Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #1
sim785

Drives: Vitz
Motor sound from front wheels after moving a little with car

Hello,

I have a 2002 Vitz.

The other day after switching off the car and was unpacking stuff I heard like a motor sound (the sound was like the motor of liquidizer) continuously running. I had never heard this before. At first I thought it was the cooling fun in front of the radiator but I knew this never turned on when car was switched off. I opened the front bonnet but could not locate the noise although it sounded like from the front-right when facing the car. The noise stopped after a minute or two.

Now when I switch the car on, after I move maybe a meter or two, I hear this sound (like the motor of liquidizer) for a couple of seconds and then stops. I am not sure but I think I heard the noise under breaking one time only.

Everything works fine; breaks, acceleration, gears. From a driving point of view I cannot feel any difference. I am going to take the car for repairs however I just wanted to know if anyone knows what the sound might be so I that I know what the mechanic is speaking about.
sim785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
post a video of it
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
sim785

I do not know what exactly is producing the sound. However I have taken a recording of when I start the car and move forward. The sound is at 14s.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...7-15-30-08.mp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
post a video of it
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

sounds like maybe your ABS actuator.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
sim785

Thanks, I heard it again under heavy breaking! Car still breaks and can't really see much of a difference but the sound is there so it means something is wrong!

Quote:
sounds like maybe your ABS actuator.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
sim785

I have been reading about ABS actuator and that sure looks like it might be the problem. That said, I am clearly hearing a motor running and there is no light turning on in the dashboard (ABS light), also the ABS seems to be triggering under breaking (I hear that noise). Is there anything i can check myself before take it to the garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim785 View Post
Thanks, I heard it again under heavy breaking! Car still breaks and can't really see much of a difference but the sound is there so it means something is wrong!
Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
sim785

Today I tried some heavy breaking. The ABS does trigger in; I can hear the usual sound from the ABS triggering. As said the car does stop ... but I do hear that motor sound as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim785 View Post
I have been reading about ABS actuator and that sure looks like it might be the problem. That said, I am clearly hearing a motor running and there is no light turning on in the dashboard (ABS light), also the ABS seems to be triggering under breaking (I hear that noise). Is there anything i can check myself before take it to the garage?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It is normal for the ABS actuator to self check when you first start moving after starting the car. If it should ever fail you would simply have non ABS brakes.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
sim785

Thanks Bluevitz. I only worried as I never had heard it before...

Could it be that the sound has become sharper (and therefore I am hearing it) because of lack of fluid or something like that?

Quote:
It is normal for the ABS actuator to self check when you first start moving after starting the car. If it should ever fail you would simply have non ABS brakes.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

If you had a lack of fluid your brakes would not work at all.

Have you ever had the brake system flushed?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
sim785

Quote:
Have you ever had the brake system flushed?
I changed break pads a couple of times and front break disks recently (a month or two ago). But I do not remember the service guys telling me they are flushing anything.

Should I do this?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Yes. Brake fluid over time absorbs water and needs to be flushed thru with new fluid.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:53 AM   #13
sim785

Quote:
Yes. Brake fluid over time absorbs water and needs to be flushed thru with new fluid.
I'll go through the service logs and I'll see if there is anything related to this. Thanks again for your help.