily driver

nice!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
I'll be picking up the Echo today (Thursday) evening.. Glad to finally work out a deal and hope it serves me well for it's intended purpose.. Also hope I don't get carried away with mods or the wife will murder me.
Congrats!

Now don't disappear from the forums like so many do after milking us. We absolutely need more Echo representation here.